Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 19:20   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Myfootballclub

I can't log on to their site but the tip bits I have seen from posts lately suggest Halifax is not so much in their plans and its drifting towards Stanley

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2007, 19:23   #32

i get the feeling there after Stanley. But the halifax board have contacted them to say they would be interested.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 21:35   #33
God Member

Stanley fit the profile perfectly and would be the best 'value' for money club around. And also the most marketable if they are looking for a club to sustain itself. £35 each and 50000 members gives £1.75M. Would Eric accept a million? then £750k is a decent initial investment until th efolowing year when another £1.75M gets pumped in.

Dangerous game though
Old 06-09-2007, 03:22   #34
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
on the face of it I can see the pluspoints behind the scheme, and also think that a club like Stanley WOULD flourish under it, however having 50,000 owners sounds like a logistical nightmare.

But can you imagine the potential of all those people wanting to buy a bit of merchandise? or at least a programme sent by mail order every game?

Or trying to get a ticket for the next match? would they become more important than season ticket holders if it came to a big cup game? Wembley play-offs final and we get 30000 tickets, then all of a sudden 50000 'owners' clamour for a ticket whilst 1500 die hards can't get anywhere near.

I suspect it would be fun for a while watching the club get a massive influx of new money, but what happens a year down the line? what happens if we start to pay massive wages that we can't afford if buy-the-club moves on?

And would the Sportsbar have to be renamed the buy-a-club, Buy-the-House Lounge?

If this move comes anywhere near us I think the OSC should be increasing members ten-fold in order to fight it.
Obviously, only a small percentage of MyFC members would live close enough to attend home matches regularly, but that would be an increase in regular attendance. And the club would undoubtedly get a huge boost of support on away matches as members who live throughout England attend the matches nearest them.

You're right that there will be a huge boost to merchandise sales. The members are aching already to starting buying replica jerseys.

But the vast majority of members are very aware that whatever club we buy will already have a club culture and traditions. We're not anxious to change any of those -- no renaming the pub, no renaming the ground, no changing the colors and kit. We're just looking forward to adding ourselves to the committed fans already supporting the club. As I mentioned, our first hope is that all the loyal fans of the club we purchase will immediately join MyFC so that we can profit from their experience and insights to the club. It's a pretty cheap way of getting a say in how your own club will be managed.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:30   #35
Junior Member+

Quote:
Stanley fit the profile perfectly and would be the best 'value' for money club around. And also the most marketable if they are looking for a club to sustain itself. £35 each and 50000 members gives £1.75M. Would Eric accept a million? then £750k is a decent initial investment until th efolowing year when another £1.75M gets pumped in.

Dangerous game though
I can't speak for the team doing the negotiations with the clubs (including Halifax) that have contacted MyFC. Obviously, the other clubs have requested anonymity during the negotiations and so the MyFC members don't even know which clubs they are.

But you're right that the annual cash infusion from MyFC membership is one of the best aspects for the purchased club. It will allow the club to bolster infrastructure, work with a youth academy, whatever the members see as the best priority for making the club grow. The top priority behind every MyFC decision is what's in the best interests of making the club prosper and move up the leagues.

The danger, and I'm the first to admit it, is if we lose membership after the first year. That doesn't mean the death penalty to the club; it just means that the additional cash infusion each year is smaller than we'd like. But keep in mind also that we have no cap on our membership numbers. We hope the success of the project brings in far more than 50,000 total members, which of course, means more money for the club.

Are the buy-out team targeting Stanley? I have no idea. But the club's a very popular one with our members right now. The only detractor I've read members expressing is the competition for supporters in the region. I personally think that's a potential problem for virtually any club in League 2 or the Conference. I don't see it as a major stumbling block.

Again, I don't speak for the management team of MyFC. I'm just one member who happens to think Stanley would be a perfect fit for our goals and I hope, yours as well. And I wanted to correct a few misconceptions regarding what MyFC really is and what our intentions are. We're not the baggy monster some in the press want you to believe. We're just football fans who wish to be far more involved than any club has ever allowed in the past. In that regard, we plan to make history.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:14   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
£35 each and 50000 members gives £1.75M. Would Eric accept a million? then £750k is a decent initial investment until th efolowing year when another £1.75M gets pumped in.
It's only £1.375 million. I've just taken a quick look at their website. £27.50 of each £35.00 is put towards purchase of the club, the other £7.50 goes towards running/administration costs of the MyFootballClub trust and website.
The favourite target for aquisition is currently Leeds United, Stanley are fifth on the list.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:12   #37
Junior Member+

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I am also a member of MyFC, live in Chesterfield, Ihave supported them since I was a child. But have always had a soft spot for "Stanley",been to see them play a few times. I would be one of the "supporters", who would visit more often if I was more involved. Think of all the bigger clubs in your area, supporters who have also joined MyFC.,when their "first team", are playing away, they go to watch "The Stanley",play. Bigger crowds ,more income,what more could you ask for IF, you are a true supporter. Maybe you would rather your team sink into oblivion, say like New Brighton F.C.(who is the idiot now)?????</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Idiot!

