Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2014, 12:39   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Luton Town Match Thread.......

Well my rather late two pence worth............

Thought over the 90 minutes a draw was probably a fair result, and nice to see us finally get off the mark. After how bad we where at Cheltenham last week (and apparently Shrewsbury on Tuesday) it was nice to see a small improvement. We could have nicked it at the end but that would have been massively unfair on Luton who I must admit I thought would have been better. Hopefully it gives the lads a little confidence going into Bury on Saturday, which make no mistake is going to be a MASSIVE test.

As for the team I thought young Lynch in goal had a superb game. Considering along with Simpson they had never played a first team game till this season they both have been superb whenever I have seen them both play. So well done to JB for un-earthing a couple of gems in the goalkeeping department. I do however feel quite sorry for Lynch as no doubt he will probably be released as the new lad from QPR has come in on loan. But at our level I guess we cant afford to pay for a number 3 keeper.

Winnard was rightly benched.... IMO he has looked miles off the pace so far this season. Great to see Atkinson get another chance. He was very unlucky to be on the bench most of last year. Hopefully he takes the chance with both hands as there is no doubt at this level he is a big asset and alongside Aldred that could be this years partnership.

I also thought Bowerman did pretty well, considering his lack of game time. He looked knackered after an hour or so and was rightly replaced but he brings out the best in Gray who simply cannot play on his own up top. Alabi has shown he isnt quite up to it at the moment so for me, we need to give Bowerman a run in the side to show us the quality he has.

Mingoia again ran his socks off and no doubt at the moment has cemented his place in the side for me.

Joyce and Hunt............ again for me, not the answer. Fair play to Luke on scoring a very brave goal but was he even fit??? For me no chance. Young Windass is getting himself into some good positions and on another day with his shooting boots on he could of had a couple of goals. If only we could get Linganzi back anyone............?? He is EXACTLY the type of player we need in the middle of the park.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2014, 15:37   #32
God Member

I occasionally look out for Mr.Linganzi's 'progress' at Gillingham. He was out injured for quite a while when he first joined them, but I then read some optimistic comments from their manager.
But latest news suggests he is still struggling to make an impression at Gillingham.

Gillingham manager Peter Taylor has urged Amine Linganzi to keep his play simple

Collection buckets, anyone?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 15:55   #33
God Member

it seems to me that we're a Linganzi and a Procter short of a team
smudgie likes this.
Old 26-08-2014, 15:58   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
it seems to me that we're a Linganzi and a Procter short of a team
...and....! ?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 19:44   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Well my rather late two pence worth............

Thought over the 90 minutes a draw was probably a fair result, and nice to see us finally get off the mark. After how bad we where at Cheltenham last week (and apparently Shrewsbury on Tuesday) it was nice to see a small improvement. We could have nicked it at the end but that would have been massively unfair on Luton who I must admit I thought would have been better. Hopefully it gives the lads a little confidence going into Bury on Saturday, which make no mistake is going to be a MASSIVE test.

As for the team I thought young Lynch in goal had a superb game. Considering along with Simpson they had never played a first team game till this season they both have been superb whenever I have seen them both play. So well done to JB for un-earthing a couple of gems in the goalkeeping department. I do however feel quite sorry for Lynch as no doubt he will probably be released as the new lad from QPR has come in on loan. But at our level I guess we cant afford to pay for a number 3 keeper.

Winnard was rightly benched.... IMO he has looked miles off the pace so far this season. Great to see Atkinson get another chance. He was very unlucky to be on the bench most of last year. Hopefully he takes the chance with both hands as there is no doubt at this level he is a big asset and alongside Aldred that could be this years partnership.

I also thought Bowerman did pretty well, considering his lack of game time. He looked knackered after an hour or so and was rightly replaced but he brings out the best in Gray who simply cannot play on his own up top. Alabi has shown he isnt quite up to it at the moment so for me, we need to give Bowerman a run in the side to show us the quality he has.

