Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 11:19   #61
God Member

Re: Kenny Arthur

I am absolutely gutted at this news and although I wish him good luck in his career I really can't wish him well at Rochdale unless he lets a few in when we play them

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2009, 15:00   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Until 3 weeks ago we were a solvent club, we had no debts
Sorry, Macca. You've lost me there.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 15:05   #63
God Member

That's what we were always told RR - that the club had no debt or any major creditor to bend over for.
Then the tax bill story broke.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 17:01   #64
Senior Member+

Apologies! I didn't read Macca's post properly. I blame my age.
Old 10-06-2009, 22:06   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
in fairness to the club we are always going to struggle to keep hold of better players simply because we will always struggle to compete financially with our fellow League clubs. We can't afford to offer better or longer contracts to anybody really, and in particular this year.

Forgetting the why's and wherefore's of whose fault our predicament is, I am grateful that we have a club and losing players (albeit for free) doesn't bother me at the moment.

One way or another we are taking our chances this year and gambling the league status, If this is the case I would be prepared to accept an even greater wage reduction and gamble on trying to secure the best of the crop of the released kids from around the north west. You win nowt with kids? just ask Alan Hansen!

The post above is without doubt the most accurate assessment of the situation. All clubs with a small fanbase have to take a reality check.

My own club up North (Clyde) for the first time in years opted to give our best players 2 year deals. Due to falling attendances after poor results and lost sponsorship (sound familiar) we fell £150k in debt, on top of the £150k we already owed. That coupled with relegation meant all players who were out of contract were released, and the 12 contracted for next year have ripped up their contracts and walked away in order to save the club going into administration.

Instead of long term contracts, we must do a better job of scouting lower leagues each year and take a chance on guys with potential to play at a higher level, and couple that with a couple of loan deals. Much better to have a club than to make commitments that can't be fulfilled.

I've read a few posts recently talking about how we should be aiming to be an ambitious League side - surely Stanley already are - their ambition with such a low player budget has to be first and foremost to stay in the league. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
Old 10-06-2009, 22:23   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmeister View Post
The post above is without doubt the most accurate assessment of the situation. All clubs with a small fanbase have to take a reality check.

My own club up North (Clyde) for the first time in years opted to give our best players 2 year deals. Due to falling attendances after poor results and lost sponsorship (sound familiar) we fell £150k in debt, on top of the £150k we already owed. That coupled with relegation meant all players who were out of contract were released, and the 12 contracted for next year have ripped up their contracts and walked away in order to save the club going into administration.

Instead of long term contracts, we must do a better job of scouting lower leagues each year and take a chance on guys with potential to play at a higher level, and couple that with a couple of loan deals. Much better to have a club than to make commitments that can't be fulfilled.

I've read a few posts recently talking about how we should be aiming to be an ambitious League side - surely Stanley already are - their ambition with such a low player budget has to be first and foremost to stay in the league. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
yer last paragraph is a blinder colmeister............. SPOT ON.
Old 11-06-2009, 20:39   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
I certainly have posted several times in recent years, and indeed in this thread, about us being an ambitious League club. The realist in me wants to agree with you. But I can't. If we accept the status quo, we will never improve. Surely we have reached our present situation by being ambitious; otherwise we would still be in the Unibond.

In my most recent post, I used the words League club, which is more than a League side. Part of the ambition that we must have - and display - is to improve the player budget; indeed to improve all aspects of the club : management, administration, playing. That is what I mean by ambition. If we don't try to improve in all aspects, we will soon stagnate. Let's not forget that we are considered by many to be something of a "Mickey Mouse" team. We must work hard to get rid of that image. We must be seen to be ambitious.
Old 11-06-2009, 21:40   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

revived red, whilst i can go with yer sentiments, quite a few have worked very hard to improve stanleys gates n image and they deserve great credit,whilst nowt wrong at all with trying hard- Banging yer head against the wall, springs to mind, with the income/revenue/gates etc i'm more than happy if they can just retain league status, its blindly obvious to me they are punching above their weight.
Old 11-06-2009, 22:32   #69
God Member

i think that the struggle is to acheive the right balance between ambition and consolidation. Part of our current problems stem from the fact that we rose quickly and the club side of things struggled to keep up. We kind of expected that a League side would automatically attract the extra thousands of spectators, and likewise the sponsorships, the merchandise etc. We didn't work hard enough at giving value for money off the pitch as though we expected the on the pitch efforts to compensate. Unfortunately the magic wore off and the problems became exposed - all of a sudden we were out of our depth without the funds to buy our way out of trouble (off the pitch).

