Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2016, 09:20   #16

Re: kettle watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Aren't there enough Saturday jobs as parking wardens for these muppets that they have to ruin football games?
Please God not that!
They'd be hanging on your bonnet, sticking a notice on your screen as you drove away 0.0000001 seconds after your allotted time.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Please God not that!
They'd be hanging on your bonnet, sticking a notice on your screen as you drove away 0.0000001 seconds after your allotted time.
You mean you've met some who don't? Maybe they give your lordship's Lanchester a bit of slack when it's parked on the double yellows outside Lidl.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Robert Whitton joined the Kettle Club today, blowing the final whistle just as a Whitehawk player kicked a 30-yarder into the net. Whitehawk's keeper then got sent off for complaining. Fortunately for us, he's not let loose on League matches very often.
See Whitehawk 1-1 Stourbridge - BBC Sport
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:44   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Seems Kettle musta been giving lessons. Clowns like these can ruin seasons for some unfortunates,as we well know.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:12   #20

In fairness to this ref, he blew with the ball in the air prior to it even being kicked.
I doubt in his wildest dreams he could not have envisaged it was a goal scoring opportunity.
I'd also say that whilst the goalie dived he initially looked like he'd stopped when the whistle blew.

If he'd allowed it there would have been protests from the other side.
yerself and Greger like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:37   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
In fairness to this ref....I doubt in his wildest dreams he could not have envisaged it was a goal scoring opportunity..
Maybe not, but almost anyone who plays or has played football would have known the ball and game wasn't 'dead'.

But then some us erroneously believe football is about entertainment and scoring goals, whereas we now know it's really only about immaculate timing keeping.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 06-11-2016, 13:11   #22

I dunno. From the refs position that looping ball was just heading aimlessly towards a defender and attacker when he put his whistle to his mouth. I get what you are saying it's just that whilst it may have been a poor decision not to wait another couple of seconds it was still understandable that he made it.
not a ludicrous decision in my humble opinion.
Old 06-11-2016, 13:14   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ludicrous in my view, it aint difficult fer any official to blow the whistle when the play is non threatening to any side.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 06-11-2016, 19:43   #24
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
That news has ruined my day. They must be absolutely desperate for refs to keep that idiot on the list.
This issue was mentioned on the radio with Dan Jewel and the short answer is yes there is a desperate shortage of officials. I am a little loathe to criticise match officials but some are that bad they deserve the stick. The damage caused to Stanley last season was awful yet the ref just carries on regardless. A decision like that could easily have put a lesser club out of business. The FA should review such bad decisions particularly where the consequences are so damaging to a club. Even force a rematch if needs be or financially help the club who have sustained serious losses. I like to believe referees make honest mistakes and Liners do as well. We all pull our hair out when it seems a blatantly wrong decision. We have the technology to rewind and change a decision if necessary. would you really want to be a liner???
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 20:30   #25

Nope. I've tried being a linesman and was hopeless. I tended to start thinking about what I was going to have for my tea or watching what was going on on the next pitch.....and next thing you know there were loads of people shouting at me for not flagging for something-or-other.

I'm actually amazed how good linesmen are. It's the refs who are just so inconsistent with how tolerant they are. I can forgive refs for getting decisions wrong (even the most hawk eyed ref can't see through a crowd of players) providing they let the game flow and don't do silly things.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:15   #26
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1180795]Nope. I've tried being a linesman and was hopeless. I tended to start thinking about what I was going to have for my tea or watching what was going on on the next pitch.....
i know the feeling as i,ve always thought of myself as a decent referee but totally useless as a lino. can,t get into the game and some of the referees i,ve been with don,t want you to do this and that. when people slag lino,s off you don,t know what their pre match instructions from the ref are. both managers should be informed of this prior to the game so there,d be less problems on the bench. use common sense and not always every law of the game and realise you,re there for the game and not the other way round is a way forward for officials. unfortunatly some seem on an ego trip at every level of the game.
Chrisr and Lord Didsbury like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 15:28   #27
God Member

Too late for any benefit for Stanley but maybe Mr.Teapot has learned a lesson. On Saturday's match at Cambridge he didn't blow his whistle until Wycombe had scored a 95th minute winner.
Old 22-11-2016, 08:55   #28
Full Member+

We have got Mr Kettle tonight for our game at Crewe I believe.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:02   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
God help ya!!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:45   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
Deepest Sympathy. n if i'm giving that to an opponent, it says it all.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..