Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2010, 11:50   #1
Resting In Peace

New Stand in 1953

Attached is an extract from a Stanley programme dated 24th October 1953. Looks like the intention was to build a stand incorporating dressing rooms, offices, cafe, tea bars and a dance hall. We are still dreaming 57 years later

Stanley Notes.jpg
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2010, 12:01   #2
God Member

Re: New Stand in 1953

Thanks Jeff interesting reading, seems stanley had high sights then and still now but difference is having someone with money & clout to acheive it once the sorry ownership row is sorted

Took 44 years for a league return & we thought that wouldnt happen again in our lifetimes maybe dreams can come true

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 12:20   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we all know what the white elephant stand which arrived a few years after 53 did mate! this time the difference to me is that we have a financial backer, that fact is proven, it aint gonna happen overnight, but its gonna happen, IMHO.
Old 17-09-2010, 13:11   #4
Super Moderator

Interesting article, cheers, Jeff. I remember my old fella telling me about this - apparently they built a model of the proposed stand which was on display in the window of the shop on Little Blackburn Road next door to the Commercial (Regency). Interesting too, to see that the grandad of the present Burnley chairman was the moving force behind it!
Old 17-09-2010, 17:23   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Interesting article, cheers, Jeff. I remember my old fella telling me about this - apparently they built a model of the proposed stand which was on display in the window of the shop on Little Blackburn Road next door to the Commercial (Regency). Interesting too, to see that the grandad of the present Burnley chairman was the moving force behind it!
I can remember seeing that model myself, Wyn, but it was pie in the sky as was proved latter, the stand they purchase from I think Aldershot was the start of Stanley's downfall, why oh why they bought that White Elephant god only knows, it was used more by courting couples visiting the Jazz club on Sunday nights than on match days
Old 17-09-2010, 22:14   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can remember seeing that model myself, Wyn, but it was pie in the sky as was proved latter, the stand they purchase from I think Aldershot was the start of Stanley's downfall, why oh why they bought that White Elephant god only knows, it was used more by courting couples visiting the Jazz club on Sunday nights than on match days
see it did have some uses.
Old 17-09-2010, 22:19   #7

They were a go ahead little club back then, what with their early installation of floodlights & evening friendlies against the likes of Fulham, Blackburn etc. Oh if only Walter Galbraith had stayed - who knows what might have happened!!
haywoodroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:44   #8

There is nothing wrong with ambition, ideas and even dreams. Its what drives us all on to shape the future.

Every year I used to dread the summer after the season ended watching all our "star players" move on to new clubs and I always wonder if we would have enough players to field a team and fill the bench...... but Coley always seems to work his magic......done it again this year hasn't he...then he is a bit special our Coley......he has certainly improved himself and our team this last two seasons....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 14:00   #9
Senior Member+

Yeah Coely and Jimmy are good but lets keep it a secret. Just tell everybody they are pretty useless and then we can get another ten years out of them!
sssssshhhhh
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..