=
Malcolmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 16:21   #38
God Member

.... and if Buy-the-club get bored and have the 70% majority that says sell up? who are the idiots left with inflated wage bills they may not be able to service?

.... and if Buy-the-club make a mess of their "experiment" (that journo's words what conceived the idea) who are the idiots that will be left trying to save a club that has been sent to rack and ruin?

The idea has a lot of merit but nobody will ever know if it works until it has worked, or failed. The benefits are huge - but the pitfalls are also as big.
Old 06-09-2007, 18:12   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
The idea has a lot of merit but nobody will ever know if it works until it has worked, or failed. The benefits are huge - but the pitfalls are also as big.
Got it in a nutshell. It's just too much of a gamble to take with something that means so much to us lot on here.
Old 06-09-2007, 18:43   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Got it in a nutshell. It's just too much of a gamble to take with something that means so much to us lot on here.

I don't think I would like 50,000 supporters of other clubs running the club I support either
Old 06-09-2007, 20:31   #41

Hi - I am also a member of MyFootballClub - don't want to go into a long post about MFC but felt the need to correct a couple of statements about MFC

Quote:
.... and if Buy-the-club get bored and have the 70% majority that says sell up? who are the idiots left with inflated wage bills they may not be able to service?
Can't happen - the rules of MFC prohibit the club from borrowing money - any club MFC would purchase has to be run on a break-even basis. Members of MFC are acutely aware that players cannot be signed up to large multi-year contracts because of the potential impact on a club if MFC suffered a fall in membership in year 2 or subsequent years.

Quote:
In fact for the club the pitfalls are not that big. The worst case scenario is that if MFC fails the club will be sold - probably at a nominal fee to a local supporters trust. In the meantime a club like AS would have money invested in the ground, new players, a youth academy etc.
doheochai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:33   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I don't think I would like 50,000 supporters of other clubs running the club I support either
Many (like me) would become ardent supporters of AS. Others would work in the best interests of the club and support it as their number 2. MFC members want this to work. The objective is to give football back to the fans. For too long individuals have used football clubs and football fans as their personal playthings. MFC wants to change this.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:38   #43

Quote:

Or trying to get a ticket for the next match? would they become more important than season ticket holders if it came to a big cup game? Wembley play-offs final and we get 30000 tickets, then all of a sudden 50000 'owners' clamour for a ticket whilst 1500 die hards can't get anywhere near.
This has actually been discussed on the MFC forums and the consensus was that existing local fans (season ticket holders etc) would and should get priority for tickets

Quote:
I suspect it would be fun for a while watching the club get a massive influx of new money, but what happens a year down the line? what happens if we start to pay massive wages that we can't afford if buy-the-club moves on?
Answered above

Quote:
And would the Sportsbar have to be renamed the buy-a-club, Buy-the-House Lounge?
Again this has been discussed extensively on MFC forums and members are conscious of the bneed to maintain the existing traditions of the club. There would be not intention of changing the name of the ground (or parts of it), the crest, the club colours etc.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:42   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doheochai View Post
Many (like me) would become ardent supporters of AS.

No disrespect but I find that strange. The growth of myfc has been based on promoting itself through foottball forums such as this. That would suggest most members already have a first club. Do you not already support a club ?

Quote:
Others would work in the best interests of the club and support it as their number 2.
I'd like to see where peoples loyalties lie. What happens when the club bought by myfc of which you have a 'best interest' are about to relegate your number 1 club in a 6 pointer ? Long shot this may be, but it could happen.

I'm afraid I'm one of the sceptical ones about all this.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:49   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
No disrespect but I find that strange. The growth of myfc has been based on promoting itself through foottball forums such as this. That would suggest most members already have a first club. Do you not already support a club ?
Actually I don't - most do but not all

Quote:
I'd like to see where peoples loyalties lie. What happens when the club bought by myfc of which you have a 'best interest' are about to relegate your number 1 club in a 6 pointer ? Long shot this may be, but it could happen.
remember there are currently about 25,000 paid up members - even if a couple of hundred wanted to, they couldn't scupper the club from such a minority position. Even with this, the regular comment made by people in this situation has been 'operate in the best interests of the club and root for the team I support in this one game'. The over-riding intent by MFC members is to make the project succeed and that can only be done by working in the best interests of the club.

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm one of the sceptical ones about all this.
Scepticism is healthy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..