Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 12:31   #1
Resting In Peace

Kenny Arthur

Looks like Kenny has joined that 'big club' Grimsby

Rochdale News | Rochdale AFC News | Arthur signs for Grimsby - Rochdale Online
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-06-2010, 12:35   #2
God Member

Re: Kenny Arthur

Why is he going league lower for & why hasnt coley made a good bid for him

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:03   #3
God Member

This is a real shame. Perhaps this shows to people who weren't already aware, the sheer lack of resources we have at our disposal. It also shows how much the club was operating beyond its means before last season. The fact is we have been unable to compete with a non-league team in the chase for two players' signatures. Good luck Coley, you're gunna need it!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:28   #4
God Member

Damn & blast!! That's a real blow - really thought we'd sign Kenny back here - gutted
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 13:48   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
This is a real shame. Perhaps this shows to people who weren't already aware, the sheer lack of resources we have at our disposal. It also shows how much the club was operating beyond its means before last season. The fact is we have been unable to compete with a non-league team in the chase for two players' signatures. Good luck Coley, you're gunna need it!
That just about nails it Bang On IMHO. gutted Kenny went elsewhere, but understandable.
Old 08-06-2010, 13:52   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I don't think it shows the 'sheer lack of resources' at Stanley but indicates that Grimsby have money in the bank. Don't forget, Grimsby had the finances available to offer Stanley £100,000 for Symes last January. Not many league two teams would be able to do that.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:03   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I don't think it shows the 'sheer lack of resources' at Stanley but indicates that Grimsby have money in the bank. Don't forget, Grimsby had the finances available to offer Stanley £100,000 for Symes last January. Not many league two teams would be able to do that.
Grimsby will have lost floater fans and revenue after being relegated to non-league, shirley their budget has been adjusted accordingly and won't be offering the same wages as they were in the FL? Obviously they'll be better off than the vast majority of BSP teams, but they will still have had to downsize. The fact that we as a Football League club can't compete with Grimsby even after their scaled down budget really shows, to me anyway, how little we have to offer.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:05   #8
Senior Member+

I agree.
Grimsby are unique in having both cash and a genuine ambition/chance of going straight back into league 2.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:07   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Grimsby will have lost floater fans and revenue after being relegated to non-league, shirley their budget has been adjusted accordingly and won't be offering the same wages as they were in the FL? Obviously they'll be better off than the vast majority of BSP teams, but they will still have had to downsize. The fact that we as a Football League club can't compete with Grimsby even after their scaled down budget really shows, to me anyway, how little we have to offer.
Surely, whether they're non-league or not is irrelevant? I'll bet they've sold more season tickets than us and I'll bet their gates are higher than ours next season, so they'll simply have more financial resources at their disposal to offer more attractive wages than we can.
Old 08-06-2010, 14:14   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Surely, whether they're non-league or not is irrelevant? I'll bet they've sold more season tickets than us and I'll bet their gates are higher than ours next season, so they'll simply have more financial resources at their disposal to offer more attractive wages than we can.
agree wi that also, but its still a slap in the kisser,when players go non league fer better money, simple fact.
Old 08-06-2010, 14:17   #11
Junior Member+

Sorry we've got Kempson and now Arthur. How do you rate these two? Can see you struggling to stay up next season?

Last edited by GTFC Mike; 08-06-2010 at 14:20.
GTFC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:23   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Looks like Kenny has joined that 'big club' Grimsby

Rochdale News | Rochdale AFC News | Arthur signs for Grimsby - Rochdale Online

We will always be a bigger club than you
GTFC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:25   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree wi that also, but its still a slap in the kisser,when players go non league fer better money, simple fact.
Yep, it is, it's almost humiliating in a way. But seems to me it's a reflection of the way the balance has shifted over the years. BSP clubs like Grimsby, Luton, Wrexham and Cambridge can probably wield more financial clout than FL clubs like ourselves, Macc and Barnet. The one ray of light is the Daggers who have proved that it is possible to achieve success with gates similar to ourselves.
Old 08-06-2010, 14:31   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFC Mike View Post
Sorry we've got Kempson and now Arthur. How do you rate these two? Can see you struggling to stay up next season?
Kenny is well loved by all oer here good keeper, opinions vary about kempson, if ya like the big boot ya will love him, personally i won't miss him. as fer us struggling next season......ya don't know coley, i'll reserve judgement until 4/5 games, as he usually pulls rabbits outa his hat.

Last edited by cashman; 08-06-2010 at 14:37.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:55   #15
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yep, it is, it's almost humiliating in a way. But seems to me it's a reflection of the way the balance has shifted over the years. BSP clubs like Grimsby, Luton, Wrexham and Cambridge can probably wield more financial clout than FL clubs like ourselves, Macc and Barnet. The one ray of light is the Daggers who have proved that it is possible to achieve success with gates similar to ourselves.
But for all their financial clout, Luton, Wexham and Cambridge didn't win promotion back to the FL and there's no guarantee that Grimsby will do the same. If we, like Macc & Barnet, can live within our means and stay in the FL, that is the most important thing to me. Too many clubs have gone bust trying to chase promotion!
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..