Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2018, 19:50   #16

Re: Let's Have a Spireites Thread

Chesterfield were weakest side at Wham yet. Game over after 47 mins- how often do we say that? Stats very misleading.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2018, 22:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Chesterfield were weakest side at Wham yet. Game over after 47 mins- how often do we say that? Stats very misleading.
Sorry, but how can stats be misleading - they're hard facts!
Either Chesterfield had 49% possession - or they didn't!
Either we had 6 shots on target to their 5 - or did we?
Yes! We deserved to win the game, but we were gifted - & I do mean gifted, 2 goals by their goalkeeper.
They came close to scoring a couple of times which, but for Chapman, could have gone in.
On another day their goalie could have played a blinder, instead of having a nightmare.
The difference between winning & losing can be wafer thin.
Chesterfield may well be a poor side, but you've got to give them credit for not giving up, even after going 3-0 down, they still kept battling.
They brought 341 fans with them yesterday to swell our coffers.
Should we show them some respect, or are we going to crow about their 4-0 thrashing, like that cocky idiot from Lincoln who came on our forum recently & did exactly the same to us?
There's a motto - 'Humility in victory - defiance in defeat!
We'd all do well to follow it.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:44   #18

Exile and Monkey - yes, I thought the refs crapness was that he was too fussy.

Lord Stiff - I kind of agree with where you are going i.e., that 4-0 flattered us, but stats can still be facts and misleading.
If their possession was largely non threatening passing in the own half when we were already 3-0 up, and their shots on target were lame long range shots born of frustration, that's going to show up in stats the same as a team cutting the opposition to ribbons when they have the ball.
The fact their goalie gifted us two goals is no different than, say, mistakes in their defence. Or needlessly losing possession in midfield. It's still part of the overall team performance.
Tin Monkey and cashman like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:30   #19

Be interesting to see the stats after 47 mins- when we switched off. I would imagine they present a different perspective on the game.

If I were a Spireite I would not take a great deal of comfort in the performance or consider it the fairly even contest the stats over 90mins suggest.

Chesterfield look a shadow of the team we played in September when they were unfortunate to loose with 10 men.
Old 08-01-2018, 16:06   #20

Quote:
Be interesting to see the stats after 47 mins- when we switched off. I would imagine they present a different perspective on the game.
If I were a Spireite I would not take a great deal of comfort in the performance or consider it the fairly even contest the stats over 90mins suggest.
Inspector M, my recollection of the game, ignoring the actual goals, was that possession was fairly even over the 90 minutes.
However, let's assume you are correct & that we dominated the game for the first 45 minutes - by say 60/40% in our favour.
To achieve a 51/49% after 90 minutes means Chesterfield had to literally reverse that ratio & achieve almost 60% possession for the entire 2nd half.
Do you believe that actually happened?
Having read some posts on the Spirerites forum, I know they are hurting after their humiliation & already feel doomed to relegation.
Let's not rub salt in an open wound by describing them as 'rubbish, crap, the worst team seen at the Wham'.
Saturday was simply a day when everything went right for us, and everything went wrong for them.
Let's give all our opponents the respect they deserve, whether they're bottom of the league or top.
At the end of the day, we're all brothers-in-arms just trying to survive.
One day - God forbid! We may be the one's in the pit of despair.
chevyfire likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 18:39   #21

In fairness, none of us (to my knowledge) have been on their forum saying they were crap? That would be disrespectful.

Judging by the "facts" they are second bottom with the worst goal difference. They are a poor team and I saw nothing at all to suggest they will turn it around.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 19:26   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Speaking to a couple of spirite fans they were saying they were crap.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 08-01-2018, 20:17   #23
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Speaking to a couple of spirite fans they were saying they were crap.
Well even there manager called one of his players Dick head so they must have been crap, diving faking injury, Scott Brown mom for me popped up every where!
Old 08-01-2018, 20:22   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Their manager is a real Chesterfielder, played for em and was a damn good striker, hes talking like that yet "We" are being disrespectful??? so the truth must be so.
Old 08-01-2018, 20:38   #25

Not dissin the Spirites- I have a soft spot for them and want them to stay up.
IMHO Saturday's display was the worst I've seen this season so far- there has to be one.
Old 08-01-2018, 21:00   #26
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Not dissin the Spirites- I have a soft spot for them and want them to stay up.
IMHO Saturday's display was the worst I've seen this season so far- there has to be one.
Big club with a fantastic fan base deserves better, but having said that it's all about winning games and if you don't win enough then you no the end game. Hope they do stay up thou

Last edited by mab; 08-01-2018 at 21:07.
mab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:49   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Dont know anyone that wishes the Spireites ill, but it certainly shouldn't put any fan off telling the truth (in there eyes) about what they see. imho.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:37   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
They were as bad a side as Ive seen up yon since Stockport County
plus hartlepool second part of last season and york a few seasons back. for me they have one thing in common and that is relagation. pity as there are others in our division that i,d love to see the back of.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:23   #29
Senior Member+

they have been taken over today by chinese investors in a deal worth £10 million
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:32   #30
Senior Member+

Stanley played really well and with confidence. When this happens a team seem to get the 'lucky breaks' too.... For example, in the two gifts from their keeper.
When a team loses confidence their play becomes erratic, mistakes creep in and the 'luck' seems to disappear too. This can be summed up as 'Relegation Form'.
To their credit Chestefield didn't resort to unfair tactics, as some teams would, and they continued to try to play football in the right way and they did improve a bit in the second half.
We played well,scored a couple of great goals and had a 'bit of luck' with two more! Hence a 4 - 0 victory! Well played Stanley!
The referee Sarginson was once again just awful. Had we lost we would be giving him even far more stick!
AccyMad and chevyfire like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 09-01-2018 at 11:34.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..