Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2015, 18:08   #46
Full Member+

Re: New walk on prices from 1st January!

Stanley 1st Home Saturday crown back in the league in 2006 was 1,639. There was a slump in crowds after gaining promotion not a surge. The surge was the year before when walking away with the division.

After one poor game at home in the Football league the crowd dropped by 1,000 and the novelty had worn off. It would be near impossible to quickly return to the 3,000 crowds of mainly home fans sometimes seen in 2005/06 as that was on the back of possible promotion to the football league for the first time and going unbeaten for half the season. Promotion, even as champions, to the third division doesn't have the same novelty.

Any significant increase in crowds is likely to take a decade.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2015, 18:31   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Stanley 1st Home Saturday crown back in the league in 2006 was 1,639. There was a slump in crowds after gaining promotion not a surge. The surge was the year before when walking away with the division.

After one poor game at home in the Football league the crowd dropped by 1,000 and the novelty had worn off. It would be near impossible to quickly return to the 3,000 crowds of mainly home fans sometimes seen in 2005/06 as that was on the back of possible promotion to the football league for the first time and going unbeaten for half the season. Promotion, even as champions, to the third division doesn't have the same novelty.

Any significant increase in crowds is likely to take a decade.
At the start of that fantastic season the crowds were about the same as now they surged dramatically after the televised away win at Exeter and then along with some local derbies and the top of the table syndrome they peaked at just over 3000 tell,s it,s own story me think,s.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:40   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post

And the relevance of referring to grounds closed in 2008 and 2010 is ..... ?
the reference is that these grounds are fairly recent and did not want to go back to the 1950,s when I first went to football as peoples requirements have altered a lot since then. the point is people attended games dispite them and people will not turn up just because of excellent toilet facilities. just another excuse not to go.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 20:42   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
the reference is that these grounds are fairly recent and did not want to go back to the 1950,s when I first went to football as peoples requirements have altered a lot since then. the point is people attended games dispite them and people will not turn up just because of excellent toilet facilities. just another excuse not to go.
Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say. You rightly suggest that people's requirements have altered since the 1950s - but then you suggest that people attended games then despite the poor facilities. So you seem to be saying that they should still attend games despite the poor facilities.

Of course no-one is suggesting that people will turn up "just because of excellent toilet facilities". A bizarre suggestion. The first time visitor to the Wham stadium, though, especially with family - the people that we are trying very hard to attract - will be put off making a second visit if the toilet facilities are primitive. Our present toilet facilities do nothing but reinforce the idea that we tinpot.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 20:53   #50
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Chewbacca;1155074]There was a slump in crowds after gaining promotion not a surge. [QUOTE]

Your figures do not agree with this site:
England historical attendance and performance

Although the above site rather oddly seems to refer to calendar years rather than seasons. If "3,000 crowds of mainly home fans sometimes seen in 2005/06" is correct, there must have been some very poor attendances to arrive at the figures reported on the above website.

Can anyone provide a more accurate picture than that seemingly portrayed by this website?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 21:29   #51
Full Member+

The site looks ropey, the last two years figures don't make sense.

In 2005/06 the last 6 attendances at home were: 3014 ,3320, 2642, 2119, 1946, 3041; in a league with an average of 1800 and far fewer away fans than div 2.
Old 24-11-2015, 10:21   #52
God Member

[QUOTE=Revived Red;1155238]Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say. You rightly suggest that people's requirements have altered since the 1950s - but then you suggest that people attended games then despite the poor facilities. So you seem to be saying that they should still attend games despite the poor facilities.

sorry for delay in getting back to you lap top problems. between my brain and finger I seem to loose my thread. its clear to me if whats on offer on the pitch is good people will go to football dispite any other problems if they can afford to do so. as for this family argument its still really a dads and lads thing although more girls are interested than 20 years ago. my wife and daughter would no more go to football than I would go shopping on a Saturday afternoon. same also can be said for the cinema, you go to watch a film you fancy not for the popcorn.
AccyMad likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 11:17   #53
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1155346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say. You rightly suggest that people's requirements have altered since the 1950s - but then you suggest that people attended games then despite the poor facilities. So you seem to be saying that they should still attend games despite the poor facilities.

sorry for delay in getting back to you lap top problems. between my brain and finger I seem to loose my thread. its clear to me if whats on offer on the pitch is good people will go to football dispite any other problems if they can afford to do so. as for this family argument its still really a dads and lads thing although more girls are interested than 20 years ago. my wife and daughter would no more go to football than I would go shopping on a Saturday afternoon. same also can be said for the cinema, you go to watch a film you fancy not for the popcorn.
I must be one of the exceptions, I'd rather be at the football any day of the week than go shopping - must get it from me mother, at the age of 80 something she's still attending every home game & the odd away game - it's in the blood
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50   #54
Senior Member+

New walk on prices have started!!

With 3 home games now let's get the news out there to people at work, Neighbours, Mate in the pub...

Could be a massive help come May!!
DAV007 and Giacomo like this.
Old 04-01-2016, 21:06   #55
Full Member+

Putting up the prices for 16 and 17 year olds is a bad idea, I'm no sure why the club are persisting with this price hike. I thought it was an oversight but apparently not:
Admission Prices ? Accrington Stanley FC
Old 04-01-2016, 22:39   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Putting up the prices for 16 and 17 year olds is a bad idea, I'm no sure why the club are persisting with this price hike. I thought it was an oversight but apparently not:
Admission Prices ? Accrington Stanley FC
Not the best idea they ever came up with?
Old 04-01-2016, 22:59   #57
Senior Member+

Probably would have been better keeping the over65 at £15 or knock it down to £13 and using the extra £5 we would get from that to subsidise the students/u18s as that's the age we need to be attracting the most!
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Old 04-01-2016, 23:07   #58
Full Member+

The U16 just needs changing to U18 and no harm done.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 04-01-2016, 23:45   #59

These new prices may cause problems with the Carlisle game if their fans have already paid £20 for the tickets already sold.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:24   #60

Promising..... although Saturdays are not so easy for me now.
I haven't been on here for ages but glad that Stanley are still chasing the top places.
A couple of games in hand as well!
It's a pleasure to nip on here, where people seem to be civilised with each other!
More power to your elbow!
Giac
Giacomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..