Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2016, 17:07   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Morecambe Thread

Our Captains distribution has been shocking in general this season. not good enough for me,
keep the faith likes this.
Old 27-08-2016, 17:41   #17

And so, the blue touch paper was lit as forecast, only for the cruel hand of fate to stub it firmly out.

A thrilling match though, and fortune will turn soon enough.

Conneely looks like a player missing a hard nut next to him, Parish maybe a little too hesitant but apart from that most of the team did very well. I didn't really think the subs were too bad, but I suppose the scoreline probably indicates otherwise.

Maybe my MOTM today was the Don? Maybe Pearson?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 17:54   #18
Senior Member+

Before Hughesy rightly got sent off we could and should have been 3/4 nil up! Soon as you put your arms around a player these days you always risk the chance of being sent off!

I think if we had seen it out until half time at 2-0 I think we would have gone on to win the game!

Conneelys distribution today was terrible today, Anybody know what's up with Scott Brown? We miss his drive and energy!

I think Shay started well but think his movement in the second half could have been better, getting behind the defender giving them something to think about!

Also think we are too predictable trying to find O'Sullivan to start every attack, Morecambe soon got wise to this and put 2 men on him!

Was Coley confident or naive in putting Sean at LB and using him as a wing back at 2-0 up and cruising or should he have put inexperienced Jones on gone defensive so early in the game and let Morecambe come at us?

Hopefully just a bad day at the office...Thought Sean was one of our better players today!
cashman likes this.
Old 27-08-2016, 18:01   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Browns injured as far as i'm aware, should defo have gone defensive at half time in my view, was obvious what the shrimps would do. certainly couldn't have done any worse imho.
Old 27-08-2016, 18:37   #20
Senior Member+

One other wider point, last season and again this season are players do not look at their physical peak compared to their opponents.

A few are noticeably carrying a few pounds.

Do we not work on fitness? If the manager is not fond of squad rotation, then being at our physical best is even more important.

Hughes got caught out today a few times because physically he wasn't up to it
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 18:55   #21
Senior Member+

Back three / four had a nightmare after the sending off. Beckles and Donacien all over the place and McConville a weak full back.
Why didn't MCCartan go off earlier and get replaced by a Defender ? Why bring Boco on ? Strange decision.

Last edited by Twenty Eight; 27-08-2016 at 19:03.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 19:02   #22
Senior Member+

Tend to agree with Baldy.
The game seemed wide open from the start with both defences reluctant to press the the ball.
It suited Acci and Shay found acres of space in front of their back four and 2-0 should really have been 4-1.
Still can't believe what Hughes did after getting rolled,and you always run the risk of getting red carded.
Morecambe weren't at the races,but got a foot hold in the game scoring on high time.
Excluding Pearson,who wore his heart on his sleeve,the others were looking for inspiration and sat back and invited Morecambe to take the initiative and only the last ten minutes did they regroup and have a go.
Don't normally critise refs,but he was poor for both sides.
AccyMad and yonmon like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 20:05   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The ref is an accountant so obviously a prat.
Old 27-08-2016, 20:17   #24
God Member

He may be both an accountant and a prat but, looking at the video, the ref had no alternative than to red card Hughes in that incident. Quite why Hughes thought he was suddenly at Twickenham is unclear, but it was blatant. It was even silly, as Pearson may have got back, as he often does, to get in a last ditch clearance.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 20:27   #25

The players look very fit to me. After 120 mins on weds and down to ten men they finished the stronger today. Kee, o,Sullivan, mccarten and Hughes are, shall we say, "big boned" at the moment.

Was the Don really all over the place? I thought he was, increasingly unruffled, composed and a model advertisement for the beautiful game.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 27-08-2016, 20:37   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
He may be both an accountant and a prat but, looking at the video, the ref had no alternative than to red card Hughes in that incident. Quite why Hughes thought he was suddenly at Twickenham is unclear, but it was blatant. It was even silly, as Pearson may have got back, as he often does, to get in a last ditch clearance.
Not said about the red card, it was general all over display of incompetence, hardly surprising he aint in the premiership officiating any more. one of there players shoulda also had a red, for a very similar offence in second half, but no just a yellow, the clown even ordered a free kick to be retaken, when it was probably 10ft away, yet no further forward, in a direct line in fact. among numerous other stuff, he was a complete cretin, he also smirked at the Clayton End when he refused us what looked a clear penalty.
AccyMad and keep the faith like this.
Old 27-08-2016, 21:51   #27
Full Member+

I think everybody agrees that the Turning point was the sending off. I was chuffed for Billy Kee scoring two goals, But the lad still does not seem his old self and seems he is still not fully recovered from his injury. Shay was lacklustre, McConville was all over the place and his passing was woeful. Distribution seems to be a problem again this season. It was obvious the three players mentioned should have been subbed. There were good replacements on the bench but as usual it is down to the last 10 Mins to substitute. Why was Chris Eagles not out there? I am afraid John Coleman seems to pick players by name or reputation and not actually on form. The defence was ok at first and then became shambolic before stabilising a little. I was wondering why they only allowed Dorceian to take the throw ins, He was very slow and inaccurate. I am afraid at times it looked like 11 men had walked on to play for us and had never met before. Then you get a taste of magic but not quite enough. There is hope we can improve but I do think the manager has to rotate the squad more and change tactics earlier. We can not afford to lose games like this. Last season has gone. we have to go forward.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 22:53   #28

Ps, thanks for the kind words yonmon.

Wynonie - I've done that coach journey several times as an interested observer but City has lost its soul. Even City fans deep down despise the club it has become.
Old 27-08-2016, 23:06   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I'm sorry cherryfire, have to disagree on one of your thoughts
'connelly had a rate bad day' - he was poor vs Donny, barnet and nothing special vs Bradford.

I don't think he is good enough in the central midfield role, his passing is to sloppy and his creativity and vision is poor. We miss brown although truth be told we really miss crooks!

Surely the French lad can't be any worse than Connelly in central midfield?

Let's be honest, Morecambe where a good team and deserved the win
Conneely Is good enough in midfield and you only have to look at last season to realise that . However, the point you make about missing Crooks (and Windass) is crucial. Conneely was the kingpin last season with the fluidity of Crooks and Windass playing off him. That has now gone and the new midfield partners atm are found wanting. Hope they will get better but we have to accept that the Crooks/Windass/Conneely combo was exceptional at L2 level and we may not be able to replicate again with the present squad. As a result Conneely is looking isolated and somwewhat shaky but to say he isn't good enough is bull
football19 likes this.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 07:04   #30
Senior Member+

Would agree we are missing Brown in the middle of the park too. Anyone know when he is back???
monkey hanger likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..