Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2009, 17:53   #286
God Member

Re: Mullers Gone To Bantams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You lost me at that point. I can no longer take anything you say seriously anymore.
Damn... thought I'd slipped that one past!

I share the concern of Stanley reverting back to long ball football with little creativity from midfield, but I think if Coleman can resist that and start cultivating a passing game, Mullin will fit in well and get us a good ten goals.
It's also realistic to imagine Symes & Lindfield back at Stanley next season in some description. Mullin's presence in the squad can only be a good thing for them (and for Smudger if he's still here, doubt it though).
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-04-2009, 18:04   #287
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my thought is stanley this season have the nucleus of a decent side,have played better football,therefore i have invested in a season ticket fer next year, i reckon if coley with sod all resources can produce a few more jems from the lower leagues, plus keep the gems he's got, certainly symes n linfield, then we will see a Top Half team next season, that given resources would be a great advancement in my book. as fer mullens return, am not sure a guy on more money (if thats the case)will benefit the squad in many ways, bottom line is, we all want stanley to progress, the only issue is the best way.
Old 26-04-2009, 18:42   #288
God Member

Smile Re: Mullers Gone To Bantams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You lost me at that point. I can no longer take anything you say seriously anymore.

As I said earlier, I have nothing against Mullin and I certainly hold no grudge against him for leaving Stanley. However, I do think that it's a shame that he still has a year left with us.

I know he'll be back and give 100% again, but I'd have liked to have seen what we'd have done without him.

We will see that the season after next...

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 19:20   #289
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
We will see that the season after next...
hey valairian if coley unearths some more gems, we may just see next season.
Old 26-04-2009, 19:30   #290
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hey valairian if coley unearths some more gems, we may just see next season.
You may just be right Cashy We will see

Old 27-04-2009, 12:13   #291
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
He's a striker, and still a good one.
Ask Coley and Bell. Both of them have said that Mully is not a striker. He may have been five years ago but not now. He has been a good servant to the club but now is the time to say goodbye. He is too slow, he won't be any use in defence because he cannot turn and has no pace. He has even admitted himself that he hasn't got much pace. He will always give 100% but unfortunately his 100% is not good enough for League 2. Thanks Paul but no thanks.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 15:22   #292
God Member

Anyone at the Macclesfield away game? He lead the line, passed brilliantly and used neat skill in places. He knows his limits and uses his strengths to the full. For a player that wasn't signed to score all the goals he gets us around ten every season.

His last appearance as a striker was five years ago Jeff? He didn't score goals like this five years ago

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...itv-41897.html

edit: oh well, the video's gone. You know which one it is anyway.

Last edited by shakermaker; 27-04-2009 at 15:26.
Old 27-04-2009, 15:46   #293
God Member

Quote:
Anyone at the Macclesfield away game? He lead the line, passed brilliantly and used neat skill in places. He knows his limits and uses his strengths to the full. For a player that wasn't signed to score all the goals he gets us around ten every season.

His last appearance as a striker was five years ago Jeff? He didn't score goals like this five years ago

Yes Shaker, went to Macc. and yes as well as a great Team effort and display, Mullers was playing as well as ever! Agree with you all the way..

Old 27-04-2009, 16:11   #294
Resting In Peace

Quote:

I think I know the goal you mean, the one where he swung his foot at the ball and connected with it for once, was it Macclesfield at home? As I said, he has been a good servant to the club, but it's time to stop relying on him. I've probably seen every game that he has played for Stanley and now he is not as good as he was, maybe it is him, maybe it is because we are playing in a higher league. I just don't think that he will be good enough for League 2 next season. He has no pace, he cannot turn a defender, he cannot run at defenders, he cannot kick a stationary ball further than about ten yards and the opposion know what he is capable of, that is just my opinion. You obviously idolise Mully and watch him through Mully coloured glasses and so have your opinion. Let's just agree to disagree. I hope he proves me wrong if he is with Stanley next season, but I don't think so.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 16:21   #295
God Member

I completely agree that we shouldn't be relying on him, it can't do any good for the team.
And I'm not blinkered enough to deny that sentiment comes into my opinion.
However I think even without sentiment it's not absurd to think he'll give us a good showing next season and another ten(ish) goals.

Oh, and the link I intended to post was from Port Vale away. Sublime finish.
Old 27-04-2009, 16:45   #296
God Member

All the goals are HERE

Quote:

Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 16:50   #297
God Member

Thanks Redash
Old 27-04-2009, 16:53   #298
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

cheers redash great site.
Old 27-04-2009, 17:43   #299
Full Member+

Sadly (or maybe not so sadly) I think there's always a great deal of sentiment involved when a player is approaching the latter stages of a successful career, especially a player such as Paul, who has been such a tremendous servant to the club. The fact remains, though, that footballers do not just go on forever and we have to accept that.

Paul has proved me wrong so many times and has lifted his game up that extra notch as the club has come up through the leagues. However, if we are brutally honest, the signs of age have shown this season. All Jeff's remarks above are, sadly, true and I fear that Paul's downhill trend will only continue next season.

I REALLY hope he proves me wrong yet again, but I feel we should now be looking at younger blood and it's sadly time to say a fond farewell to someone who has made an immeasurable contribution to Stanley's tremendous progress under Coley and Jimmy. Thanks again Paul - now come back and prove I don't know what I'm talking about!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 19:41   #300
God Member

I think that Paul still has a tremendous amount to offer the club.

He is the ultimate professional, trains well, lives well, tries hard - if every other player was to follow his example we'd romp the league. I think that he is a crakcer to have around the squad if only for the younger lads to learn from.

Unfortunately though, I do remember the sad decline of Paul Beck. Such a talisman in his day but went on a season and a half too long. That said, he once came off the bench at 3-0 down to Hyde United (a good side that year) and scored a 15 minute hat-trick!

I think Mullers role should be from the bench and could be all the difference when defending a slender lead with ten minutes left - or to go 4-3-3 when losing by the odd goal.

Whether that role is commensurate with being the squads top earner (or as close as dammit (or probably not at all cos I know nothing and live in the clouds) is for the board to decide.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..