Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 23:56   #61
Senior Member+

Re: New name???

From Bulls News: Meanwhile, Accrington's April Fools joke of changing their name may be less of a joke after the suggestion gained a positive reaction. Chairman Eric Whalley told the Lancashire Telegraph: "We've had emails and telephone calls from all over Lancashire from people saying they support the idea since we put it on our website.

"Our attendances this season have been awful. The 1,200 people we get week in and week out deserve a medal. But the people of Accrington don't deserve a league team."

Very encouraging Mr.Chairman. Taxi for Eric?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03   #62

Talking Re: New name???

Hahahahaha you lot! Stop it - my sides hurt!

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!

Last edited by Jimbo T Hornblower; 02-04-2008 at 06:06.
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43   #63
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
April 2nd - no retraction
There won't be one either, because the second story is serious!

Tell you what, Macca, if they announce that the second story was all part of the April Fool's joke, I'll give £20 to OSC funds.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:45   #64
God Member

Mmmmm was too much to expect a humerous retraction today - should of been one 1st thing when the joke over ran its course. April fools tradition is get your jokes & spoof's in before 12noon - after that it doesn't count, as the 2nd was much later then the excuse of April fools joke is no longer.

The real laughable thing is that:

a] they cant even promote the club within its township nor form any major campaign for support within the community & schools - this season is all a bit late !! How the buggery are they going to integrate support to wider lancashire???? now that will be a laugh.

b] Ground - although the ground is now improving at the FES - again cut corners & delayed, & if the name changed then the location would have to move to a more central point of Lancashire [Accrington as its non supporters may not acknowledge their club - the majority of accrington isn't going to be enthralled with it staying at the crown ground].

c] Public relations.....................say no more that was the funniest as well as the most insulting but the most damaging ever to the club, the club worst enermy.

d] i bet Burnley FC & Blackburn R FC are peeing themselves over this [no scrap that - i mean the whole football bloody world is] but those 2 will be rubbing hands - cos ASFC have just played into their hands like '62 all over again.

Lancashire Stanley - who are they - a blumming joke - exactly!

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54   #65
Dan
Senior Member+

Do you want another way to reply to the club?

You can email your thoughts to [email protected] or ring the newsdesk on 01282 677107 - anything we do get will be pooled together and presented to the relevant people...

In the interest of journalistic impartiality I'm saying nowt... Macca, is there room in that car with you and Jack?

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01   #66
God Member

Hehehehe Dan whats the plan of action if we do ??

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05   #67
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
d] i bet Burnley FC & Blackburn R FC are peeing themselves over this [no scrap that - i mean the whole football bloody world is] but those 2 will be rubbing hands - cos ASFC have just played into their hands like '62 all over again.
Hardly a mention on the forum of one of those clubs
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14   #68
Super Moderator

This "April Fool's Day joke" is certainly running and running, isn't it?

Accrington Stanley consider name change after April Fool's joke gets positive response | the Daily Mail
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22   #69
God Member

Its definately on hell of a publicity stunt - a bad one ........bring back the milk ad - all is forgiven, nevermind how painful it is to be a stanley fan but can be an embarrassing one thanks to club

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:43   #70
God Member

It's time the club put an end to this riduculous story, I laughed with everyone else yesterday but it's now gone way too far. I can't believe there is the remotest iota of truth in it - surely they could not be so short sighted - but it is now becoming embarrassing as StanleyMad has said.
(And if there is any truth in it i'm hoping there'll be room in that car with Macca, Jack & Dan - we'll need a bloomin double decker bus at this rate!)
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:48   #71
God Member

If I was working for the club I would be checking the IQ of the people who sent the e-mails supporting the name change idea. If collectively the IQ level adds up to more than one then I would be amazed.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54   #72
Resting In Peace

We are supposed to have a new reserve team manager - Asa Hartford (at last somebody with Football League experience) or is this another joke. All that is on the fishy site is this rubbish about name changing. Have the staff at the office nothing better to do than waste their time with this crap? If we have a new reserve team manager why not announce that on the fishy site? If the staff at the office have so much spare time that they can waste it with this rubbish then it's about time some jobs were cut, or some replacements employed who would do some proper work promoting the Club.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01   #73

Any publicity is good publicity

I suspect quite afew people have been on the official web site as a result of this story and they now know how cheap the season tickets are going to be during the month of April.

F****ng Genius if you ask me
Minister Onymfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:03   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister Onymfo View Post
Any publicity is good publicity

I suspect quite afew people have been on the official web site as a result of this story and they now know how cheap the season tickets are going to be during the month of April.

F****ng Genius if you ask me
well said its a joke ffs
Old 02-04-2008, 12:04   #75
Junior Member+

Just heard Talk Sport are running the story on the afternoon show today sometime between 1-4pm.

Might be someone from the club on to discuss it.
Gazlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..