Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2018, 07:18   #61

Re: Luton Match

McConville, Brown and Sykes all showing as being one match away from suspension. After 19 league games the cut off goes up to 10 yellow cards.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2018, 09:24   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Agree 100% Clark aint a dirty player at all, nor does he appear gobby,
thats come as a really big shock to me. there are players who you would not be surprised if they did get 5 cautions already but clarke is one who for me is more sinned against than sinning.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 12:20   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
We all thought it was four ..... came as a shock to be honest.
The “booking” at Oxford was never in the refs report ....... hey ho.
The booking WAS in the ref's report; otherwise it wouldn't have got onto the FA system!!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 19:48   #64
Senior Member+

Not what I heard ... bit of retrospective admin work.
Not that it’s important.
Sit out Saturday and come back all guns firing.
Another brace at Coventry will do nicely.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 21:31   #65

Re Luton fans racist chanting.

No Cashy, I was not there. But I have been on Twitter and seen the considerable bad feeling she has caused by mouthing off in public. If she thinks that Twitter is the place to put Luton fans on trial then I’m afraid she has lost. No corroborating witnesses, but plenty of credible witnesses to the contrary.

Anyway, Luton made a statement earlier today. https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/201...tement-261018/
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 22:25   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Oh dear, beaten by the better team on the night.
Don’t think we played badly but they were very effective on the break and defended well and were generally solid. They also played the game in great spirit. Alas, we did not always.
Thought Barlaser and McConville were equal MOTM.
How on earth could you pick all that up if you weren't even there??
As for your comments on the person who reported the abuse, just because more people said it didn't happen than said that it did doesn't make them right - of course the Luton supporters are going to deny any knowledge of it!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 23:06   #67

I am a lifelong Luton supporter and was at the game. You were embarrassing during the game (particularly McConville), you were embarrassing at half-time trying to provoke a sending off, your manager's post match interview should embarrass any of the fifty or so Accy fans who actually watched the game, and then out of spite Luton fans are falsely accused of racist chanting. I used to have a soft spot for Accrington Stanley and have found the stewards and fans very friendly up there but you are now a huge embarrassment to football and totally lacking in class
Forever Luton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:14   #68
Senior Member+

I was thinking that myself.
Unless I'm at a game I'm not going to put my opinion forward I'll rely on those who were there.
So basically he's used social media to create his own opinion on the game in general. Weird.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:16   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
How on earth could you pick all that up if you weren't even there??
As for your comments on the person who reported the abuse, just because more people said it didn't happen than said that it did doesn't make them right - of course the Luton supporters are going to deny any knowledge of it!
Right or wrong its obvious to anyone with a grain of sense that more will say its false given 65 stanley fans went against a good few thousand from Luton
Old 27-10-2018, 10:49   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
I was thinking that myself.
Unless I'm at a game I'm not going to put my opinion forward I'll rely on those who were there.
So basically he's used social media to create his own opinion on the game in general. Weird.
in the world of facebook and twitter he will not be the only one plus those who just watch the highlights. if you do not go to the match do not bother.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 15:06   #71

I'm sure there will be plenty of people with opinions on politicians and england football managers without ever being in Parliament or getting an England cap.

The fact is that i have witnessed with my own eyes the playing out of this misjudged tweet over the past few days and feel eminently qualified to comment on the fall out from it. It's not been a pretty sight.

I assume one of two things happened. Either monkey chants happened or the journalist concerned thought she heard monkey chants. There is a third possibility but actually very few people think she made it up willfully. That's not the point. The point is about what happened next.....

Once an allegation is made like this in public, with what looks like pretty stark and inciteful language, the damage to the reputation of Luton begins, and the anger rises. It doesn't take the benefit of hindsight to spot it coming....Sure enough, a Sun Journalist has waded in and twisted things around. A well known BBC journalist has retweeted and then made matters worse by robustly defending the initial tweet in a rather condescending manner.

When clearly shocked Luton fans have sought further information about what is alleged to have happened,they have been met with a wall of silence.

