Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2008, 00:57   #46
God Member

Re: Match Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the point i am trying to make is if there is an early inspection, by a ref,then no rain before the kick off, its ludicrous to have another inspection. the ref who inspected should stand or fall by that descision, if hes cocked up then thats human, people will always debate after the event.
The match referee is the one who has to take the ultimate responsibility. I am a bit puzzled from Ozzy's earlier comments about the time taken by the match referee to call the game off. The first thing a referee does when he gets to the ground is to inspect the pitch. I'd be interested to find out if he did and on what basis he didn't call the game off then.
Old 20-01-2008, 01:07   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The match referee is the one who has to take the ultimate responsibility. I am a bit puzzled from Ozzy's earlier comments about the time taken by the match referee to call the game off. The first thing a referee does when he gets to the ground is to inspect the pitch. I'd be interested to find out if he did and on what basis he didn't call the game off then.
thats what i'm on about, if it WAS an F.A. appointed ref who inspected at 10-00, then there was no rain, what possible reason is there for a later inspection, i say again ludicrous.
Old 20-01-2008, 07:55   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
thats what i'm on about, if it WAS an F.A. appointed ref who inspected at 10-00, then there was no rain, what possible reason is there for a later inspection, i say again ludicrous.
It's not that unusual. I remember it happening a few times over the years where a local referee (FA registered of course) pronounced the pitch fit to play on, but then the game was called off once the match referee arrived.
As Dave says, it is the match referee that makes the ultimate decision. The real question should be, why didn't he call it off when he first arrived at the ground and saw the pitch? One reason could be that he didn't inspect the pitch until well after he arrived.
Old 20-01-2008, 10:27   #49

Listed below are a couple of quotes from Brentford fans who travelled up for the game... Their M/B has lit up like a christmas tree, i take it they dont like what happened. I like the quote "amaturish" !!!

I think weve been found out

Dont suppose EW is jumping thru hoops we have lost good revenue and if i remember correctly we are liable for the Brentfords teams travel and accomodation for the re-arranged match

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For Accrington to convince people to make the trip by telling them that the game was definitely on reeks of a stitch up - just so they didn't lose out IF, by some slim chance, the game did go ahead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know they're here on merit but amatuerish Accrington simply shouldn't be in the league instead of the likes of Exeter and Oxford. You can't run football clubs like this and you can't treat fans like we were treated yesterday

<TABLE class=tborder id=post1150292 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1150292 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid">Once again there is NO thought for the fans, the fans that make the trips week in week out at much expense.

Fair play to the vast numbers that made the effort, only to be screwed by a non league team with a non league ground.

Accrington should be ashamed of themselves.
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid"><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_onlinestatus --> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Give us the old gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 10:42   #50
Senior Member+

I don't see how the club can take any blame for yesterday.
Old 20-01-2008, 10:47   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
It's not that unusual. I remember it happening a few times over the years where a local referee (FA registered of course) pronounced the pitch fit to play on, but then the game was called off once the match referee arrived.
As Dave says, it is the match referee that makes the ultimate decision. The real question should be, why didn't he call it off when he first arrived at the ground and saw the pitch? One reason could be that he didn't inspect the pitch until well after he arrived.
We had one last season, passed fit by a local ref then postponed by the match ref. Like you say TM it's not that uncommon.

Still can't figure out the time delay. The only thing I can think of is that the referee looked at that pitch and said the bad parts were not playable. Proffesional pride means groundsman do not like being beat by the weather and it's possible he said 'give me an hour and I'll sort it', if there is any chance he will get his hour, but it wasn't enough. I'm only guessing from past experience though

I bet the groundsman sleeps today, he must be absolutely knackered from the last few days efforts to get it played.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:39   #52

I feel sorry for everyone that made the trip yesterday, especially the Brentford fans, i usually set off at 2pm , so we double checked at about 1.45pm that the game was still on, brilliant it was, got to the Grayhound parked up had a pint and then set off to the ground, only to reach the Crown at around 2.50pm to be told it was off, straight away we just said, Just think of the Brentford fans, thats a bloody long trip to make, i know it happens but it is sickning no matter how far you`ve travelled.

Old 20-01-2008, 12:29   #53
Full Member+

I came from cleethorpes ,these things happen though ,i was gutted,feel for the brentford fans,i got talking to someone who said they had come from hampshire to see their first accrington game!although they was also doing other things in the area so they said it wasn't too bad,i bet they were cheesed off though .
Old 20-01-2008, 12:41   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I don't see how the club can take any blame for yesterday.
i agree it aint the club, to me its the F.A. if they appoint a ref to do an early inspection n there is no more rain,that should be it-end of, could save a lot of grief from travelling fans. its not rocket science. they are the "powers that be" surely thats not beyond em, or do the fans not count?
Old 20-01-2008, 12:48   #55
God Member

Quote:
i agree it aint the club, to me its the F.A. if they appoint a ref to do an early inspection n there is no more rain,that should be it-end of, could save a lot of grief from travelling fans. its not rocket science. they are the "powers that be" surely thats not beyond em, or do the fans not count?
Cashy it's actually the Football League not the FA in this instance. The difference being the FL is the worst of 2 evils
Old 20-01-2008, 12:54   #56
God Member

Quote:

Im not 100% sure on this, however I think you will find that the F.A./F.L. did not appoint a Ref do the 10am inspection, rather it was Stanley themselves. To the best of my knowledge the final decision rests with the Appointed Official.

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 13:00   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Is it not quicker over Blubberhouses down the A59 from Harrogate?
i do the route from here to Harrogate down the A59 on a regular basis with my parents living in Harrogate and you are looking at an hour from there to Stanley (depending on how you drive )

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 13:07   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
From what was said on Radio Lancs by JC - The club phoned the FA who appointed a referee to inspect the pitch at 10 am and passed it fit. This joker turns up at 1200 and waits 1 hour and 45 mins before calling the game off. Please do not blame the club for this cock up - it is purely the match referees fault. An FA appointed ref said it was OK this morning - and as others have pointed out, there was no rain up until the second inspection yet he was worried about a patch from the centre circle to the edge of the box at the Accy end. Brentford FC BTW wanted to play the game but to no avail. Hope this clears up one or two complaints
this is what i was basing my comments on, U.K. n Dave. but if its a toss up between the F.A. n F.L. they are both football authorities n should work together for the good of the game.
Old 20-01-2008, 13:09   #59
God Member

Quote:
but if its a toss up between the F.A. n F.L. they are both football authorities n should work together for the good of the game.
I think there's more chance of a Stanley v Burnley Champions League final
Old 20-01-2008, 13:38   #60
God Member

in instances like this the Match Official should be forced to travel earlier if there is a doubt over the condition of the pitch. There is no point having a first inspection by another referee if he can be overruled.

Unless there is increasing bad weather a game should be called no later than 10am. To a degree fans could put up with part travelling and then turning around, but for a small club like Stanley to have to pay for Brentfords unncessary travelling costs is absurd.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..