Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2016, 19:15   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Morecambe Match Thread

I was at the match today.
Happily frustrated that my usual spot in the Clayton End was filled by lots of under 12's!......!!!!
Happily frustrated that I had to queue up for pee at half time......!!!...(phew, I just made it!)........

So it was indeed a great turnout by Accy folk!!!
Frustrated by the result.......... two points dropped......IMHO......but have to give credit to Morecambe because they did their homework on us!
Our main threat Pierro was manacled by the close attention of his opposing fullback and Billy was simply bullied again! I thought though that Billy was immense though, as he continued to battle against oppressive defenders with very little protection from the referee! The referee was very inconsistent letting several cynical fouls go without a word from Morecambe players and then booking Hughes late on for a similar foul!
It was a real shame that two defensive errors cost us the two points as the two lads involved, Davies and Halliday, have been tremendous all season! No criticism intended here as I think they are both candidates for 'Player of the Season'.
Morecambe pressed us all over the pitch and I think that some of our boys felt the 'pressure of expectation' today.
Still, Oxford lost and we are still in there with a shout of automatic promotion".
A Tremendous atmosphere in the Clayton End today with the extra numbers.
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH
AccyMad and smobile like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2016, 19:37   #47
Senior Member+

Just had a look at the BBC 'STATS'.
Morecambe had 14 free kicks awarded against them to 9 against Stanley....yet we had TWO players booked to their one!

....I would like the referee to explain the logic of that to me as there was not a bad foul in the game at all!
Old 16-04-2016, 19:42   #48
God Member

I've huge admiration for Professor Coleman, not least for the way he has conducted the post-match interviews this season and maintained his positivity and balance. Today he was understandably frustrated. I totally agree with what he said; that the team cannot afford to 'coast' or be seen to be coasting having got into the lead and end up regretting points thrown away by surrendering leads.
I'm sure, like everyone else, he'd have liked Stanley to really go for a third goal in the minutes immediately after Windass's penalty.
Now this is not meant as criticism of him, but, in one respect, I wonder if Coley himself might have been able to make more of an impact today.
The penalty came in the 48th minute, but bringing on Fosu-Henry didn't happen until the 73rd minute. If I'm hearing him right, it was in those 20 minutes in between that Stanley lost the initiative and Morecambe took it.
The lad from Reading has his weaknesses as well as his strengths but, to my eye, bringing on someone like him says "we're going for more goals". He's the type of player that is desperate to make a name for himself by scoring and/creating goals, and bringing him on sends a message to both teams.
I'm not suggesting that Fosu-Henry on his own can win games, but increasing the attacking pressure when your opponents are down, not when the initiative has been lost, is one of the few positive ways managers can help to win games.
There'll be more twists and turns, but I believe that the entire squad and management will give everything in the next four games.
Redraine, cashman and choirboy like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 20:00   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I've huge admiration for Professor Coleman, not least for the way he has conducted the post-match interviews this season and maintained his positivity and balance. Today he was understandably frustrated. I totally agree with what he said; that the team cannot afford to 'coast' or be seen to be coasting having got into the lead and end up regretting points thrown away by surrendering leads.
I'm sure, like everyone else, he'd have liked Stanley to really go for a third goal in the minutes immediately after Windass's penalty.
Now this is not meant as criticism of him, but, in one respect, I wonder if Coley himself might have been able to make more of an impact today.
The penalty came in the 48th minute, but bringing on Fosu-Henry didn't happen until the 73rd minute. If I'm hearing him right, it was in those 20 minutes in between that Stanley lost the initiative and Morecambe took it.
The lad from Reading has his weaknesses as well as his strengths but, to my eye, bringing on someone like him says "we're going for more goals". He's the type of player that is desperate to make a name for himself by scoring and/creating goals, and bringing him on sends a message to both teams.
I'm not suggesting that Fosu-Henry on his own can win games, but increasing the attacking pressure when your opponents are down, not when the initiative has been lost, is one of the few positive ways managers can help to win games.
There'll be more twists and turns, but I believe that the entire squad and management will give everything in the next four games.
Very astute observations that you make here Exile....
I also think that the early substitution was probably a mistake, based on 'old loyalties'.
When Scott Brown had to go off with his hamstring injury I would have brought on Bucko in midfield instead of Procky.......
I absolutely love Procky and he has been a brilliant servant for the Stanley cause but sadly these days he is just simply off the pace.
I do think that Bucko is best suited to a midfield role as he is so 'Combative' going foreward and he loves to get 'stuck in'. At full back, this desire in his make up, sometimes leaves him exposed! It was just the right time for him to come on IMHO and stifle Morecambe in midfield and combat their stifling tactics with our own form of midfield aggression!
Morecambe looked weak in defence early on but they looked slick moving forward from midfield into attack! I think that Bucko could have done a valuable job here today.
One chance, late on, comes to mind when Josh Windass had another great run down the right wing and he attempted a shot across their keeper to the far post in front of the Clayton End which went just wide and agonisingly out of the reach of a marauding Billy Kee! Billy looked across furiously as he was looking for the cross across the keeper which he would have side footed in!

Old 16-04-2016, 20:46   #50
Senior Member+

It was good to see Redraine on the match today.
Keep battling against all the odds just like your beloved STANLEY my old mate!
And get well soon Cashy!
Old 16-04-2016, 22:16   #51

2pts lost today, after listening to coleys interview the players won't be complacent again in the run in! Really missed brown closing play in the middle after he come off an will be missed if we havnt got crooksey fit again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
db1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 23:04   #52
Senior Member+

I thought a draw at the end of the first half was fair enough.
By the end of the second half Stanley should have been ahead and out of sight.
Referee gave nothing to Billy Kee despite him being physically man handled all game.
monkey hanger likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 06:50   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems Browns done a hamstring, hope crooksy is fit enough for tuesday,
Old 17-04-2016, 07:46   #54
God Member

2 points lost and that's it. they were there for the taking but another uninspiring home performance again. never really worked their keeper on corners as to me he looked dodgy to say the least. last Saturday Nathan Thomas ran their right hand defence ragged but we had sean mcconville. hate to highlight one player but he had another stinker. good job cashy didn,t go today. someone said Morecambe did their homework on us. surely we should have done it on them. we seem not to impose our game on opponents at home and end up struggling. never exposed a slow defence all game. would we have won if scott brown had stopped on or crooks was on the bench we will never know but we can make our minds up. hope to see a few changes for a must win game Tuesday night.
smudgie and Leylandii like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:23   #55
Senior Member+

Well I don't often agree with Coley's post match comments but I thought he was spot on yesterday, a draw was probably the right result and we really did look venerable at times.

They literally had 2 chances by 2 defensive mistakes and scored twice, so fair play to them. First time ive ever seen a mistake by Halliday, but we are all human.

As Monkey Hanger said, quite how Mcconville continues to be picked is quite staggering, Im not laying the blame at one player's feet, as whatever we achieve come the 7th May will be a quite incredible season.... But he really does look like a fish out of water. It was no co-incidence once he was withdrawn and replaced by Fosu we looked a different team. Kee also looked knackered after an hour..... Wondering why Gornell wasn't even on the bench yesterday?

Must be massively frustrating for Mccarten and Little in particular, not quite sure what they can achieve by getting 10 minutes here and there.

Will be interesting to see who he plays on Tuesday...... Proccy looked massively rusty yesterday which isn't surprising considering his lack of minutes the last few months. Will be a MASSIVE ask for him to start that's for sure.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..