Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 16:20   #136
Senior Member+

Re: New name???

Typical of Stanley the fans are last in the know...
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2008, 17:01   #137
God Member

for those not in the know (no link available yet) the front page of the Observer tells of the attempted purchase of the club for 1.5M by John Batchelor (for a reason?).

This is the guy who tried to buy Mansfield and change the name to Harchester United (fictional team from Sky Ones Dream Team)

He had suggested taking the club to Leigh where a 10 000 seater stadium is being built and calling the club Lancashire United.

The much maligned name change story was prompted by this and Rob Heys admitted this was his idea. He goes on to say that changing the name is not something the club would do lightly but it is something that they would now definitely think about if it widened the appeal of the club. Eric Whalley weighs in with ..."I said I didnt want to go down the line of appealing for support as we have done it all too often. That is why we now have to consider all options. Peter Cavanagh in his column also says that ",... but it is only a name and if a name change brings about more revenue then so be it."

So the joke rumbles on and the rose-tinted, club can do no wrong fans will continue belly laughing into their tea at the fact that Accy Web continues to be deceived by an April Fools joke on the 3rd of April. Publicity stunt my arse.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:42   #138
Senior Member+

Tin pot behaviour from our " marketing/press office " yet again. makes you wonder why we bother .
Grrrrr.
Old 03-04-2008, 19:44   #139
Senior Member+

Tell you what really gets my goat.... folk on here remain positive and spend valuable time and effort fighting negativity and narrow mindedness and then the Club does something so stupid, farcical and undermining that it makes our efforts pointless.
Old 03-04-2008, 20:07   #140

here here totally agree with you linds
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 20:18   #141
God Member

Macca & Lindsay - spot on its really peed me off too really taking the preverbial now, front page of dross other than the fact a numpty aint gonna buy it but least we know where the joke originated now.

Many asfc fans on here support the club as best they can, speaking from the OSC point of view have been tirelessly trying to promote the club to the people, even successfully getting a grant to do just that!! We had 3 schools to the club last week enjoying their tour getting to know the club historically & present day aiming to tackle the much needed youth support - a real positive response from the schools whom came, there is the Exhibition happening this year - ALL ABOUT ACCRINGTON STANLEY this summer hopefully getting the towns interest & good press. Also the interest of overseas support & connections, the crowd performances & flags by the Ultras getting great attention again promoting the club. The many fans that came out on a freezing saturday morning to shift snow off the pitch so the match could go ahead, the many that painted the stands or volunteered their time to help the club & offered again in the summer.

So what do the club do in its appreciation & promotion of itself ............................ fluff it all up big time - for what ?? Free publicity ?? what about the season ticket offers - what about the schools that visited - what about ASFC integrating with the town - even Hartford coming didnt get the shine - what about the ground improvements coming - what about our objective for next season?? oh no thats jokenly gone to LSU - a made up prank thats what got the coverage!! The club have not handled it properly nor professionally, now is losing trust within it coop of fans nevermind the floating/new fans simply undermining & insulting the ones they have & the town they live in. The press have covered the fact that the desicion could 'effect' from next season - oh what a good one for getting season tickets sold - with even the thought of the prospect or even suggestion - joke or not its still not the point !! Still no reassurance or resonable response from club - shameful.

'Boy who cried wolf' story springs to mind

I support ASFC not LSU!!.............whats the point - may as well not bother as support isnt valued as much as i thought

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 20:59   #142
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Macca & Lindsay - spot on its really peed me off too really taking the preverbial now, front page of dross other than the fact a numpty aint gonna buy it but least we know where the joke originated now.

Many asfc fans on here support the club as best they can, speaking from the OSC point of view have been tirelessly trying to promote the club to the people, even successfully getting a grant to do just that!! We had 3 schools to the club last week enjoying their tour getting to know the club historically & present day aiming to tackle the much needed youth support - a real positive response from the schools whom came, there is the Exhibition happening this year - ALL ABOUT ACCRINGTON STANLEY this summer hopefully getting the towns interest & good press. Also the interest of overseas support & connections, the crowd performances & flags by the Ultras getting great attention again promoting the club. The many fans that came out on a freezing saturday morning to shift snow off the pitch so the match could go ahead, the many that painted the stands or volunteered their time to help the club & offered again in the summer.

