Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-12-2017, 08:39   #76
Full Member+

Re: Lincoln's physical imps match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Good that sense has been seen in this case BUT Same old, same old reaction from fans. Kicking out at the ref.
we should accept they are human and make occasional mistakes, but that it evens itself over the season
OR we need to campaign to stop play and rely on a fourth official with a TV feed.
There's no other way.

Officials are generally improving, but they will always make mistakes. What's the point of suspending one of them when they make a howler? We should be taking the pressure off them, not adding to it.

that's in my humble opinion of course.
Do you mean like some folk do when players make mistakes.
AccyMad likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-12-2017, 08:48   #77
God Member

Officials are generally improving, but they will always make mistakes. What's the point of suspending one of them when they make a howler? We should be taking the pressure off them, not adding to it.

that's in my humble opinion of course.[/QUOTE]

there are actually 3 of em out there plus a fourth official. agree they are only human and mistakes happen but too many are being made. think some have forgotten the days when they were on their own on a local parks pitch with no one even helping em give ball out of play. a lot live in their own little bubble and the only topic of conversation especially with the young up and coming ones is referee related.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 17:16   #78
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
No Sir;

Some things we keep "in house"

I know some on here don't like this policy, but you can't please everybody!!
Stop beating about the bush.
Lord D he was dropped because in the cup game he couldn't handle their physical approach.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:08   #79

For as long as I can remember fans (and players) have said referees are getting worse. If this supposed steady decline were true the standard now be shockingly poor compared to decades ago.
In fact, any research done (that i can find) points to the opposite.

Linesmen in particular are surely light years better then they used to be. No longer do they have to just look at who's closest to the goalie when the ball was kicked, they also need to cater for players who might be offside and who don't touch the ball. I'm completely amazed how good they are when you see slo-mo replays on the telly box.

refs now have to apply more subtle judgement in a game that's faster, with players more skilled at diving. It used to be "did that tackle break his leg", now it's "was the angle of his foot slightly raised when he brushed his ankle"?

They have to do this, with every game televised.

Every week I used to groan if Elleray or Rennie or others of that ilk used to be in charge - and they were supposedly the top refs. Now, there's rarely a ref comes to Stanley that has a shocker. Sure, I see loads of incidents I don't agree with, but no doubt 50% of those are ones where actually I'm wrong (since I'm 70 yards away whilst he is 5), but it's very, very rare to come away feeling cheated by the officials or that the ref as been ridiculously fussy or has lost all discipline.

People often mistakenly think the country has gone to the dogs, that there's more crime now, that this is worse, and that is worse. Generally the reality is that things are a lot better than we think. I humbly submit that refs and liners are a hell of a lot better than is generally perceived and we are, in fact, living through a golden age of brilliant officiating.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 14:39   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yer must be on drugs LordD?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 21-12-2017, 16:58   #81
God Member

Think you must be watching different games than I am at Stanley Lord D . . . . . .
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 18:20   #82
God Member

Lord Didders, you present a convincing case for the defence. Much of what you say about refs is well-argued. I cannot deny what you say, so I'll just sit down and reflect on your wise words and have a cup of tea. Now where's that kettle....! Did I say KETTLE?....Kettle!!!!
B***er tea! where are the blood pressure pills?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 19:56   #83

The voice of reason from Lord D on the referee debate.
Refs are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
Funny how one set of fans see a red card foul, while opponents see a dive.
Our friend from Lincoln accused Stanley of being a team of divers, conveniently ignoring their foul tally was double ours.
We often feel aggrieved, sometimes justifiably, that officials decisions have cost us the match.
In general, most officials try to do a difficult job in an honest & fair way.
Naturally it's the exception that always proves the rule - for exception read 'Kettle'.
It's ironic that the team topping our league - Luton, also top the (un)fair-play league, with 62 points from 50 yellows & 4 red cards.
The team with fewest cards are Barnet, with only 29 points (20Y + 3R).
So the dirtiest team in league 2 are top of the league, whilst the cleanest are propping up the bottom.
Wonder if the Luton fans are complaining about officials?????
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 20:24   #84
God Member

lord S you must be related to keith hackett or someone of the same ilk. we regularly discuss incidents that happen in games at real time at our monthly referees meetings. we all agree that they are physically fitter than the guys from years ago but they do not do those who are lower down the food chain any favours whatsoever apart from saying to players that 3 of em cannot get it right on a saturday so what do you expect me on my own to do.
Old 21-12-2017, 20:52   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
lord S you must be related to keith hackett or someone of the same ilk. we regularly discuss incidents that happen in games at real time at our monthly referees meetings. we all agree that they are physically fitter than the guys from years ago but they do not do those who are lower down the food chain any favours whatsoever apart from saying to players that 3 of em cannot get it right on a saturday so what do you expect me on my own to do.
'MH', to the best of my knowledge, I am not related to Mr Hackett or anyone else of his ilk?
Don't quite understand the reasoning behind your 'lower down the food chain' argument?
Are you saying that all lower league officials are incompetent?
All I'm trying to say is that, whether just or unjust, a fans view of any decision given by a ref is always coloured by their own narrow loyalties.
If they foul us, they're a team of dirty thugs.
If we foul them, they cheating b*****d dived!
DaveinGermany likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 11:17   #86
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip
Don't quite understand the reasoning behind your 'lower down the food chain' argument?
Are you saying that [B]all[/B] lower league officials are incompetent?
just trying to say that those of us involved in grass roots football are constantly being abused for giving correct decisions that are in the laws of the game that are totally ignored by those at premier league and football league level. not all officials are incompetant in the football league but quite a few carry a bit of history with em. have a read of the laws of the game online or in paper form. a better knowledge of em might help when having a go at officials at the wham or anywhere else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..