Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2015, 21:04   #1
Resting in Peace

Mansfield tonight

Wow, what a feisty affair that was. Ref lost control early on and went rapidly downhill. Fantastic defensive performance from front to back and a much improved display from McConville I have to say, capped by a superb strike. At last we got what we deserved!
Chrisr likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2015, 21:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Mansfield tonight

Redraine, I fully agree with your summary. I lost count of the number of yellow cards shown and was sure someone would end up being sent off. Will look at the stats on the BBC, but that ref was absolutely useless. It was like watching WWF from both teams to be fair, but Mansfield more so, and the number of fouls that went unpunished is beyond me. I sometimes wonder what the officials were watching, because it certainly wasn't that match. Stanley should have had 2 stonewall penalties in the 2nd half from the same move, both were waved away. If that is the standard of reffing in League 2 this season, it could be long and hard.
Chrisr likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 21:18   #3
Senior Member+

According to the stats, Mansfield had 7 players booked and we had 3, but they had 51% possession against our 49%. we had 12 shots of which 5 were on target, they had 6 of which only 2 were on target.We had 6 corners to their 2 and committed 14 fouls to their 16. All we need now is someone to stick more than 1 in the onion bag. But at least it is our first win of the season and we are now 12th in the table

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 21:18   #4

I had to check who was managing Mansfield tonight. There tactics where straight out of the Graham Wesley handbook. Made it even more pleasing grinding out the win.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 21:24   #5

Lambs deliberately left his foot in and caught Pearson in the face, needless to say the ref missed it.
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 21:28   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to agree the game was ruined by inept reffing, the guy never got a grip and like always a near brawl broke out near the end, how no player is seriously injured is a mystery to me. was hard fought 3 pts we were nowhere near our best but deserved the win in my view, have to disagree though about uncle jims lad, thought he was terrible tonight, yet scored a decent goal and won us the game, work that un out, onwards and upwards.
yonmon and keep the faith like this.
Old 18-08-2015, 21:36   #7

Players wise, Davies continues to impress every game, crooks confidence grew and he was good second half. Mcconville showed how he has the ability to make things happen with his goal. Buxton deserves the credit the man of match award gave him. I got 8 to 1 on us finishing top 7 earlier this week at corals. I think they underestimate the Stanley's chances on the playoffs.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 22:00   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Agree wi chevys summary of the players, Billy Kee also gave 100% and never stopped grafting, the lad certainly deserves a goal fer me.
Old 18-08-2015, 22:03   #9
Senior Member+

Good three points and a clean sheet.
For the first twenty minutes they did to us what we normally do to the opposition,they closed us down,give us no time and really got in our faces.
They had come off the back of some decent performances and you could see the confidence.
Slowly we grew into the game and we were solid defensively and I am glad Coley read my posts about finding a place for Bucko .
We are going to be a tough team to beat and with our options everyone needs to perform.
McConville wasn't at the races for the first twenty minutes,but I did warn Yonmon he's got a goal in him !!
A lot of solid performances,Piero was excellent and showed great energy,Bucko raised his game and Matty Pearson is a lad you would want along side you in a battle.
Billy also showed some good touches and Crookes was good.
The unsung hero for me was Coonnely who played "Joyce's " roll and he plugs holes when others bomb on.
This sometimes goes un-noticed and he looks a real player
AccyMad, baldy and yonmon like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 22:10   #10
Senior Member+

Not the best football were capable of but first 3 points are welcomed!

The most worrying thing is the attendance tonight!! Less than 900 Stanley fans tonight, what are the club doing to get new fans?

Can't we give 2/3000 free tickets out to school kids with a paying adult? Granted not all tickets will be used but what have the club got to lose? As it would be new fans so no revenue lost. Not to mention the better atmosphere it will create!

This could lead to kids wanting to come back and dragging their parent and also a Stanley shirt for Christmas etc and soon as 1 kid has a Stanley shirt, his mate will want to come and get a shirt!
Old 18-08-2015, 22:14   #11
Senior Member+

I have to agree with earlier comments about the referee Adam England!
His performance tonight was one of the most inept refereeing displays that I have ever witnessed!
I think that he made NO bookings in the first half when there should have been at least two Mandsfield players carded. Their lads constantly wrapped their arms round our forwards at set pieces, pushed and nudged our players in the back and manipulated the referee and his assistants by moving the ball up the touchline at throw ins and also at free kicks! Had the ref booked a couple earlier in the game then he would have had a much better chance of maintaing control. He then booked TEN in the second half and lost the game completely!
For all their possesion Mansfield did not create too much of a problem for our defence. Mooney looked strong, for me Buxton deserved his 'MOM' award. Pearson, Davies and Deano hardly put a foot wrong. Crooks in midfield was strong and creative. Sean Mac didn't have a great game for me but he did what we know he can do by scoring the important goal. It was the first thing that he had done right up to that point! Seamus played his part effectively and efficiently, keeping a cool head when under pressure. Seamus is the one player for me this season who has the ability to put his foot on the ball, look around and then simply play the right pass! Pierro was a constant threat and Billy eventually got the better of their centre half, who I think had four arms!!!! Josh did well too but seemed to be almost trying too hard!
A very hard earned three points tonight and we showed the strength of character not only to overcome a rugged Mansfield side but also to cope with the terrible refeering by Mr England!
SACK THE REFEREE!
ON STANLEY ON
AccyMad, cashman and monkey hanger like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 18-08-2015 at 22:17.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 22:16   #12
Full Member+

Uninspiring game but a rare August win is very welcome.

Nothing for either side after 30 mins, then Mansfield had the first shot (deflected) on target after over passing what could have been their best chance of the game. Stanley then score with "The Beast" beaten too easily at his near post from distance. Those 30 seconds were crucial.

I was frustrated at the ball in the corner stuff when there could have been four minutes left (ref blew one min early considering the stoppage just after the 6 went up by my watch) and I feared another Luton after the aimless half way line passing in the 88th minute that game. A win's a win though.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 22:20   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
The unsung hero for me was Coonnely who played "Joyce's " roll and he plugs holes when others bomb on.
This sometimes goes un-noticed and he looks a real player
For me Seamus is a much more complete player than Luke Joyce! I think our team can be built around this lad. He is first class!
cashman likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 22:46   #14
Senior Member+

Stanley where poor first half and by far the better team second half.
I was impressed with how Crooks grew into the game.
Was the attendance low because it's holiday season?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 07:56   #15
God Member

Can only hope the holiday season was the main reason, Davo, otherwise it's worrying.
Didn't see the game but glad to get 3 points.
Think the criticism of the ref is unfair...he obviously left his pencil behind in the dressing room for the first half.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..