Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2017, 20:28   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Middlesbough Checkatrade EFL Trophy thread

Thanks you Liam Nolan for the injury time winner against Boro's U21 team. Maybe a tinpot trophy but that is one big step towards Wembley. Just Blackpool and Wigan to beat for the next rounds. On the road to the smoke with John and Jimmy

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2017, 20:48   #17

To be honest it was well worth a fiver tonight. McLeod, Scott brown and wilks all did there chances of getting into the starting team no harm. Second half, Stanley where the far better side and deserved winners. I don't like playing u23/21 teams but if we get a chance of Wembley it will be worth while.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:57   #18

What was the attendance?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:01   #19

Great result, another late winner. Believing you can always score late and get a result is one of the qualities of a successful team. On previous form, coley won't make changes to starting 11, but it's reassuring that we have some decent players ready when the injuries/suspensions start to happen
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:08   #20
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
What was the attendance?
Give me a chance n I'll post it lol
Old 19-09-2017, 21:08   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
What was the attendance?
600 oer the video says,
Old 19-09-2017, 21:20   #22

What a great game of football & well worth the £1 per goal it cost for admission.
The Stanley young-bloods were more than a match for a very talented Boro under 23 team.
To come back twice from behind to win the game says everything about the spirit running through our squad at the moment.
How McLeod & Sousa don't make the first eleven every week is a mystery based on tonight's performance.
McLeod in particular was so effective down the left wing, creating numerous goal scoring chances for both himself & the other forwards & Sousa's speed & pin-point crosses caused Boro real problems.
As I said earlier - Wembley here we come!
Perhaps the 'non-believers' will come crawling back if we reach the semi-finals?
After tonight, anything is possible!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:25   #23

I would like to see our first two goals again. (Scott brown and wilks strikes). Looked good shots from the Clayton end.

Old 19-09-2017, 22:31   #24
Senior Member+

It was an entertaining game and our youngsters played well against an equally talented young team from Middlesborough.
Brown took his goal superbly with a well hit low drive into the bottom corner.
It was great to see Stanley more or less playing a 4-2-4 formation with Edwards and Wilks playing up front side by side and Sousa and McLeod playing wide like old fashioned wingers. Thus we gave away the midfield in general but young Johnson had a good workout and played well both defensively and offensively.

I think we just shaded the match in the last 15 minutes when our wingers finally unlocked the resolute Boro defence.
I thought that the referee allowed a bit too much pushing and leaning from both sides which disrupted the flow of the match at times. Edwards and Wilks were fouled endlessly in the second half but were only awarded free kicks on a couple of occasions.
Edwards was very unlucky with a super overhead kick which rattled the bar after a wonderful run by McLeod, which included him running on even after being fouled before getting in a great cross for Edwards to try the spectacular shot.
Credit to the younger fans in the Clayton End tonight as they managed to maintain a good noise throughout the match which created a more competetive atmosphere for the players.
Well done "young 'uns" both On the pitch and on the terraces!
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 22:41   #25
Junior Member+

It was a most enjoyable game and the Stanley ‘reserves’ were surprisingly adept. There were no weak links. Edwards put a shift in, but luck failed him on every occasion. A strong, excellent header was saved by their keeper’s body. While McLeod was good, Souza I thought was a revelation.
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 05:28   #26
God Member

Old 20-09-2017, 09:33   #27

Whilst the forwards rightly stole the limelight last night, I thought both Dallison & Sykes were outstanding.
They won 90% of incoming high-balls & went close several times with headers from corners.
Young Ogle was also worthy of praise & Scotty (Dynamo) Brown inspirational in midfield.
cashman likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:11   #28
Junior Member+

Their blond right winger was causing numerous problems early on and it was he who fashioned their first goal. Subsequently, the full backs switched wings and he fell into relative obscurity as he was forced to come inside, rather than race to the byline and then pull the ball back to his waiting forwards.
chevyfire likes this.
The Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:03   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
Their blond right winger was causing numerous problems early on and it was he who fashioned their first goal. Subsequently, the full backs switched wings and he fell into relative obscurity as he was forced to come inside, rather than race to the byline and then pull the ball back to his waiting forwards.
Professor Coleman and 'Whisky' Bell - football genii!
Who swapped from left to right, and vice versa?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Professor Coleman and 'Whisky' Bell - football genii!
Who swapped from left to right, and vice versa?
Forbes and ogle. Ogle was the one struggling with blond attacker on our left side before swap.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..