Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2016, 16:10   #16
God Member

Re: Morecambe

Surely its just cashflow due to the change in ownership?

We'll see this every year from now on. Until a 'proper' club goes under clubs will carry on spending money to try to keep up. I've said many times that I'd be perfectly happy to drop a couple of leagues if it means living within our means. Clubs rely on an Andy Holt to come in and wave his chequebook, when its empty we look for the next one. It HAS to stop. Like Baldy says we simply must look to expansion of the fanbase before we chase League 1.

Even if doubled our fanbase we'd still be almost bottom of the attendance tables - that is the scale of our task
Old 05-11-2016, 18:23   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
This is just another reminder how we shouldn't rely on Andy Holts money and really need to build a stronger fan base to help become more self sufficient for the long term!
True, much easier said than done though.
Old 05-11-2016, 19:16   #18
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Surely its just cashflow due to the change in ownership?

We'll see this every year from now on. Until a 'proper' club goes under clubs will carry on spending money to try to keep up. I've said many times that I'd be perfectly happy to drop a couple of leagues if it means living within our means. Clubs rely on an Andy Holt to come in and wave his chequebook, when its empty we look for the next one. It HAS to stop. Like Baldy says we simply must look to expansion of the fanbase before we chase League 1.

Even if doubled our fanbase we'd still be almost bottom of the attendance tables - that is the scale of our task
Whilst I agree with the sentiment I have no confidence in the current off field manager to market the club. Accrington Stanley is a world wide brand, with a third world setup, You can't buy a ticket online, or book a table for the sports club without ringing up. Away fans should be able to go online and purchase a ticket. We are not organised anything like a professional club. The football side are doing the best they can. Andy Holt is totally committed that only leaves the general management and marketing to improve. We need someone with people skills and proper up to date skill in motivating the workforce. I don't see that happening anytime soon. The things I have mentioned are basics. We are penny wise and pound foolish in some areas. why are we struggling to keep fans? we had a few big crowds last season but never actually sold out despite what was said. we need to get to the bottom of the the problem. we can only do that by asking the fairweather supporters why they don't come on more often. I have observed some of the inconsistencies in the ticket pricing when we excluded loyalty card holders. I am afraid to say we are paying a Higher league price for a lower league club. That does not just include price. I am well aware how much Andy is putting into the club and I for one want to help him succeed by offering suggestions and constructive criticism where I feel it is helpful. We all should be offering suggestions for consideration.
Outback Ozzy likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 19:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
You can't buy a ticket online, or book a table for the sports club without ringing up. Away fans should be able to go online and purchase a ticket. We are not organised anything like a professional club.
Guess what it takes to set up these systems and implement other ideas put forward? Money. Surely there is a list of things as long as your arm to achieve the perceived utopia of professionalism and choices have to be made and Andy is the one to do this.

Meanwhile the supporters could get involved where they can, keep enjoying the football and encourage others to do the same.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 22:14   #20
Senior Member+

You sure you're not holding the issue you had about disabled ticketing change when talking about the current "off the field manager" ChrisR?

The club are setting up turnstiles that can use a "credit card" type season ticket that you can just scan, But due to the work on the Clayton End this summer it was impossible to get it up and running this season!...Andy Holt has said tickets will be eventually be able to be bought online but things tale time!

I really think for the long term building of the fan base we need to offer cheaper tickets for u16, I'd rather 3 fans pay £5 each than 1 paying £15...let them get the "Stanley Bug" itll take a few years to see the benefits but building a fan base isn't going to happen over night anyway!

Also ChrisR mentions "marketing" is that including the Clayton End and Maon Stand having a sponsor for the first time in a few years?

A lot of bridges got burnt by previous chairmen by not treating sponsors properly so it's another long process of getting their trust back again!

What I do know is Accrington Stanley is in the best position on and off the field that we've ever been!
Old 05-11-2016, 22:16   #21
God Member

On the subject of ticketing etc Chris ...

