Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 17:59   #31
Super Moderator

Re: New name???

The first story was obviously a joke, but I still reckon that the second story is serious. Look at the time the story was published on the Telegraph site - 3.42, a little too late for April Fool's jokes, I'd say!
Old 01-04-2008, 18:02   #32
God Member

Yeh true wynonie think this is one big cock up by the club - cant do a joke right

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 18:07   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Telegraph.............a little too late
Sounds about right.

This is all just a good joke gone too far. To indulge in the magical world of if's though... if the name Accrington Stanley was ever changed, it's the last they'd see of me. I support Accrington Stanley; no one & nothing else.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 18:17   #34
Senior Member+

We could become the latest Franchise FC. New stadium, better players, bigger crowds, etc. Smashing!!
Old 01-04-2008, 18:31   #35

I was being serious!!

Accrington Stanley were not founder members of the football league, Accrington FC were.

Our beloved suffix of "Stanley" we owe to Stanley Villa.

So by changing our name, for ONE season ONLY, we are rekindling our connections to our heritage!

(As for East Lancs /Hyndburn United Francise, you can shove that where the sun doesn't shine)
Old 01-04-2008, 18:36   #36
Full Member+

Statement from the club please.They should be concentrating on the league instead of crap like this.
Old 01-04-2008, 18:36   #37

Obvious april fools ... all of it...

<script type="text/javascript">function __RP_Callback_Helper(str, strCallbackEvent, splitSize, func){var event = null;if (strCallbackEvent){event = document.createEvent('Events');event.initEvent(str CallbackEvent, true, true);**if (str && str.length > 0){var splitList = str.split('|');var strCompare = str;if (splitList.length == splitSize)strCompare = splitList[splitSize-1];var pluginList = document.plugins;for (var count = 0; count < pluginList.length; count++){var sSrc = '';if (pluginList[count] && pluginList[count].src)sSrc = pluginList[count].src;if (strCompare.length >= sSrc.length){if (strCompare.indexOf(sSrc) != -1){func(str, count, pluginList, splitList);break;********if (strCallbackEvent)document.body.dispatchEvent(even t);**function __RP_Coord_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Left = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Top = splitList[1];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Right = splitList[2];pluginList[index].__RP_Coord_Callback_Bottom = splitList[3];**;__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-JavaScript-coord-callback', 5, func);**function __RP_Url_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Vid = splitList[0];pluginList[index].__RP_Url_Callback_Parent = splitList[1];**;__RP_Callback_Helper(str, 'rp-JavaScript-url-callback', 3, func);**function __RP_TotalBytes_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_TotalBytes_Callback_Bytes = splitList[0];**;__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);**function __RP_Connection_Callback(str){var func = function(str, index, pluginList, splitList){pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback = str;pluginList[index].__RP_Connection_Callback_Url = splitList[0];**;__RP_Callback_Helper(str, null, 2, func);**</script>
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 18:46   #38

I'm not sure whether to believe this or not, I was aware of an april fools joke this morning but even then I thought there might be something in it.

But if the club are considering it because of a few emails from people around Lancashire saying they'd support us if we changed our name, then I think it's stupidity. We need to listen to the diehard fans we get on every home game.

The name is a joke in itself, Lancashire Stanley United, sounds like a friggin Sunday league team for eight year olds.

e: [email protected]
w: accrington.vitalfootball.co.uk
VitalStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 18:51   #39

A really good April Fool joke works because it is so outlandish that only the most gullible will believe it. This one didn't work. Not because the idea isn't outlandish, but because the powers that be at the club are so out of touch they might just conceivably have come up with such a hair-brained scheme.

That's the joke.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:08   #40
God Member

What started out as a bit of fun, as in a bizzare way turned around and bit us on the bum!

How much is down to mis quotes who knows

The Club should always be looking at new avenues to explore and I do not have a problem with that, a lot of things that have come out of the Club over the past few weeks has been really good news! reduced prices, the new stand, looking at new training facilities etc. The problem is no matter what walk of life you are from or what you do people don't always say well done and comment when things are going well, it's when things turn slightly or get taken out of context that people very quickly turn and see negatives and it produces all the wrong debate & headlines and then you have to start all over again!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:18   #41
Full Member+

What with the manager facing discipline charges and Thomas banned for his petulance, now the Chairman and Chief exec get in on the act. Is this 'Shoot Yourself in the Foot' season ?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:23   #42
Senior Member+

The idea of a name change to raise sponsorship, crowds, etc, is actually growing on me, but why stop at renaming the club after an area? We could go down the road of being named after a corporation, or a product. McDonald's Athletic has a nicely ironic ring to it, or what about Woolworth's Wanderers?

I'm all for it!! Up the Franchise FC!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 20:24   #43
Full Member+

or Whalleys Wallys fc just about sums it up today
Old 01-04-2008, 20:25   #44
Senior Member+

I really hate repeating myself, but pathetic, really pathetic.

Most football fans suffer from bad management all week, part of why Saturday is such a release.

I, for one, can do without this $h1te. Not a happy bunny, 118 and falling.

You don't play with the most famous name in the beautiful game.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:28   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
The idea of a name change to raise sponsorship, crowds, etc, is actually growing on me, but why stop at renaming the club after an area? We could go down the road of being named after a corporation, or a product. McDonald's Athletic has a nicely ironic ring to it, or what about Woolworth's Wanderers?

I'm all for it!! Up the Franchise FC!!!
...and not one sniff of a smillie!
You're angling for bites as much as the fishy

Got to love a pun.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..