Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2008, 16:26   #16
God Member

Re: League Position!!!

Just wanted to add my 'welcome back Mr Morton' to the throng!! Sparkie and I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you once again at the FES.

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2008, 20:47   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redash View Post
Welcome back Henry Morton. I, and many others, have missed your unique writing style, please carry on.

Thank you, Redash.

Thanks also to subsequent posters for your kind comments.

I hope to be well enough to attend a home match before the end of the season; it's been far too long and I've missed my friends and my Club.

(And before anyone asks, no I haven't been to the Shay either - even though it's only a few hundred yards from my home!)

Revived Red, I'm sure that this season will turn out to be a one-off which provided a unique opportunity for ASFC. Back to 'progress' next season, I'm sure.

Compliments of the (Christmas) Season to all !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 11:33   #18
Full Member+

Welcome back Henry. It's great to have you posting again. Hope you have a great Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 15:24   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morton View Post
If I was a gambler (which I'm not) I'd put my money on that astonishing man, that unique person in the history of Accrington Stanley, that human computer (because ordinary computers don't swear) , that splendid fellow called Eric Whalley.

Eric and his colleagues would have had it all worked out many months ago, and I trust that the season will finish exactly as planned, with minimum capital outlay.
I have been intrigued by this post for several days. I think it raises two important issues.

1. If Eric and his colleagues really are as clever as you say, why has it taken them so long, on their own admission and in their own words, to come to terms with what it means to become a Football League club?

2. If you are correct in assuming that Eric and colleagues have committed to minimum outlay this season because of the unusual circumstances which should keep us safe from relegation, are we correct in assuming that we can look forward to more than minimum outlay next season?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 17:33   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I have been intrigued by this post for several days. I think it raises two important issues.

1. If Eric and his colleagues really are as clever as you say, why has it taken them so long, on their own admission and in their own words, to come to terms with what it means to become a Football League club?

2. If you are correct in assuming that Eric and colleagues have committed to minimum outlay this season because of the unusual circumstances which should keep us safe from relegation, are we correct in assuming that we can look forward to more than minimum outlay next season?
Rev,

Like the post, and somewhat portrays my thoughts! What will happen next season???
We can not accept what has be going on over the last few seasons, WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT! WE ARE STANLEY FOR GOODNESS SAKE, look at Hull,Stoke,Reading,Wigan and the list goes on. We have some of the most passionate fans in the world and we deserve better!!! (I accept The Dave Whelan/ John Madejski Factor)

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 18:53   #21
Senior Member+

one thing they have which we dont is money! and until someone comes in with alot of it but lets coley and jimmy run the team how they want and they just sign the checks pay the wages,make better facilities, changeing room, toliets etc! than we will just get minimum which is still good though i know some people who dont want to big money man to come in as he might put us in debt etc which they have got a point

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 20:42   #22
God Member

I'd like to be somewhere in the middle - everything we have has been earned and has been got with astuteness from Mr Whalley and his board BUT I sometimes wish we showed a bit more nouse with speculation to accumulate, a lot more consideration and communication with and to the fans, and a little less of the 'lets do the bare minimum' attitude. If we had showed a bit more willingness to accomodate the fans in the earlier days we may have more of them now - but on the other hand we may not be where we are on the footballing ladder if we had. By the same token, we would never have known that by spending more on facilities and the backroom that we were sacrificing League football for it. What I do know is that we haven't got a sugar daddy and gates aren't going to increase substantially any time soon. So any extra money has got to come from creativety - have we got any?
Old 01-01-2009, 16:16   #23
Senior Member+

This is what the league table would look like without the deductions for other clubs:

1st Wycombe 23 46
2nd Brentford 22 41
3rd Bradford 23 39
4th Dagenham 22 37
5th Shrewsbury 23 37
6th Darlington 22 37
7th Rotherham 22 36
8th Exeter 22 36
9th Rochdale 22 35
10th Bury 23 35
11th Gillingham 23 34
12th Aldershot 22 34
13th Lincoln 23 30
14th Luton Town 23 29
15th Chesterfield 23 28
16th Macclesfield Town 23 27
17th Port Vale 23 26
18th Morecambe 23 25
19th Bournemouth 23 24
20th Notts County 23 24
21st Chester City 23 23
22nd Accrington Stanley 22 22
23rd Barnet 23 19
24th Grimsby 23 14

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 16:55   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
This is what the league table would look like without the deductions for other clubs:

1st Wycombe 23 46
2nd Brentford 22 41
3rd Bradford 23 39
4th Dagenham 22 37
5th Shrewsbury 23 37
6th Darlington 22 37
7th Rotherham 22 36
8th Exeter 22 36
9th Rochdale 22 35
10th Bury 23 35
11th Gillingham 23 34
12th Aldershot 22 34
13th Lincoln 23 30
14th Luton Town 23 29
15th Chesterfield 23 28
16th Macclesfield Town 23 27
17th Port Vale 23 26
18th Morecambe 23 25
19th Bournemouth 23 24
20th Notts County 23 24
21st Chester City 23 23
22nd Accrington Stanley 22 22
23rd Barnet 23 19
24th Grimsby 23 14
And our game in hand is against Brentford - so thats 23 22 and a worse GD, with 3 very tough games coming up (RochdaleA/DarlingtonH/BradfordA) before Barnet!!!!!

We MUST improve and MUST get better!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 17:59   #25

Thank heavens for the point deductions,I believe we may have been relegated without them. Lets hope for a much improved second half to the season.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 18:02   #26
Senior Member+

Just imagine if Martians had invaded Earth and destroyed all footballs...... what would the table look like then?

Points were deducted. End of story.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..