Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 20:32   #46
Senior Member+

Re: New name???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
...and not one sniff of a smillie! y
I didn't think I needed one.
Old 01-04-2008, 20:40   #47
God Member

Although the story posted on this website this morning was intended as a spoof release for April Fool's Day .... but if doing so means that we can increase our supporter base and reduce our reliance on the same people week in week out then perhaps we should explore it .....As ever the club welcomes opinions of others, and would encourage supporters wishing to air their views to email the club at [email protected]

quoted from fishy site

as stated earlier April Fools applies til 12pm not after so the joke is no longer a joke. If the club seriously thinks that this is a good idea then I officially join the Whalley out brigade. Then name is the biggest asset we have and if you mess with that then you are no longer welcome.

I suggest you all email your true opinion to the club straight away, I have (my opinion not the OSC - that will come later)

Call it Lancashire United if you want but move the damn club away from Accrington please and I'll give Jack Barrett a lift to the Bold St to help reform Accrington Stanley
Old 01-04-2008, 20:50   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I didn't think I needed one.
Certainly didn't, and admire your approach. Of course you've seen it all before.

Personally after a 12 hour shift, after april's fool is well and gone, don't find it at all funny. Let's face it, it's (here I go again) pathetic, really pathetic.

Like the Milk advert it's going to hang around for quite a while.

Bulls and other forums are already having a field day, maybe we'll even hear a witty chant or two.

The Fishy site lies dormant most of the time, and then it does this.

Beyond a joke.

Tinpot Stanley FC.............. Now that has a ring to it.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 20:51   #49
Full Member+

my opinion has been sent. i just hope to wake up tommorow and this has all been a bad dream and rectified somehow.
Old 01-04-2008, 21:02   #50

ooh I've enjoyed this thread - haven't stopped laffing since the initial club statement. And on the basis that all publicity etc - why not keep the joke going if the LET & Sky were daft enough to report it as a serious proposition.
Loved Redskin's Stanley Villa suggestion - although got a mental picture of our little legged players tripping on the hem of their baggy shorts !
I'm sure Eric doesn't need telling we would lose more paying fans than we'd gain.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 21:03   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Call it Lancashire United if you want but move the damn club away from Accrington please and I'll give Jack Barrett a lift to the Bold St to help reform Accrington Stanley
I'm totally with you there Macca.

They've managed to alienate the Accrington public again, for no apparent reason, crossing the management style of Attila the Hun with Genghis Khan, without the spin of a Goebbels, or Alistair Campbell (sorry to mention a Burnley fan on this forum).

As a fairly recent joiner to OSC I realise what an uphill struggle it is to encourage people along, and the club is it's own worst enemy.

I'll try and stop now, anybody on here think it's remotely funny?

Old 01-04-2008, 21:23   #52
Super Moderator

Call me naive. gullible or even daft as a brush if you want, but I still reckon the club's second announcement is serious. Thing is, I could do with knowing quite quickly, as I'm planning on handing over the readies for my season ticket on Friday...but not if this hare-brained scheme goes ahead!
Old 01-04-2008, 21:30   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Call me naive. gullible or even daft as a brush if you want, but I still reckon the club's second announcement is serious. Thing is, I could do with knowing quite quickly, as I'm planning on handing over the readies for my season ticket on Friday...but not if this hare-brained scheme goes ahead!
Think the club has really stepped over the line on this one, I'd certainly wait till the Barnet game.

I've already PM'd them, not that it makes any difference.

Old 01-04-2008, 21:40   #54
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Of course tomorrow there will be a statement saying it was all a bit of fun but I agree with oggy this is just pathetic, end of.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 21:45   #55
God Member

eh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2773303806.jpg (4.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-04-2008, 21:46   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
I'd certainly wait till the Barnet game.
Might just do that, Oggy, although I would hope that the club would clear the matter up tomorrow by either:

a) announcing that the whole thing was a joke.

or

b) telling us that, in the face of negative reaction from the fans, they're dropping the idea altogether.

After all, that's what any organisation with a reasonable grasp of public relations would do.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 01-04-2008 at 21:53.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 21:51   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Of course tomorrow there will be a statement saying it was all a bit of fun but I agree with oggy this is just pathetic, end of.
This is the quote from Eric Whalley on the official site, “I was always of the opinion that our name was our greatest asset, however looking at our gates it just doesn’t seem to be the case. I have always held dear the name of Accrington Stanley, but it just doesn’t seem to draw in the crowds. Rebranding the club as an entity that the whole county can support instead of having to rely on the people of one town opens up many new revenue opportunities in terms of people through the turnstiles, links with corporate partners and merchandising avenues.”

So, I agree with Bagpuss, "Eric OUT". In the club's own terms we can chant it without really meaning it.

Friday night game, could make good press the next day.

Old 01-04-2008, 22:20   #58
God Member

if calling it Lancashire Untied (anag) opens the door to the whole county why not call it England Stanley United? we'd fill the place then!
Old 01-04-2008, 22:54   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
if calling it Lancashire Untied (anag) opens the door to the whole county why not call it England Stanley United? we'd fill the place then!
How about moving to Wrexham, they'd probably like a league team, and it's just down the road.
Or we could move to a call centre in the far east, and just ring up for the score, save a lot of time, money and heartache.

Or amalgamate with Bury and sell their ground to FC United.
The Andy Bishop chant would need changing, we'd have to stop bashing him.

Old 01-04-2008, 23:23   #60
God Member

April 2nd - no retraction

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..