Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree179Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2016, 08:51   #46
God Member

Re: multi-media digital display

Exactly, there's a different need for each source of info - probably best to dabble with all of 'em to get the better picture . . . . . . . although I think your last bit about twittering whilst on the loo is a picture I'd rather not have in my head
maccawozzagod, Chimer and sherry like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2016, 09:04   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

here is how it works;

Andy Holt wants to gossip, or share an update of works, or share an aerial view of the ground that someone has done with a drone, etc etc

"look at this" he tweets ... (max 140 characters)

That then goes out to everyone who has 'followed' him (currently 1335 people)

1335 people see that tweet, and if there is something likeable they will retweet it to all their followers ... so @asfcofficial then forwards the message to 40,000 followers, @officialassc forwards it to 316 followers, @murraydawsonSDA forwards it to 718 followers, @RobRuss forwards it 21 followers etc etc
Thanks Rob, that does make sense, though I still won't be playing. Presumably if I followed @AndyHolt and @asfcofficial and @officialassc and @RobRuss my smartphone would go off 4 times in about 10 minutes with the same bit of info (if I had a smartphone that is)?

You've also made me wonder why at least 38600 people who never turn up at the Crown follow @asfcofficial

Old 11-10-2016, 09:04   #48
God Member

although that mightn't be the best analogy Diane, it does indirectly get to the point.

This day and age information has to be portable, quick, and direct. Pretty much everyone from my age (39) down spends an awful lot of time on their portable device. A large percent of people in the next ten years upwards spends a goodly amount of time on their device. If it's a handheld device you don't want to be spending time scrolling through information, you don't want to be reading heavy amounts of text based stuff. What you do want is a one touch motion (click the app), and then to just swipe down to see what's been said in the last 20 minutes since you last looked.

It's been proven that people these days have less capacity for remembering actual details, but they have a far greater capacity for remembering where they can retrieve those details from. It doesn't make sense but there you have it. Apparently the digital age inhabitants find it easier to remember that "LadBible" said who won the 1980 Fa Cup (and then click their profile and scroll through to the post) than to actually remember "West Ham"
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08   #49
Senior Member+

And now you've explained why UK productivity is so low ......
maccawozzagod likes this.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Thanks Rob, that does make sense, though I still won't be playing. Presumably if I followed @AndyHolt and @asfcofficial and @officialassc and @RobRuss my smartphone would go off 4 times in about 10 minutes with the same bit of info (if I had a smartphone that is)?

You've also made me wonder why at least 38600 people who never turn up at the Crown follow @asfcofficial

lol

no your phone wouldn't keep beeping Chimer, but folk tend to keep checking in and they will see the same post 4 times - so you get the subliminal advertising (advertising industry reckons the average person needs to see something 7 times before it sinks in)

38600 indeed. There'll be folk from all walks of life following the club, scouts, journalists, fans of other clubs noseying etc but there are still tens of thousands of people who have some kind of interest in the club. Presumably the type of people who follow the club for reasons other than fandom will also follow other clubs so here's a quick rundown on other clubs

Morecambe 21k followers
Bury 38k
Rochdale 31.7k
Newport County 32.9k
Yeovil 32.6k
York City 34.9k

There are obviously other similar sized clubs with more such as Fleetwood with 44k but we do pretty good with it. Messages get out there and it's a useful tool for showing affiliation with local businesses. The silly example I used earlier with drawing up plans might include such wording as "plans as the way now via @MaxCabs" "plans now arrived at @RolfHarrisArchitects" etc. MaxCabs and Rolf Harris Architects would then be retweeting their proud association with the club so their followers would then realise what a good business they were as they were the chosen supplier/operator/serviceprovider for an illustrious outfit such as us
Old 11-10-2016, 09:18   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
And now you've explained why UK productivity is so low ......
correct again, I should have been at work an hour ago
baldy and Red-Osbornello like this.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:52   #52

I look a couple of times a day....press a button...oh look, there's a little blue dot. There must be some essential news to see....swipe my finger down the screen and find a picture of some bloke on the top of the Eiger in a Stanley scarf, Dean Winnard's had a new baby and Andy Holt busy fitting a new hand bidet in the gents toilets.

How can you not want a bit of that?
maccawozzagod and smobile like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:21   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
correct again, I should have been at work an hour ago
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm only on here now myself 'cos I'm retired
Old 11-10-2016, 11:08   #54
God Member

That was me last night. I had a kip after tea, woke up, walked the dog (to the back garden) then I was re-tired again :-(
Old 11-10-2016, 15:46   #55
Senior Member+

Can someone explain the loss of community feel?

So far. No evidence has been provided.

I dont wish to upset anyone, but you need to have a bit of evidence if your going to make such accusations
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 22:21   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I look a couple of times a day....press a button...oh look, ..... Dean Winnard's had a new baby......?

How can you not want a bit of that?
Deano certainly was a 'versatile' player when he was at the Stanley but I didn't think he was that versatile!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:57   #57
Senior Member+

I'm with those who ARE on Twitter. I too am retired and I suppose one of those persons who are usually typified as being ignorant of new technology. Not a bit of it. I have a brand new mobile phone with 4G technology and regularly keep up to date with events at the Wham via #AndyHolt and #OASSC. But on the other hand, I also agree with Cashy and others who say information should be put on the Official Web Site. After all, to quote Jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be?". If someone has the time to tweet, then surely they must have time to put a few words on the website, even if it is put in a sub heading of ground improvements!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:06   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I also am on twitter, rarely if ever tweet, but the point is many aint.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:12   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
If someone has the time to tweet, then surely they must have time to put a few words on the website, even if it is put in a sub heading of ground improvements!
not everybody has the capability to update a website though Nigel. People are mixing up Andy Holt with ASFC. Andy posts a lot of stuff about himself, Wham AND the club. It's random, it's brief and it's frequent. I can't think of anything particular that has been posted on twitter that doesn't go onto the website.

One answer may be to have a twitter feed posting live onto the front page of the website, but that surely couldn't happen as then we come back to Cashman and his "anybody can post any old crap". An away fan could tag the club and then troll the website with profanities.

So then it would be just the club posting tweets on its own website, that it then updates with the same news a few inches to the left of it
Old 12-10-2016, 08:33   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Most of twitter is crap simple as, its about club information should be put on website nowt else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..