Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2013, 21:29   #61

Re: New Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Like i said every forums got its dumbos, Please highlight were people accused Coley of walking out, cos i can't remember any. Thats never been n issue as far as i'm aware, still if it suits yer bias Alvin.
Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
He knows what it takes and has no apparent designs on the top job, otherwise he would have thrown his hat in the ring when coley walked.

At least until the end of the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Coley and Bell dumped us mid season. .
If you want generic anti-Coley comments we would be here all day.

Its akin to saying I need a new headteacher for a school. The last one secured outstanding results and wants to come back. Oh no let's not go backwards.....let's appoint the milkman instead. Lunacy.

The question is not Coley or not Coley.....it is why are factions of the support SO vehemently opposed to the second coming? What are the reasons?
SamF likes this.
Old 30-04-2013, 21:42   #62
Full Member+

What concerns me is how long we leave it before making an appointment.

It's all well and good Heys talking about having the time to make a considered choice on the right man for the job. But leave it too long and the new guy faces an even bigger uphill battle.

Most clubs are already doing business with players and their agents securing new faces for next season. If we leave it too long, not only will we probably lose any chance we have of keeping our better players, but we'll struggle to find adequate quality replacements.

Heys also mentioned that they've already had a number of quality applicants putting themselves forward. Now unless we are waiting for Mourinho and Mancini's applications, we should probably already have an idea of who actually wants the job and who the board could work with. I also can't really see us forking out compo to anybody to poach any young up and coming manager. And would the board take a gamble with our hard fought for League status on such a manager???

Add to that Coley & Bell probably, nay definately, have the jump on any of the other applicants in terms of experience of working within the constraints of the role, then I'd have thought the best thing to do would be make a reasonably quick decision.

If it is to be Coley & Bell, I'd be surprised if they weren't appointed before the weekend.

At the moment, I'm struggling to think of any better candidates and IF they are interested & keen to return, then the odds on the "second coming" of the Messiah and his able assistant would appear to be quite short.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 21:57   #63
Senior Member+

If they dont choose Coley and Bell, I hope stanley dont end up with a football league journeyman like a paul sturrock, brian little or john gregory.

If it is not the be the return of Coley, then go for someone young and well connected.
Phil Neville?

Coley and Bell would be my 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice.

But I would rather see us go with someone new with something to prove who would be willing to come on cheaper wages and a shorter deal who we could afford to sack if it didnt work out; we must not get bogged down with someone who has had more clubs than hot dinners.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 22:03   #64
God Member

If Phil Neville was to go straight in to management he would go to Bury, he probably owns a big chunk of it
Old 30-04-2013, 22:11   #65
Senior Member+

"We want to repay that faith by building a squad that is capable of pushing to League One and beyond.".....J.Bell.

But then....."Fine words butter no parsnips".

So what's it to be. Can JC and JB returning to the scene of past triumphs but yet the bosom of the Club from which they defected when Dame Lucre flashed her seductive eyes, really deliver
the actions which mean more than just flattery or idle promises ?. .or will this impassioned plea turn out to be little more than a death-rattle for the pair ?. This imponderable must surely make the task of selecting a new leader a more difficult prospect for the Club !.some very interesting times afoot for us to deliberate upon methinks ?.

Last edited by yonmon; 30-04-2013 at 22:20.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 22:11   #66
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
If it is not the be the return of Coley, then go for someone young and well connected.
Phil Neville?
You really are deluded aren't you

Old 30-04-2013, 22:15   #67

The Flitcroft/Jansen pairing does appeal to me....IF the dynamic duo do not return.
Old 30-04-2013, 22:21   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
The Flitcroft/Jansen pairing does appeal to me....IF the dynamic duo do not return.
I could live wi that, also Ashley Hoskins would be a possible to me.
Old 30-04-2013, 22:21   #69
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Big gamble that one. Something akin to giving Beattie & Jeffers a shot at the job. And given that Chorley are short of cash at the moment, after somebody did a disappearing act with about £70k from their club coffers, they'd want top dollar when it comes to compo.

Not sure I'd want to gamble on that one myself

Old 30-04-2013, 22:24   #70

Great post, Carpon.

After getting over the initial shock, my mind kept coming back to Phil Neville, but I think it's unlikely.

Paul Cook has had loads of stick for the timing of his departure - he didn't control the timing of the opportunity that came his way - and in some ways, Leam's departure is worse given the relatively short time we have to try and get contracts sorted for players wanted at the club next season, sound out potential new players etc. Not many players will show much interest in playing for a manager less club, let alone sign, so I think there is a reasonable degree of urgency for us in making a new appointment.

Much as I would rather not see Coleman and Bell back in charge, I fear they will increasingly look the best option for a variety of reasons.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 22:26   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Big gamble that one. Something akin to giving Beattie & Jeffers a shot at the job. And given that Chorley are short of cash at the moment, after somebody did a disappearing act with about £70k from their club coffers, they'd want top dollar when it comes to compo.

Not sure I'd want to gamble on that one myself
Agree.

Can Carpon explain why Phil Neville, if Coley and Bell where not selected, would be such a bad suggestion?
Old 30-04-2013, 22:29   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't think Phil Nev is a bad suggestion, But Bury has always been his club. In fact think his mam still works yon?
Old 30-04-2013, 22:48   #73
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
and in some ways, Leam's departure is worse given the relatively short time we have to try and get contracts sorted for players wanted at the club next season, sound out potential new players etc. Not many players will show much interest in playing for a manager less club, let alone sign, so I think there is a reasonable degree of urgency for us in making a new appointment.

Much as I would rather not see Coleman and Bell back in charge, I fear they will increasingly look the best option for a variety of reasons.
And therin is the main crux of the matter. Chesterfield have all the info they need to prize away our better players. A bloke who awarded and negotiated the majority of their contracts and an assistant who has got the best out of them when the "chips were down" so to speak.

Personally, I think Richardson has the makings of being a much better manager than Cook will ever be. Which makes Leam's decision to go working as his number two baffling and all the more unpalatable.

Now if we make a quick appointment of Coley & Bell, maybe, just maybe they would manage to persuade key players that it would be worth hanging around at the Crown for another season to be part of a revolution so to speak. I'm sure they could probably bend player's ears about making them better players.

And add to that Coleman has proved countless times already is an alchemist when it comes to nurting undiscovered talent.....

I'm no bookie and as yet haven't seen any markets offered for our next manager by any of the bookies, but I'd imagine Coleman ( & Bell ) will be massive odds on favourite for the job.
DAV007 likes this.

Old 30-04-2013, 22:58   #74
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Can Carpon explain why Phil Neville, if Coley and Bell where not selected, would be such a bad suggestion?
More likely an "un-realistic" suggestion.

For numerous reasons. Mainly his affinity and connections to Bury and his probable wage demands.

Bury fans are in the dark about their current financial situation at the moment. Numerous rumours doing the rounds among Shakers fans are that the Neville family are supposed to be one of the "interested" parties looking to invest.

By that reckoning if the Nevilles did invest and invest in a big way (i.e stump up most or all of the supposed £1million they want to secure things long term) , Phil therfore has the perfect opening to his managerial career.

And secondly, I can't see a character like Phil Neville working for comparative peanuts at Stanley.

Old 30-04-2013, 23:00   #75
Senior Member+

fair points.

Lets hope its Coley and we dont need to speculate on other candidates.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..