Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2013, 23:24   #76
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Re: New Manager

How about Henning Berg would'nt want a fortune in wages and might even buy acouple of players with his interest
Revived Red and Dazzagee like this.
Old 30-04-2013, 23:49   #77
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post

Lets hope its Coley and we dont need to speculate on other candidates.
IF Coley & Bell want to return, then to those fans opposed to their re-appointments, I'd challenge anyone to name two better candidates. Who would work with our budget. And could succeed in driving the club forward???

At the time when Leam was struggling to get results, I was opposed to your calls for the recall of Coley & Bell. I felt Leam deserved a chance to prove his worth and he didn't disappoint !!

Obviously Chesterfield ( & more so Cook ) have recognised Leams talent and his achievement in keeping Stanley in the League & working within diffucult conditions & prised him away.

I said it before, I can't blame Leam for going for a better paid job with less responsibility. I do however, think Cook is clever by getting Leam as his assistant, as I feel it will be Richardson's input into Chesterfield that will gain more kudos for Cook than it will Leam. They say Peter Taylor was the leading light in the successful partnership between Cloughie & Taylor at Derby & Forest. I can only see it being similiar for Leam whilst he plays second fiddle to Cook.

Hence why I, like others, find it baffling why he wants to be in Cook's shadow rather than in the limelight here.

Anyway, we now face a different situation and as a result we now find ourselves managerless at a crucial stage where our players are all soon to be out of contract. Quite a few of the lads, Deano, Rommy, Bavs, Podge etc, all know Coley & Bell. And know how they operate. And that could be crucial when it comes to persuading these lads where to sign. We also don't have to pay compo for sacking anybody and have a vacant position ( or positions to fill )

And the longer we dither and stall on making a decision about our next manager, the more difficult the job becomes for the new bloke.

And to those who doubt the wisdom of re-appointing Coley & Bell. When they left for 'Dale, we were looking like mounting another assault on the upper echelons of League Two and another tilt at the play-offs.

Cook came in and, if there is one thing to be gratefull to Cook for, he did sign some decent players. Leam stabilised the ship, signed a few more decent players and saw us safe.

We've therefore received four lots of compensation and could get the main men back for nothing (i.e paying compo to someone else ) to oversee a squad containing some cracking players (if they manage to keep the majority, or by some miracle, keep all of the key men on board)

Round pegs, square holes. I can only see re-appointing Coley & Bell as a perfect solution to our problem.
smobile likes this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 00:00   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I'm adamant with the rest of you that the club has moved on behind the scenes since they left - but is that not because they had to, and that it would have happened anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats rubbish macca saying club moved on but would have happened anyway, We would have gone to the wall simple as, if Mr Khan had not stepped in. Yer memorys getting worse than mine n i'm n owd fart.
where have I mentioned the club going to the wall and needing IK to step in?

Coleman and Stanley were as tinpot as they come and we played up to it. Some of it might have been Coleys doing, much of it might have been EW. Once Coleman left and Cook came in a lot was done at professionalising the backroom set-up. I suggest you give yer reading glasses a wobble and try to interpret a post before quoting it!

The inference from many (and Rochdale fans included) is that we would be going back to an unprofessional set-up should they return. Personally I dispute that because a lot has changed since they left and a goodly portion of it is nothing to do with whether they were here or not.

Back to the thread ...

qualities required for the job
an understanding of footballing life without the luxuries
an understanding of what it is like to work with one hand tied behind your back and the other in a tigers mouth - whilst needing a wee and you've got your best suit on
an understanding that quality may be low on the ground so you have to work with what you've got and get the best from it
somebody who understands the club mentality

I'm pretty sure JC ticks every box, is available now and will know the current squad very well due to his alleged recent work with us and obviously still close relationship with the club and recent manager.

For publicity sake I'd like us to release details of the applicants just to try and stir some interest in the club around town.

Phil Neville? still haven't forgiven him for Euro 2000 ....
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 00:44   #79
Full Member+

Quote:
an understanding that quality may be low on the ground so you have to work with what you've got and get the best from it....
Should Coley ( & Bell) be appointed and manage to sign the majority of this squad to new deals, I disagree. We'd have the foundations of a bloody good side at this level.

Quote:
somebody who understands the club mentality....
Nailed on......

Quote:
I'm pretty sure JC ticks every box, is available now and will know the current squad very well due to his alleged recent work with us and obviously still close relationship with the club and recent manager.
Nailed on.....

Quote:
For publicity sake I'd like us to release details of the applicants just to try and stir some interest in the club around town.....
Will never happen. I can't really see "high profile" names applying for the job. With the exception of Coley & Bell (proven candidates for the role) we'd probably have a lot of out of work has beens, Un-tried or tested wannabes....Confidentiality....blah,blah,blah.... Whilst realising the sentiment behind this statement, in reality it won't happen

Re-appointing Coley would throw us briefly back into the spotlight. The prodigal son returns & all that. If he then re-ignites the fire that burned during his last stint in charge......

