Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2015, 15:41   #91

Re: New kit release!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Which team would you be cheering for?
The one in Stripes
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2015, 16:38   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Get real! Nobody has put their hand in their pocket. As Dave points out there is no money in designing a Stanley shirt. But that also means that nobody is paying for the stripes, not even the Barbers Guild.

More likely Mitre offered a set of shirts intended for Stevenage on the cheap!
What about the reason our away kit last year was yellow and blue, was it anything to do with Store First, our kit sponsors colours being yellow and blue?
Old 07-07-2015, 22:12   #93
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Is that the right conclusion? All the examples you mention were changed back because the fans did NOT accept it!

But to be absolutely correct Bury and Arsenal didn't ignore their history, but rather tried to celebrate it. Bury had played in those colours 125 years earlier, and Arsenal (probably mistakenly) thought that their colours had been burgundy a 100 years earlier.

A club like Accrington Stanley should celebrate its history, not ignore it. Because it is what sets it apart. Without the history ASFC is just another Forest Green, or Stevenage!
The examples i've mentioned were or will be changed back not due to fans pressure but for commercial reasons. Most clubs change their strips every season so the fans needn't worry about their clubs traditional shirts being changed for more than a season. The only case i can think of where fans have influenced a club to change it's strip colours or design is the Cardiff City farce where they changed from blue to red, then back to blue.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 22:35   #94
Full Member+

Maybe next season we could have red and white halved shirts like Feyenoord? Seriously though i don't know why some are getting worked up over a few stripes. The strip will still be predominantly red! A few white stripes on the front of the shirt is all we're on about! Anyway,to those who say we are the Reds and now we wont be. I say we are known throughout the football world as Stanley(the only Stanley in Britain and probably the world),not the Reds, as there must be hundreds if not thousands of "Reds" out there!
AccyMad and Wynonie Harris like this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 23:48   #95
Full Member+

Accy Combination springs to mind; the commercial side of the club is almost upsetting. Stick a badge on a generic multibuy kit... Who would have sanctioned this?
Shurm likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:41   #96
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
the commercial side of the club is almost upsetting.
Not all 'commercial' decisions are made by the commercial department, in actual fact they had no input as there was nobody to have any input.

One of the key issues was retail, as most people know I look after that side of things, so I had input, hence why I have defended the decision in this thread.

I've explained some of the decision making earlier,transparency which people ask for then find fault with. I don't feel guilty about helping to make a 'commercial' decision under the circumstances they have to be made. If anybody wishes to step in the club would welcome you with open arms, I don't mind retiring and spending the millions I've made in my time there
Old 08-07-2015, 08:04   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not all 'commercial' decisions are made by the commercial department, in actual fact they had no input as there was nobody to have any input.

One of the key issues was retail, as most people know I look after that side of things, so I had input, hence why I have defended the decision in this thread.

I've explained some of the decision making earlier,transparency which people ask for then find fault with. I don't feel guilty about helping to make a 'commercial' decision under the circumstances they have to be made. If anybody wishes to step in the club would welcome you with open arms, I don't mind retiring and spending the millions I've made in my time there
Are yeh by any chance related to Bob Lord Dave?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:44   #98

I have to say the new shirts have a certain appeal and i am all in favour of the new look
Dave at Giftprint is doing a fine job and certainly got the full support of myself
Not an easy job to keep everybody happy but carry on Dave, lets be POSITIVE
baldy and Red-Osbornello like this.
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:52   #99
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Shame yer support vanishes when it suits yer purpose Nick.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:28   #100
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Are yeh by any chance related to Bob Lord Dave?
Just building an extension to the Bob lord stand !!,the place has no character 😀😀😀
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 13:37   #101

Don't like it, I bet there's hundreds of Sunday morning teams with the same kit.

Sorry I don't understand the financial side of the kits but do we just have a generic strip to keep costs down ?

When a company sponsors the kit does all the money just go to the club or do they have some involvement in the choice and quality of the kit ?

Just interested
Greger likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 14:36   #102

We can't all agree, and I suppose that's why there are Forums like this. But some of the principles and statements put forward here I find hard to fathom.

1. If it brings in money, the club's decision is always right, even when, as in this case, no financial information is offered.

We are told that the breach with tradition is for commercial reasons, and as true fans we are supposed to applaud it, without knowing if it brought many pounds or few. Consequently, tradition is valued at a pound or less. It also means that the only thing that stands in the way of Hyndburn Mitre United is that the FA wouldn't allow it.

2. We are also told that this kind of thing is normal, and we should get used to it. It happens to all clubs.

This is just not true! We can all find examples of unsensitive changes by stupid boards, but if you claim that is the norm you are at best exaggerating. Most clubs do not behave like this, simply because they would not get the support from the fans. And most clubs do bother about the fans feelings, because they need them. If it happened to my home town club, you'd have to bring in the riot police!

I am not from Accrington, and will have to respect your wish to support your local club whatever the situation. That being said You don't have to support every management decision to show your support. It just shows a lack of confidence IMO. "We are such a small little club that we will have to take every pound we can find" is an attitude that I do not believe in. I think it is a mistake also financially. I suppose you would support Mitre Stanley playing in Claret and Pink. I wouldn't!
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 14:44   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

One who supports everything that is decided by those in position to make these decisions, is in my view a total cretin. but then say yeh disagree n the clowns come outa the circus big time.
Greger likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 14:50   #104
God Member

Personally, I would prefer not to have the stripes but can see the logic behind the decision - what makes you think that the fans support every decision no matter what? If you think that then you don't know much about events at the club during/after the SOS campaign for example, also it's not just a matter of 'taking every pound we can find' - at Stanley every penny counts never mind every pound!
And yes, if the team turned out in claret & pink I'd still support the lads on the pitch regardless of the colours they were wearing - I'm not saying I'd like it, I wouldn't but I'm damn sure I wouldn't let the shirt colour dictate whether or not I supported my team
Red-Osbornello and Stanleymad like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 15:37   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
but can see the logic behind the decision

And yes, if the team turned out in claret & pink I'd still support the lads
But what is the logic behind it? I haven't seen anyone try to explain it beyond "commercial reasons". What crap! Are fans supposed to be flagvaving cattle happy to be allowed to rattle? Or are They allowed to question decisions. The attitude of some on this forums suggests "no"!

We all know that you would support Mitre United in Pink and Claret, but I think there would be fewer alongside you. I realise that everyone is not as preoccupied with the history as I am, but I had a mate from Preston who used to go because of the past. I don't know if he is still going, lost contact, but I am pretty certain that Mitre Stanley would never had interested him.

It is not just about a few stripes, it is about the attitude. The attitude of the board towards the fans, and the hardcore fans on this forum who believe that you aren't allowed to question commercial decisions. Some of the PC crap on this forum lately has been quite nauseating!
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..