Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2017, 12:49   #16
Full Member+

Re: Neutral thoughts on the Cheltenham game

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
some how I can't see us improving by playing two up front
(Kee & Gornell) (Kee & McCartan) the truth is we havn't got a big strong Akinfenwa type player nor could we afford one
Not if they sold him by the lb. (pound)
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2017, 13:55   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to disagree, hows it a valid tactic when yeh aint got the midfielders we had last season? that fact alone to me means try other stuff,
I think Coley has been let down by players who possess more quality than they've cared/dared to show. The main culprits being O'Sullivan, Clarke and Kee who have been profligate at best and absent at their worst. Don't get me started on McCartan who is light years away from the Ballon d'Or winner he thinks he is. I like Billy, and he can be excused to a degree owing to his injury problems, but he needs to dig deeper or adapt his game if he is to reach his best levels.
However I half agree as if something clearly isn't working (ie relying on skilled players to support a quality striker with chances and goals), you have to go back to basics and build the nice stuff up from there. We could go 4-4-2 but we don't have any natural wingers, and our forwards aren't exactly mobile. Formations are largely irrelevant but for me we need to find a way to get tight at the back first and foremost which includes getting the goalkeeping situation sorted; it has been one of the biggest but less mentioned problems this season.
maccawozzagod likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:23   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

My own take on it Billy is a damn good player, needs support though he aint big enough to be a one man band, O sullivan aint been half the player this time around imho, have to disagree oer Clark though i rate him,
Old 15-01-2017, 14:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I Formations are largely irrelevant but for me we need to find a way to get tight at the back first and foremost which includes getting the goalkeeping situation sorted; it has been one of the biggest but less mentioned problems this season.
Yeah your right Shaker, goalkeeping has been a problem. First Chapman with his shaky first game, then when Parish got a run in the side he has proved leaky at best, at the near post and under his body.......Chapman still doesn't command his area for a big lad and still looks shaky on occasions.......??..We can't judge the new lad after one game and meeting the team in the warm up. Just hoping he solves our keeper problem within the next couple of games and stays injury free........
cashman likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:51   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
some how I can't see us improving by playing two up front
(Kee & Gornell) (Kee & McCartan) the truth is we havn't got a big strong Akinfenwa type player nor could we afford one
We had GT-F - but he wasn't given a fair chance.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:26   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
My own take on it Billy is a damn good player, needs support though he aint big enough to be a one man band, O sullivan aint been half the player this time around imho, have to disagree oer Clark though i rate him,
I rate him, too. But that's kind of my point. He's played 30 games this season so far in all competitions but only scored 2 goals (0 in the league). A player of his talent should be providing much better output. Same with O'Sullivan. I'd like to see more direct players come in this month to shake up the current crop.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 15:42   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I rate him, too. But that's kind of my point. He's played 30 games this season so far in all competitions but only scored 2 goals (0 in the league). A player of his talent should be providing much better output. Same with O'Sullivan. I'd like to see more direct players come in this month to shake up the current crop.
Can't disagree shaker, but to me apart from injury, the difference is last season we had attacking midfielders which provided great assistance, this term as i have said before our midfield play predominantly sideways and back. why this has not been addressed is beyond my comprehension.thats what training should be all about to me.
Old 15-01-2017, 21:26   #23
Full Member+

It does seem that we all seem to agree on the basic problems. perhaps the management should look at themselves and admit they are at a loss as to what to do. I do resent the implication that I am a Coley Hater as I am nothing of the sort. I am hoping and willing it to come right and I am aware of what he has done with the club. But if we want to progress then changes in personnel may have to happen. if it was a player they would have already been gone. I am surprised Andy has not expressed serious concern to JC about the results. The simple fact is there for all to see. we are not good enough at this moment. we have heard players named O'Sullivan at the last home game could have sat in the main stand and had a brew while waiting for a pass from the centre midfield who never seem to look up and spread the game wide. Piero had the same problem. have we learned. Nah.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 22:38   #24
Junior Member+

Consensus seems to be that earlier/more direct balls forward is needed. Thoughts on the Beckles and Hughes partnership? Felt they did well yesterday until the sending off.
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:15   #25
God Member

Despite the scoreline on Saturday, I really don't think Stanley's problems are the back four.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:59   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Despite the scoreline on Saturday, I really don't think Stanley's problems are the back four.
I agree completely.
Old 16-01-2017, 09:02   #27

I think defence has been OK, keepers apart.

Too many creative players not cut the mustard this season:
ie. Mccarten, O'sullivan, Clarke, McConville, Gornell

No options due to sub-standard recruitment:
Eagles, Hery, GTF,

No creativity/drive in midfield; Seamus and Scott Brown too similar- neither provides any attacking thrust.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 09:07   #28

'I think defence has been OK, keepers apart.

'Too many creative players not cut the mustard this season:

Eagles, Hery, GTF,

No creativity/drive in midfield; Seamus and Scott Brown too similar- neither provides any attacking thrust.'

Forgot to add no leadership in midfield.
monkey hanger likes this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 09:37   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
'I think defence has been OK, keepers apart.

'Too many creative players not cut the mustard this season:

Eagles, Hery, GTF,

No creativity/drive in midfield; Seamus and Scott Brown too similar- neither provides any attacking thrust.'

Forgot to add no leadership in midfield.
Glad to see that we are at last including our Captain in this critique !
Watching him , instead of the game !...I have noted that he seldom ,I if ever, makes the right space for himself and thus has little or no option but to play his now famous sideways/backwards pass !. This often negates any forward momentum which the team have going at that moment, and some enterprising opposition midfielder, having watched video highlights of Seamus in action, must be pleased to know that a quiet afternoon is in the offing.
He is not , in my opinion, a player of sufficient quality to play in, let alone skipper a Football League team ! .... am I getting hypercritical again ?
cashman and Chrisr like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 09:44   #30
God Member

[QUOTE=cashman, have to disagree oer Clark though i rate him,[/QUOTE]

just don,t see what anyone can see in jordan clark apart from the goal at bradford. he,s like a lot we,ve had over the seasons, only in the game for short periods and never seems to do much either. as for the one up front lark was listening to radio tees on saturday as this was brought up by the guy commontating on hartlepools who also play the system. he said ot might work in the premier but at our level he would go for 2 upfront in every game. seems we,re not on our own.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..