DB said (at the last supporters club meeting) that the ticketing process was ongoing and was almost 'right'. The goal is fully automated turnstiles and seadon ticket holders will use a credit card type thing. Some staff already have them for getting in and out of the ground. This is expected to be fully operational by next season.

On the subject of mistakes ... he acknowledged that things werent perfect but when an error occurs it takes 2 weeks til the next home game until a new 'process' can be tried, which invariably throws up a newer problem. At the time of the meeting we had played 8 games at home so had had 8 goes at rectifying mistakes. It's coming together though.

One problem is ticketing for guests of ST holders. If there are 2 of you normally sat together you wont know where you could sit additional guests so couldnt guarantee sitting together. The current process is probably to try sitting here, there or everywhere until you get moved. The new system will have live data showing which seats are currently unsold, find a block of seats adequate for your needs and book 'em. Your usual seats then become available for others.

In the past we've made errors without necessity as little else has been going on, now though I find it forgiveable because such a lot is going on through all aspects of the club.

We are on the cusp of exciting things happening at the club, its really not worth giving any extra thought to some of the more trivial things. I didnt like the idea of cashless turnstiles, it wasnt necessary. However, it is part of a streamlined wider picture so I can live with it. Staff can be put to better use elsewhere ... such as the food and drink outlets (staff last year = 1 ... staff this year 6+?).

On the subject of the outlets ... DB said they were very happy with the upturn in income from these. They have been substantially improved from last year. This is income we've NEVER had as a professional club and will reap dividends when it is ground wide.

Stick with guys, we're not too far away
Old 05-11-2016, 22:23   #22
God Member

Beat me to it Baldy!

Another point raised there is the sponsorship deals, 6 figures of income to the club as well as a couple of new business relationships.

The Blackrock deal came about from a Canadian chap looking into academies where his son could learn for a short while whilst in the country for holidays (or something similar - dont hold me to the exact detail). He was so impressed by the youth set up, and the coaching they received, that he sponsored the kit. He was further impressed by the follow up service that he received, such as photos of the team wearing their new kit, that he rang and asked how he could further get involved.

We're on it chaps.
Old 05-11-2016, 22:26   #23

Well presented opinions all round today on this.
I think the owner and MD have both done really well. As long as things improve month-on-month then why would we have real cause to complain. At some point everything will be sorted.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 22:58   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The Blackrock deal came about from a Canadian chap looking into academies where his son could learn for a short while whilst in the country for holidays (or something similar - dont hold me to the exact detail). He was so impressed by the youth set up, and the coaching they received, that he sponsored the kit. He was further impressed by the follow up service that he received, such as photos of the team wearing their new kit, that he rang and asked how he could further get involved
Was one of the guys to sponsor one of the Wycombe coaches last season...Only been involved with Stanley for a short while but is absolutley Stanley mad!
maccawozzagod likes this.
Old 05-11-2016, 22:58   #25
God Member

Dodgy Diego has been on Radio Lancs to say that it is just initial cashflow and everything will be sorted by next week.

Jobs a good 'un then, we can end the love in and resume hostilities do one Cockle Pickers!
AccyMad and Lord Didsbury like this.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:53   #26
Full Member+

david o'neill springs to mind he i think
st06nc2 likes this.
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:22   #27
Senior Member+

Was reading ShrimpsVoices and a few fans have been suspicious of their new chairman in some of his interviews he has given!
Old 06-11-2016, 16:29   #28
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Was reading ShrimpsVoices and a few fans have been suspicious of their new chairman in some of his interviews he has given!
I don't think Diego the Brazilian has a lot of money.

His Co Chairman Abdul who is from Qatar seems as though he has some so hopefully the wages will be paid. It must be miserable when your wages don't go in.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 17:13   #29
Senior Member+

Should only start worrying when you haven't been paid for three months !!!
AccyMad likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 18:29   #30

What will be will be. I wouldn't be that surprised going off there recent form, they were sold a million promises...again only to be let down. The whole system of ownership under FA rules is corrupt
odders is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..