The major obstacle now is that we have to divert funds from the playing staff in order to provide the necessary input to the infrastructure(and the debts), in order to provide the extra funds necessary to improve the squad! catch 22.

The win, win answer here is if the whole club, fanbase and indeed the town, can get behind the fighting fund efforts. A huge effort here may give us an extra half million or so pounds that are needed to ramp up the off the field set up. The extra money, more than coupled with the various expertise that can be called upon from the fan pool, should overhaul the club structure and give us the impetus to kick on.

Belts have been tightened this year and we have to understand that it may be a struggle to survive, but hopefully this time next year we will have successfully completed the job, the debts will be all but gone and we will be back to being a profitable, successful club that has the community as its heartbeat.

I wold urge all to commit themselves fully to the cause this year. Do what you can, when you can and where you can. Don't leave it to someone else to save the club, save it yourself. Accept the on the field failings this season (if they do materialise) and keep on trying where possible to attract a new fan. Buy a shirt and a scarf, help with the various sponsored events that will happen, attend any functions and bring the family. Money is tight, but if there is something you were going to buy anyway, can you buy it from the club? Drink at the clubhoue rather than in town, buy a birthday/christmas gift from the club shop - even if the choice is limited.

As Delboy would say - "this time next year we could be millionaires"
Old 11-06-2009, 23:46   #70
God Member

"Mange tous Macca,Mange Tous"

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03   #71
God Member

Good post Rob

Somehow what is being shown now has to be harnessed and taken further step by step, The Club has to become the hub of the community, something to be proud of , something to be part of and something to grow with!

The biggest single lesson for everyone has to be clarity that goes for both the Club & Fighting Fund
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I certainly have posted several times in recent years, and indeed in this thread, about us being an ambitious League club. The realist in me wants to agree with you. But I can't. If we accept the status quo, we will never improve. Surely we have reached our present situation by being ambitious; otherwise we would still be in the Unibond.

In my most recent post, I used the words League club, which is more than a League side. Part of the ambition that we must have - and display - is to improve the player budget; indeed to improve all aspects of the club : management, administration, playing. That is what I mean by ambition. If we don't try to improve in all aspects, we will soon stagnate. Let's not forget that we are considered by many to be something of a "Mickey Mouse" team. We must work hard to get rid of that image. We must be seen to be ambitious.

Revived - wasn't you I was referring too. And in fact I actually with your sentiments. My own side is effectively I guess a mickey mouse club yet with the smallest budget in the league finished runners up in the league twice in the last 9 years.

My post was purely referring to the current situation. The fact that the club is £300k in debt and having to pay back £25k per month means that the ambition (for the present moment at least) is to simply remain in league football.

However, a year down the line if Stanley are still a div 2 club and the debt is all gone then, there is no reason why Stanley's ambitions can't change to that of a club aiming for the play-offs. I've seen it happen up here with a far smaller club and it can happen for Stanley too. We finished 2nd purely because our manager had superb contacts and brought real class to a side that effectively had no real budget. (and oh how that riles the so-called 'bigger sides' who harped on about us having no right to even be in the league). The same can be achieved with Stanley if the manager signs players wisely, but in the meatime I just wanna see the club survive in League 2 and see where we go from there.

Last edited by Colmeister; 12-06-2009 at 09:27.
Colmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:12   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yer last paragraph is a blinder colmeister............. SPOT ON.

Better diary note it cashman, Xmas comes more regularly than me talking sense!
Old 12-06-2009, 15:19   #74
Senior Member+

Quote:
Revived - wasn't you I was referring too. And in fact I actually with your sentiments. My own side is effectively I guess a mickey mouse club yet with the smallest budget in the league finished runners up in the league twice in the last 9 years.

My post was purely referring to the current situation. The fact that the club is £300k in debt and having to pay back £25k per month means that the ambition (for the present moment at least) is to simply remain in league football.

However, a year down the line if Stanley are still a div 2 club and the debt is all gone then, there is no reason why Stanley's ambitions can't change to that of a club aiming for the play-offs. I've seen it happen up here with a far smaller club and it can happen for Stanley too. We finished 2nd purely because our manager had superb contacts and brought real class to a side that effectively had no real budget. (and oh how that riles the so-called 'bigger sides' who harped on about us having no right to even be in the league). The same can be achieved with Stanley if the manager signs players wisely, but in the meatime I just wanna see the club survive in League 2 and see where we go from there.
Thanks, Col. Yes, I reckon that fundamentally we are in agreement. As Macca says, let's do all we can to ensure survival in the coming season and then ..... .
Old 13-06-2009, 17:16   #75
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Coleman will keep Accrington Stanley up, says Arthur Lancashire Telegraph - Accrington Stanley

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..