Mingoia again ran his socks off and no doubt at the moment has cemented his place in the side for me.

Joyce and Hunt............ again for me, not the answer. Fair play to Luke on scoring a very brave goal but was he even fit??? For me no chance. Young Windass is getting himself into some good positions and on another day with his shooting boots on he could of had a couple of goals. If only we could get Linganzi back anyone............?? He is EXACTLY the type of player we need in the middle of the park.
Some interesting comments (most of which
I don't agree with!)
Agree about the keeper I thought he did well and hunty is not a central midfielder.
Bowerman doesn't do it for me at this level,outside the box I can't see what he offers to the team.
Windass still plays like a development squad player,which is surprising as he played at Harrogate railway last year.he just needs to learn awareness when he doesn't have the ball.(saying that I thought he played well against Shrewsbury with ten men and got dropped!)
The centre back debate is food for thought as there all good players.
Interesting about dean being of the pace tho,of all the goals conceded this season,which ones would you pin on him?(genuine question)and how many forwards have rinsed him.
Thought dean and Tom played well against Southend,losing to a late penalty and our keeper not having a save to make.
On Saturday we conceded two and could have been four or five,didn't their lad beat rob in the air to score but it got disallowed?.
I genuinely want them all to do well,but for me we have changed the team and formation to often to get a settled side,plus we haven't replaced key players from last season.
On a side issue,how many clean sheets and wins have we had with Tom and Rob playing CBs ?,I don't know but guess not many.
If I was a betting man,I would back them both to score now on Saturday !!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 21:57   #36
Senior Member+

Read all the previous comments all of which make good observations.
This was the first time I have seen the new squad perform. I fully agree with the general consensus that Lynch had a good game. He made some good Dunbavin style saves and he was quick off his line when needed. As Redraine says he looks like he has an accurate kick with good distance too. I too thought that Atkinson was our MOM just tipped by his near miss when he headed against the post late on. Rob is a very steady centre back and I think he is worth a run in the team at the moment. He has been very patient having been on the bench, and rarely used, all last season. Tom Aldred for me has lots of pace and yes, perhaps he is just struggling to find that super form that he had most of last season. With Tom and Rob it seems clear that Tom should be the man going for most of the headed clearances with Rob slotting in behind him clearing up those balls that do get through.
We are still lacking in the midfield area as we did most of last season but also up front. In midfield as others have said we need a truly combative player in the mould of a 'Procky' or Linganzi. Up front Gray needs an old fashioned centre forward to play off. (Someone like the Paul Mullin of old). Gray also needs to stay on his feet. It is already getting on my nerves how easily he goes to ground in search of free kicks!
Luton were a better team all round than us but having got a two goal lead early on we really should have been able to hold out for a victory...As said we did seem to be playing for a draw for a while when we only had Gray up front on his own. It made a difference late on when we went back to two up front and we could have won it with a bit of luck..(Rob's header)....
I am absolutely certain that JB is looking hard for the players to fill thes gaps but we need to remember how difficult it is for him to attract players to our club... re salaries, training facilites etc.
Lets all stay positive and get right behind JB and the team and continue our fight against all the odds and then we can confound the critics once more...
We also need the Ultras to get more vocal... Come on you ULTRAS !!!
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 22:30   #37

Lots of good posts re Saturday's game, so my two penneth.

Overall, not good enough from my perspective as being 2-0 up, should have had enough about us to manage the game through to keep the 3 points. We didn't respond to their substitution after about 25 mins. Hunt is lost in midfield and for my money doesn't give enough to the team for someone of his experience.

Didn't get our formation change approach. We went 1 up front for a while in the 2nd half after a substitution appearing to want to see the game out and take a point, only to revert to 2 up font for latter stages.

Should be sat with 4 points now (last min pen miss last week and 3 pts from Luton game) with a bit more know how. We need to wise up quick, as I feel every point this season will be hard fought and important in the final knockings and we've not started out helping ourselves.

Need to get a win on board quickly.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..