Over the past few days this has escalated as not one person has come forward to substantiate it. (Imagine if that happened in Accrington. Not one Stanley fan would come forward to decry racist chanting? Bloody hell, there was moaning on here for a rude word in a song a couple of years back). The demands for the complainant to give more information have fallen on deaf ears. Instead a mass blocking of Luton fans appears to have taken place.

In my opinion, in the absence of not tweeting it at all and simply letting police and stewards investigate, the next best course of action would be some olive branch to Luton fans? ....She's a journalist after all.

Andy Holt has tweeted about it this morning. It's a superb example of an olive branch.

Fair enough, there will be others who think all possible racist incidents should be tackled head on, and publicly, and without concern for the feelings and reputations of other parties. However, in this case I am completely behind the luton fans because of the manner in which this happened.... even if subsequently there is found to be substance in the allegations.

Last edited by Lord Didsbury; 29-10-2018 at 15:10. Reason: last para
Old 29-10-2018, 16:14   #72
God Member

Well put, Lord Didders, but the entire episode is something about which I knew nothing and would prefer to keep it that way, which is why I stay well away from Twitter. It seems to me that, eventually, the Twitterati will make twits of us all, if we let them.
There has, of course, always been the equivalent of Twitter even before the age of instant messaging, but we all had the sense then to refer to it by its proper name, hearsay.
KiTChener and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 16:23   #73
God Member

Quote:
I'm sure there will be plenty of people with opinions on politicians and england football managers without ever being in Parliament or getting an England cap.

The fact is that i have witnessed with my own eyes the playing out of this misjudged tweet over the past few days and feel eminently qualified to comment on the fall out from it. It's not been a pretty sight.

I assume one of two things happened. Either monkey chants happened or the journalist concerned thought she heard monkey chants. There is a third possibility but actually very few people think she made it up willfully. That's not the point. The point is about what happened next.....

Once an allegation is made like this in public, with what looks like pretty stark and inciteful language, the damage to the reputation of Luton begins, and the anger rises. It doesn't take the benefit of hindsight to spot it coming....Sure enough, a Sun Journalist has waded in and twisted things around. A well known BBC journalist has retweeted and then made matters worse by robustly defending the initial tweet in a rather condescending manner.

When clearly shocked Luton fans have sought further information about what is alleged to have happened,they have been met with a wall of silence.

Over the past few days this has escalated as not one person has come forward to substantiate it. (Imagine if that happened in Accrington. Not one Stanley fan would come forward to decry racist chanting? Bloody hell, there was moaning on here for a rude word in a song a couple of years back). The demands for the complainant to give more information have fallen on deaf ears. Instead a mass blocking of Luton fans appears to have taken place.

In my opinion, in the absence of not tweeting it at all and simply letting police and stewards investigate, the next best course of action would be some olive branch to Luton fans? ....She's a journalist after all.

Andy Holt has tweeted about it this morning. It's a superb example of an olive branch.

Fair enough, there will be others who think all possible racist incidents should be tackled head on, and publicly, and without concern for the feelings and reputations of other parties. However, in this case I am completely behind the luton fans because of the manner in which this happened.... even if subsequently there is found to be substance in the allegations.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion on whatever happened/didn't happen with regards to the abuse allegations but you've got the wrong end of the stick with regard to your original post - what some of us questioned was how you managed to have such an informed opinion about a game you hadn't seen.
I suspect all your bluff & bluster about the other matter is just a smokescreen because you don't have an answer to the actual questions
KiTChener, cashman and Revived Red like this.
Old 01-11-2018, 13:34   #74

Accymad - I have little idea what you are talking about, unless watching football matches on the telly somehow renders your opinion of what you saw worthless?
Old 01-11-2018, 17:06   #75
God Member

Quote:
Accymad - I have little idea what you are talking about, unless watching football matches on the telly somehow renders your opinion of what you saw worthless?
Was it even on the telly? Except for the highlights, I missed it if it was

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..