Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-01-2019, 16:58   #226
Senior Member+

Re: January transfer window.

Well said Exile !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-01-2019, 18:30   #227
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Good luck to Piero but, for Stanley, what a waste of a proven talent to have had him sitting on his backside for most of the season, and now no longer available if suspensions/injuries occur.
We all know Piero would never get picked before McConville but one thing that appears to be different this season is how less effective has been Jordan Clark. Before various interested parties rush to criticise, I rate Clark as probably Stanley’s best player, but this season, whether it’s a slight dip in his form or closer attention from opponents, he hasn’t appeared to have had as much impact as he did last year. Maybe i’m wrong and some stat-freak can prove it. But, when Piero re-signed, I assumed it was because either Clark would be leaving this month or that they’d be used as a pair, one coming one as a sub if goals were not forthcoming from the other. I’m very surprised that there do not appear to have been any offers for Clark this month, but wonder if that actually does confirm my impression.
Anyway, seems sad that Stanley can’t accommodate at the same time two of the best attacking players they’ve had.

I don’t agree with your sentiments regarding Clark.
As for him moving on he is under contract.
The club value him highly (financially) and clearly at a level to detract other clubs and it has worked.
Same for Callum Johnson.
Oliver Holt - one of the few journos I actually respect - described him as the best player on the pitch against Derby.
The club has a one year option at the end of the season and I can’t think of any scenario where that won’t be exercised.
Piero hardly played last season.
He was injured when he rejoined the club.
When he did get on the pitch he was average.
Who knows the reason for his leaving but I genuinely could not make a case for him starting.
Think about Clark’s work rate and his defensive abilities not just his attacking ability.
baldy, cashman and keep the faith like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 19:50   #228
God Member

I don’t know why but I kinda knew my post above would prompt a response from 28 implying something I didn’t write.
Read what I wrote; it’s not just the club that value him. The reason I thought he might leave is because he’s such a good player.
But i’d be delighted if you could show with evidence that this season Clark has been as effective in terms of goals and assists as he was last year. Does anyone have such info?
AccyMad, smudgie and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 20:26   #229
Senior Member+

8 goals 7 assists last season 3 goals three assists this season.
Still a way to go.
Every player at Stanley’s stats are down ........ but we’re in League One against better opposition !
Old 31-01-2019, 21:04   #230
God Member

THANKS, 28, here's hoping he can surpass last season's terrific effort.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 21:10   #231

28 and Exile, I think your both agreeing that Clark is one of our better players, indeed I was struck on how well he moved with the ball at times v Derby on a difficult pitch.
As a retired stato who keeps a hand in for my own interest and grey matter all stats are down. Clearly if we haven’t scored in 5 league games then assists aren’t going to be credited even if your giving it to forwards on a plate.
Clearly the 1 year option will be triggered, the bigger question is will he sign the extended deal that has been on the table ?
Clark has been a strong servant and I’m sure 28 will guide him as any representative would in a similar position. Our focus needs to be on getting a few wins and not getting sucked in.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 21:20   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
8 goals 7 assists last season 3 goals three assists this season.
Every player at Stanley’s stats are down ........ but we’re in League One against better opposition !
Think your last sentence highlights the crux of the problem for Stanley.
The history of football abounds with examples of 'second season' syndrome.
Take Huddersfield as an example. Promoted to the big time, they survived last season on adrenaline.
This season, largely with the same squad, they can barely scrape a draw.
We're trying to compete against better teams with league 2 standard players, albeit good ones.
We started well, but I think we've already been rumbled by those more established league 1 sides, not to mention those who were previously Championship level.
I'm sure we'll all be happy if we manage to survive our first season in league 1, but I fear for our long term future unless we can add some better quality players to our squad.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 21:22   #233
Senior Member+

I don’t represent him mate.
That’s a job for his Agent.
Extended deal ?
What deal ?
If you mean the one never formally made many months ago that was rumoured then clearly that won’t happen.
I think in time when fans look back they will say he’s one of the best free transfers in the clubs history.
Old 31-01-2019, 21:27   #234
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Think your last sentence highlights the crux of the problem for Stanley.
The history of football abounds with examples of 'second season' syndrome.
Take Huddersfield as an example. Promoted to the big time, they survived last season on adrenaline.
This season, largely with the same squad, they can barely scrape a draw.
We're trying to compete against better teams with league 2 standard players, albeit good ones.
We started well, but I think we've already been rumbled by those more established league 1 sides, not to mention those who were previously Championship level.
I'm sure we'll all be happy if we manage to survive our first season in league 1, but I fear for our long term future unless we can add some better quality players to our squad.
You’re right Lord.
Ive always says finishing sixth from bottom this season would be nothing short of amazing and I’m absolutely confident League One it will be next season.
However then come the big decisions.
Invest in the playing staff or continue as usual.
That will determine much.
Old 31-01-2019, 21:35   #235

28, cant disagree with any of that.
As for agency, you’ve made that point before and I believe you. I was making the point that your clearly close to him in how you “fight his corner” (rarely needed) and from the leads you tease us all with , clearly have a connection to the industry. On that basis whether you formally rep or not, you have his ear so to speak.
For what it’s worth I think he’ll go in September for a good price.
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07   #236
Senior Member+

Not seen as much of Clarke as I would have liked,but never seen him have a bad game!!!
Is it me or does he remind you of a young Jimmy Ryan !!!,great energy coupled with good technique.
Hope he gets a pop at a higher level
cashman likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 15:17   #237

Clark is far and away the best player we've evrr had. His ball control is not surpassed in this league. I do think though, that we have a problem defensively down the right side as his forays forward leave Johnson wide open to the counter by all the opposition that Clark leaves on their backsides
Spartacus2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 15:27   #238
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Another young striker signed today on a contract as he was a free agent, good move imho. Simmonds from Blackburn.
Old 01-02-2019, 15:45   #239
God Member

Another striker, just what we need!!!!

Sorry, but do not get it.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 16:48   #240
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Another striker, just what we need!!!!

Sorry, but do not get it.

Free Agents can join any time i believe joe.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..