Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2017, 20:49   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Mariners Match Tread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
After their 5-1 thrashing last week at the hands of Mansfield, this has all the ingredients of another Yeovil.
Don't think it will be the walkover some are predicting but still hope we will prevail.
In hindsight, I wish you hadn't said that Lord S

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-09-2017, 21:10   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not the same display as Sat, without doubt!! Grimsby played pretty well but we did not, though we coulda and shoulda got a draw, Sorry Wilkes for me is much too lightweight, too easily pushed off the ball. reminds me of Kurtis when he was here, looks the part but aint, hope Billy is ok? What happened with Edwards? rated him a better prospect.

Last edited by cashman; 12-09-2017 at 21:13.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 21:25   #18
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not the same display as Sat, without doubt!! Grimsby played pretty well but we did not, though we coulda and shoulda got a draw, Sorry Wilkes for me is much too lightweight, too easily pushed off the ball. reminds me of Kurtis when he was here, looks the part but aint, hope Billy is ok? What happened with Edwards? rated him a better prospect.
You must be joking Kurtis was utter car rap when he was here, Wilkes is a far better player.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 21:36   #19
Full Member+

This was a game we should have won but didn't for reasons beyond comprehension. games like this bite us hard at the end of season. we had enough quality out there to win easily but we looked very poor in the second half. The goal was a poor one to concede and Chapman has to hold his hand up for the second goal. then he can pull off some top drawer saves. The reason Edwards was not on the bench or playing is to do with the 5 loan player rule. We can't afford to lose games like this. Billy took a knock last Saturday and tonight. I suspect he will be rested for Saturdays game away at Chesterfield. We have to pick ourselves up and go again as the team did not seem to be united somehow.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 21:53   #20

Everygame is a battle in league 2, tonight I felt Grimsby just battled that little bit harder than us. Both goals seemed too easy for the opposition to score. In the second half there was a number of times we lacked players showing for the the ball. Agree with cashman. We missed Billy's hold up play as soon as he went off. Wilkes may get there in a few weeks/month's but currently his finishing when through on goal seems rushed(tonight and on Saturday) and hold up play non existent. The reality check will do us no harm. I still think we are top 7 material! KTF

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 22:55   #21
God Member

Wilkes is raw and inexperienced and it shows. He has the raw materials but needs to get up to speed quickly (no pun intended). At times he is rushed and other times he wants a second or two too long. Once he finds that balance he'll be reet. The only thing in common with Guthrie is a crap barber
AccyMad likes this.
Old 13-09-2017, 06:45   #22

Credit to Grimsby, they were very good in the first half and solid enough in defence in the second. (They fouled us an awful lot mind.)

As can be said with many games, had we taken one of those second half chances things could have been so different.

I initially thought Chappers at fault for the first goal. Not so sure when I see it on telly. Maybe just a bit slow off his line.

I like Wilks' enthusiasm. He sprinted back 80 yards to make a defensive tackle. He looks fast too. I'd give him a few games to see if things click into place. (Not at the expense of a fit Kee or Jackson though).

Thought Rawson looks far better than when I saw him v Morecambe. Moran too quiet for the first 70 mins.

Apart from that everyone had ok games, just didn't click. Ref was decent, pitch magnificent, crowd pitiful.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 07:47   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Right what part of this can some NOT grasp? where have i said he is as bad as Kurtis? i simply said reminds me of him. Seems english is very difficult to grasp.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:12   #24

I think it's the ambiguous implication in how you presented your comparison Cashy. Maybe it can be read in more than one way? A common forum pitfall sadly.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:29   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I think it's the ambiguous implication in how you presented your comparison Cashy. Maybe it can be read in more than one way? A common forum pitfall sadly.
Possibly, though it does crack me up seeing how some do so.
Lord Didsbury likes this.
Old 13-09-2017, 09:04   #26
Senior Member+

Are we not missing one of Football's truisms here ?.. the one that goes :- There will be occasions when a successful team will be matched with one expected to be less proficient and efficient in stature, and in spite of every effort made by the first team, they will inevitably lose the match !.
It seems to me that firstly, Grimsby Town's scouts did a good job for their Manager by correctly spotting areas of weakness in the Red's set up which could be successfully exploited.
Secondly, the Mariner's Goalkeeper with some of the longest and highest clearances and goalkicks seen at The Wham, exploited one of these weaknesses to the full. He more often than not cleared midfield and the head of one of our tallest players, Liam Nolan and that of our ineffective Captain. This in turn piled the pressure on our back line, who found the tactic
so difficult to deal with !.
So credit to Grimsby for this effective, if totally unattractive attacking method, and their industry in closing down the Reds as well as any team we have played so far !.

So, hoping that Chesterfield's spies will not have noticed these sneaky Grimsby moves,
the Red's can go there maintaining their air of confidence, and secure the points !.

Last night ?... a tiny blot on the landscape !.

KTF... ON STANLEY...ON TO EVEN GREATER THINGS !.
AccyMad likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:11   #27
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1201321]Credit to Grimsby, they were very good in the first half and solid enough in defence in the second. (They fouled us an awful lot mind.)

As can be said with many games, had we taken one of those second half chances things could have been so different.

that sums it up for me. 3 excellent chances second half and 2 before they got their 2nd gift. a word of praise for their fans behind the goal who never stopped singing throught the game getting wet through and probebly turned up more in hope than expectations.
cashman, chevyfire, Chrisr and 1 others like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:54   #28
God Member

Quote:
Credit to Grimsby, they were very good in the first half and solid enough in defence in the second. (They fouled us an awful lot mind.)

I initially thought Chappers at fault for the first goal. Not so sure when I see it on telly. Maybe just a bit slow off his line.

I like Wilks' enthusiasm. He sprinted back 80 yards to make a defensive tackle. He looks fast too. I'd give him a few games to see if things click into place. (Not at the expense of a fit Kee or Jackson though).

Thought Rawson looks far better than when I saw him v Morecambe. Moran too quiet for the first 70 mins.

Apart from that everyone had ok games, just didn't click. Ref was decent, pitch magnificent, crowd pitiful.
Who's Moran??
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:16   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The point i was making, neither Kurtis nor Wilkes to me are/were ready to have a run in the side, dont really matter who was better than who, its 2 completely different sides, in fairness its harder to me for Wilkes to do so, cos our side i believe is Stronger now than back when kurtis was here.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 13-09-2017, 10:19   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Who's Moran??
Puzzled me, but I suspect His Didsburyness meant Nolan.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..