Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2004, 21:54   #1

Jonothan Smith

Had an excellent home debut for Barrow yesterday (shame no one else did) and won every header and evry tackle. Not the quickest or most skilful but gave his all and won MOM.
Flitcroft was only a sub and didn't get much chance to impress although he did start at the weekend and put in some good crosses.
We have lost our opening two games 2-1 and 2-0 to Harrogate and Southport respectively and things aren't looking good. What are the chances (if any) of us getting Smith permanently or on a longer loan deal?

Cheers
Bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2004, 22:02   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Jonothan Smith

I think Craney may go to the league first though I cant see why Cardiff City would want Smith?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 22:08   #3

Talking Re: Jonothan Smith

Good un

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2004, 22:58   #4
God Member

If it means the mighty Barrow keep losing then you keep hold of him mate

hehe

Nagh seriously... We miss him up front for corners but otherwise it doesn't look like theres a place for him... Unless theres a lot of injuries down here i can't see him coming back at the end of the months loan...
Old 19-08-2004, 11:26   #5
Senior Member+

I think you're right Kipax. Although the chances of Smith staying up there permanently must be slim, as he wouldn't want to go back to part-time football so soon after turning professional.

I think Smith is a decent NPL player, but unless we have injuries I can't see him getting a place very soon.
Old 19-08-2004, 14:00   #6

I think some folks are forgetting how much Jonathan Smith contributed to Stanley's current status. There were matches in our all-conquering Unibond Premier season when he was a stalwart and vital to our team. Who can forget Droylesden on a Saturday where he had teeth knocked out and other serious injuries yet pleaded to play (and went with the squad) at Whitby the next day! He'll play his heart out for Barrow while he's there - he doesn't know any other way and will be MOTM on a regular basis! The only thing wrong with Smithy is that he's never had an experienced central defender with League experience to aid his development - a problem still very much to the fore nowadays I'm afraid. Some of the comments of the "Oh, he's not good enough for us now type" are an insult to the lad and, in my opinion at least, pompous and undeserved. The club should welcome him back home and do everything to see that his talent develops to its full potential.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 14:17   #7
God Member

Just because someone offers the opinion that he isn't up to conference standard at the moment (An opinion that would seem to be shared by Coley) doesn't mean we are knocking the guy .

My opinion would seem to be the same as Colemans.. he isnt up to conference standard at the moment... Coley wouldnt have signed him if he didnt think he would be at some point.

Sorry if you dont like that opinion.. But no need to insult me or anyone else by accusing us of insulting him or suggesting we have forgoton or dont appreciate what Smithy has done for the club . You cant just put him in the team because he did well in the Unibond two seasons ago. he has to be doing well NOW!... Sorry but thats life...

PS
I would love to see Smithy pull on the shirt and play top class conference football for us and it may happen. But right now it isn't and I cant see when it will at the moment.

Last edited by KIPAX; 19-08-2004 at 14:19.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 15:12   #8

Sorry fella...saying a player isn't up to Conference standard IS "knocking the guy". I made some constructive comments as to why Smithy may not have developed as fast as he might have. Did you read them and, if so, what may be your own views re the same. You rightly point out that the manager thinks he can contribute at Conference level or he wouldn't have signed him. Well sign an experienced centre half, shove Smithy in next to him and let's all see the result! We're all entitled to our opinions and mine is that Smithy is good enough to play for us in the Conference NOW but will get even better if his development is handled well!
Old 19-08-2004, 15:32   #9

Talking Re: Jonothan Smith

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Hehehe

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 15:47   #10
God Member

qualtrough: i am glad you realise its a difference of opinion.. let me have mine without insulting my inteligence or suggesting i have forgotton what the player has done for the club... there was no need for that was there..
Old 19-08-2004, 16:08   #11

I think Smith has the ability to become a regular again, his game at Exeter at the end of the season showed he can play at this level, he doesn't seem to get his chance though but if the players before you are doing the business its hard work i suppose !!!
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 16:20   #12
Senior Member+

Yeh i agree Shurm, Smith was top class against Exeter.......if he comes back to stanley he'll just have to take his chance to impress again when it comes round.....
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 16:21   #13
Resting In Peace

I agree with Kipax, and I said so last season, I don't think Smithy is up to Conference standard, this is not insulting him this is just passing an opinion. If someone said that I wasn't up to Conference standard that wouldn't be insulting me. It's all too often that when somebody passes an opinion another person attacks him without any constructive critisism. We know Smithy played his part in the Unibond, so did a lot of others who are no longer with us, but please, let people have their opinion without attacking them.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 18:02   #14

I had no intention of confiscating anyone else's opinion or insulting their intelligence nor do I have any powers to do so. I just said it as I see it. Glad to see though that I'm not alone in thinking Smithy quite capable of playing Conference football. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 20-08-2004, 12:53   #15
Senior Member+

:engsmil: According to the first poster he's capable of playing for Cardiff

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..