Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2015, 17:07   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Matt Crooks Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
. I do hope that I am proved wrong and that he turns out to be an asset.
Me too. For years I thought Peter Murphy was rubbish at full back, but moving to midfield was the making of him.
DAV007 likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2015, 18:23   #32

He is only a young lad and too young in my opinion to be regarded as versatile before being allowed to really settle into one position. One for the future if handled right and 'fans' give due patience to the lad while he is doing his 'legend' apprenticeship. Being exiled down south I've only seen him at Portsmouth and ignoring the 'fish out of water' role he was given, thought he had some nice touches. Come on Stanleyites, Matt's chosen Stanley for his immediate future - let's give him the benefit of encouragement.
MikeA and football19 like this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 22:04   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Me too. For years I thought Peter Murphy was rubbish at full back, but moving to midfield was the making of him.
I remember posting numerous times on here saying he would make a good midfielder ( his dad still mentions it ! ).
He just lacked a yard of pace to play fullback but was technically excellent and is now fulfilling his potential.
I won't embarrass the regular poster who told me "a hundred times" he's not a midfielder and will never be !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 00:08   #34
Full Member+

He had a decent shooting opportunity last night after beating the Burton defenders but he seemed to hold the play up while reinforcements arrived. A shame the loudmouth/wannabe manager in the main stand near the Clayton End had to orchestrate the ridicule after his cockup!
AccyMad likes this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 08:25   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
He had a decent shooting opportunity last night after beating the Burton defenders but he seemed to hold the play up while reinforcements arrived. A shame the loudmouth/wannabe manager in the main stand near the Clayton End had to orchestrate the ridicule after his cockup!
The Burton players covered well and the angle narrowed for Crooks. He made the right decision at that time in the game to retain possession; we actually made another chance just after that because he did so. Those who lambasted the lad should go and watch under 9's play kick-and-rush on a Saturday morning - it's the only way they'll be happy.
football19 and choirboy like this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 08:42   #36
Senior Member+

He's ours now, so whether or not people approve individual decisions to start him or sub him on, once he crosses the white line in a Stanley shirt he needs to be supported and encouraged if you want the best result for the team. Simple, as our birthday boy would doubtless agree
Div3North and choirboy like this.
Old 25-02-2015, 08:44   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgaz182 View Post
Does it have a 'Fish Pond?'
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 09:00   #38
Senior Member+

We need to give young Matt a chance!
He is only young and Coley and Jimmy have proved time and time again how they can revitalise the careers of players cast aside as youngsters by other clubs. After all most of our team is made up of this category of player....eg, Deano, Luke, Pierro, Cal, Terry G, etc. So many of the players who have moved on from us, some of whom allowed us to make a bit of cash on transfers, are also in this category. eg, Jimmy Ryan, Gary Roberts, Tom Aldred, Phil Edwards etc.
So let John and Jimmy train him to play the 'Stanley Way', and fully assess him for the rest of this season and then they can mould him into the squad in his strongest role........Remember Michael Symes who came to us ...'cast off' mainly due to being injury prone and totally lacking match fitness and confidence. He played in the last six matches for us at the end of his first season and was quite poor and slow and sluggish. Jimmy and John personlised his training during the summer, got him fit, sorted out his proness to injury and he was magnificent for us the following season and scored loads of goals. I still recall his wonder goal at Rochdale!!! ...YEESSSS
So give John and Jimmy and MATT a chance please.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 12:14   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
We need to give young Matt a chance!
He is only young and Coley and Jimmy have proved time and time again how they can revitalise the careers of players cast aside as youngsters by other clubs. After all most of our team is made up of this category of player....eg, Deano, Luke, Pierro, Cal, Terry G, etc. So many of the players who have moved on from us, some of whom allowed us to make a bit of cash on transfers, are also in this category. eg, Jimmy Ryan, Gary Roberts, Tom Aldred, Phil Edwards etc.
So let John and Jimmy train him to play the 'Stanley Way', and fully assess him for the rest of this season and then they can mould him into the squad in his strongest role........Remember Michael Symes who came to us ...'cast off' mainly due to being injury prone and totally lacking match fitness and confidence. He played in the last six matches for us at the end of his first season and was quite poor and slow and sluggish. Jimmy and John personlised his training during the summer, got him fit, sorted out his proness to injury and he was magnificent for us the following season and scored loads of goals. I still recall his wonder goal at Rochdale!!! ...YEESSSS
So give John and Jimmy and MATT a chance please.
ON STANLEY ON
Another good post.
After last nights game i went in the supporters bar and drifted over to the main pitch window to watch the subs warm down.
There was Crookes on his own hammering box to box doggies giving his all,not gloating or celebrating the win.
That tells me a lot about a lad and really do hope he gets fit and believe he will be an asset to the squad and looks like his desire/attitude is spot on.
Old 25-02-2015, 12:42   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
The Burton players covered well and the angle narrowed for Crooks.
That was my view, unlucky for the lad, would have killed the critics had he finished it off
Old 25-02-2015, 13:10   #41

Smile Re: Matt Crooks Signs

Had a good view of the break-away....I would have preferred to see him have a shot at goal, I'm guessing Josh or Piero would have done just that, however, as the defenders closed him down I understand why he decided not to shoot ..... and as someone else has said it did result in a follow up chance ...........
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 13:36   #42
Senior Member+

Nothing wrong with giving someone a chance choirboy.......

But giving some players 10 chances and others next to none is what winds me up!
keep the faith likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 13:39   #43
Senior Member+

And that's why man United have come into sign carver and gray smudgie, because Coleman hasn't given them a chance !
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 14:29   #44
Senior Member+

Speaking of Carver,is he injured or not getting a sniff at Barrow?
Looking at their squad hes got more competition than at Accy !!!
Old 25-02-2015, 15:16   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Speaking of Carver,is he injured or not getting a sniff at Barrow?
Looking at their squad hes got more competition than at Accy !!!
injured.....but was hoping to play in next game
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..