As for the town . The interest has waned since we got back to the league. The club have slashed prices in a bid to get numbers up......we now need an appointment to fire the imagination of the public of Accrington. And drag the floating supporter back to the Crown.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Meself after thought i would like to see it offered to James Beattie, wi Franny as assistant n still playing. Whilst they would be completely new to football management, I don't see the likes of Mourinho as n option. Dunno if they would even be interested or not.
ianray and Chubbyman like this.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06   #81
Senior Member+

I find the concept of Coley and Jimmy returning to the club strangely exciting and for all the reasons given on the other threads.

My only concern is that whilst at Rochdale they kept going back for the same old players that they'd had previously, which still puzzles me today. Whilst at Stanley they uncovered some real gems, so why didn't they do the same down the road? Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in L2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

If they are to stage a return, then it needs to happen very quickly.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
if coley & bell want to return, then to those fans opposed to their re-appointments, i'd challenge anyone to name two better candidates. Who would work with our budget. And could succeed in driving the club forward???

At the time when leam was struggling to get results, i was opposed to your calls for the recall of coley & bell. I felt leam deserved a chance to prove his worth and he didn't disappoint !!

obviously chesterfield ( & more so cook ) have recognised leams talent and his achievement in keeping stanley in the league & working within diffucult conditions & prised him away.

I said it before, i can't blame leam for going for a better paid job with less responsibility. I do however, think cook is clever by getting leam as his assistant, as i feel it will be richardson's input into chesterfield that will gain more kudos for cook than it will leam. They say peter taylor was the leading light in the successful partnership between cloughie & taylor at derby & forest. I can only see it being similiar for leam whilst he plays second fiddle to cook.

hence why i, like others, find it baffling why he wants to be in cook's shadow rather than in the limelight here.

Anyway, we now face a different situation and as a result we now find ourselves managerless at a crucial stage where our players are all soon to be out of contract. Quite a few of the lads, deano, rommy, bavs, podge etc, all know coley & bell. And know how they operate. And that could be crucial when it comes to persuading these lads where to sign. We also don't have to pay compo for sacking anybody and have a vacant position ( or positions to fill )

and the longer we dither and stall on making a decision about our next manager, the more difficult the job becomes for the new bloke.

and to those who doubt the wisdom of re-appointing coley & bell. When they left for 'dale, we were looking like mounting another assault on the upper echelons of league two and another tilt at the play-offs.

Cook came in and, if there is one thing to be gratefull to cook for, he did sign some decent players. Leam stabilised the ship, signed a few more decent players and saw us safe.

We've therefore received four lots of compensation and could get the main men back for nothing (i.e paying compo to someone else ) to oversee a squad containing some cracking players (if they manage to keep the majority, or by some miracle, keep all of the key men on board)

round pegs, square holes. I can only see re-appointing coley & bell as a perfect solution to our problem.
no thanks
cashman likes this.
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin monkey View Post
i find the concept of coley and jimmy returning to the club strangely exciting and for all the reasons given on the other threads.

My only concern is that whilst at rochdale they kept going back for the same old players that they'd had previously, which still puzzles me today. Whilst at stanley they uncovered some real gems, so why didn't they do the same down the road? Added to that they let one of the best midfield players in l2 walk away from the club because of a 'clash of characters'.

If they are to stage a return, then it needs to happen very quickly.
no thanks
cashman and Stanleymad like this.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55   #84

I'd like to see Coley and Bell back. They know the club and fans inside out and understand Stanley. As much as I think Beattie would do a good job we probably need someone with a bit more experience.

Whoever gets the job it really needs to be done ASAP. We need to work on getting players to sign contracts and getting new players in the door. We can't do that with no manager.
McKayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46   #85
God Member

It's never safe to be nostalgic about something until you're absolutely certain there's no chance of its coming back. ~Bill Vaughn

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51   #86
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
How about Henning Berg would'nt want a fortune in wages and might even buy acouple of players with his interest
The Henning Berg that Bury rejected?
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:09   #87

Could be worse. Ian Craney is joking about chucking his CV in for the job!
McKayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 13:13   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKayz View Post
Could be worse. Ian Craney is joking about chucking his CV in for the job!
Well he may as well hes too fat to play.
Old 01-05-2013, 14:05   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayz View Post
i'd like to see coley and bell back. They know the club and fans inside out and understand stanley. As much as i think beattie would do a good job we probably need someone with a bit more experience.

Whoever gets the job it really needs to be done asap. We need to work on getting players to sign contracts and getting new players in the door. We can't do that with no manager.
no thanks james beattie
Old 01-05-2013, 14:14   #90
God Member

Definition of nepotism
noun
The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs:

Was this word invented to describe the recruitment and team selection policy of Messrs Coleman & Bell?
cashman likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..