So what do the club do in its appreciation & promotion of itself ............................ fluff it all up big time - for what ?? Free publicity ?? what about the season ticket offers - what about the schools that visited - what about ASFC integrating with the town - even Hartford coming didnt get the shine - what about the ground improvements coming - what about our objective for next season?? oh no thats jokenly gone to LSU - a made up prank thats what got the coverage!! The club have not handled it properly nor professionally, now is losing trust within it coop of fans nevermind the floating/new fans simply undermining & insulting the ones they have & the town they live in. The press have covered the fact that the desicion could 'effect' from next season - oh what a good one for getting season tickets sold - with even the thought of the prospect or even suggestion - joke or not its still not the point !! Still no reassurance or resonable response from club - shameful.

'Boy who cried wolf' story springs to mind

I support ASFC not LSU!!.............whats the point - may as well not bother as support isnt valued as much as i thought
Do you get the point now Willie Miller, Jimbo, Timmins ect......???

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 22:17   #143
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Interesting quote from Eric though, "I would not sell to anyone who wants to take the club out of Accrington or change it's name dramatically".
So what exactly does the word "dramatically" mean in this context? Or more to the point what would changing the name "undramatically" involve? Changing just one of the two words that make up our club's name? Perhaps the club could tell us!
Old 03-04-2008, 22:18   #144
Senior Member+

Yes you're right , forget buying a season ticket now.... that explains it all!

Only my personal opinion but the "business" of football is actually taking away the magic of the game IMHO. I care not of takeovers, board meetings, shareholders, steward wages, chairmans opinions, press coverage, ticket prices, vouchers, corporate hospitality. Its like we have 1200 extra members of the board who like to squabble over matters that merely 10 years ago no-one would have cared about nor questioned.

I care about tradition, passion, history & pride; all in abundance at ASFC. I am proud to say I saw & continue to see the rise & rise of Accrington Stanley my home town club.

There is loads wrong with the running of Accy if we are honest but there are folk who have invested money & lots & lots of time who will get that right. The hierarchy only have ASFC at heart, if they hadn't they would have jumped ship by now & we'd be back in non league.

In terms of this thread & much of the content of the forum lately, I would suggest that the negative posters have driven many fans away as in reality, following ASFC ain't as bad as is portrayed on here........................

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 23:03   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
I care about tradition, passion, history & pride; all in abundance at ASFC.
the s h i t e (and I wont pull the word or edit for that is what it is) the club have come out with this week would (if not a "publicity stunt") fly in the face of bold worded one (tradition), three (history) and four (pride)

Quote:
In terms of this thread & much of the content of the forum lately, I would suggest that the negative posters have driven many fans away as in reality, following ASFC ain't as bad as is portrayed on here........................
who provides the fuel to the fire every time?

I really do admire your continued optimistic outlook Mr Miller but can you not see the potential harm this kind of rubbish does?

(expected answer - can you not see the harm that threads like this do?)

answer to that yes but chicken and egg

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 03-04-2008 at 23:05.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 23:11   #146
Senior Member+

The only people that can increase gates are the players by winning games & Accy fans by making the experience on match day a wonderful one, one that potential fans feel they are missing out on.......

Eric moaning in papers will always happen, he's a miserable git But he's our miserable git!

Now if the die hards can't be proud of our club (despite its flaws!!!!!) WHO CAN ?

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 03-04-2008, 23:23   #147
God Member

Quote:
, I would suggest that the negative posters have driven many fans away as in reality, following ASFC ain't as bad as is portrayed on here........................
Quote:
The only people that can increase gates are the players by winning games & Accy fans by making the experience on match day a wonderful one,

???????????????????
Old 03-04-2008, 23:31   #148
Senior Member+

Oh you make my head hurt, how about a few jars in the pub of your choice from 5pm tomorrow!!!

On Stanley ON!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 03-04-2008, 23:37   #149
God Member

make it six Jase and your on, you state the pub and text me (Pm'd my number)

£1.27 a game at pool?
Old 03-04-2008, 23:49   #150
God Member

Quote:
Yes you're right , forget buying a season ticket now.... that explains it all!

Only my personal opinion but the "business" of football is actually taking away the magic of the game IMHO. I care not of takeovers, board meetings, shareholders, steward wages, chairmans opinions, press coverage, ticket prices, vouchers, corporate hospitality. Its like we have 1200 extra members of the board who like to squabble over matters that merely 10 years ago no-one would have cared about nor questioned.

I care about tradition, passion, history & pride; all in abundance at ASFC. I am proud to say I saw & continue to see the rise & rise of Accrington Stanley my home town club.

There is loads wrong with the running of Accy if we are honest but there are folk who have invested money & lots & lots of time who will get that right. The hierarchy only have ASFC at heart, if they hadn't they would have jumped ship by now & we'd be back in non league.

Try these for size!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose tinted 2.jpg (16.9 KB, 4 views)

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..