Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 19:02   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Newport County

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMoody View Post
As much as we were poor, I must say I was quite impressed with Newport, they are very organised, strong and physical and I think they will pick up a lot of points at home.

We were poor though - I would suggest several changes required on Tuesday. IMO Mingoia, Gray and Miller have more to offer than some of the starting 11 today
Agree. When I saw the starting 11 I was gobsmacked that Miller and Clark were on the bench, while our 2 most uncreative midfielders got the nod. No quality at all there, but even at this level you have to have players who are better in possession than those 2, who are BOTH weak links IMHO, especially when playing only one up front.
ianray likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2013, 19:13   #47
Senior Member+

Just back from the game,unfortunately,exile had to endure my company for the full ninety minutes !!.
Acci had the wind behind them in the first half,and started in a 4-2-3-1 shape which I haven't seen pre-season .
They played a attacking 3-1-4-2 which occupied our fullbacks and in turn isolated our centre backs.
This was a problem!,our two are strong and decent in the air,but very similar.
There forwards were just too quick and mobile for them,which in turn meant we went deeper,spaces appeared,and they dominated the second balls.
We had a bit of success,with the wind and when they took there forwards off,but believe me when I say they could have scored ten with a little composure.
Positives- Webber and Hunt did ok,the others IMHO were way below what is required at this level
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:38   #48

Hello all, glad to be back in the football league, commiserations but I cant wait to visit the crown ground.
duckworth likes this.
NewportCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 20:51   #49

Very little to say about today. Wrong formation just about sums it up. No point in being too down after one match but Beatts has just had a baptism of fire as manager. Let's keep the faith and look forward to improvement but let's not play that formation again. Apparently we watched DVDs of Newport so either Newport rehearsed other things behind closed doors or else we didn't watch closely enough.
cashman likes this.
Bentley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 21:48   #50

Just back from the game,and am still feeling a little disheartened with what we saw.Apart from a couple of 10 minute spells in each half,we were outplayed and outclassed by a team who ran for everything and fought for every loose ball.I hope this was just a one-off,otherwise we are in for a season like the last one.
duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:08   #51
God Member

Got to give a lot of credit to Newport they were the one's who had done their homework and they played to their strengths used the flanks well and didn't lose much in possession and some well crafted goals.

We often bypassed midfield thought Webber did okay and deserved his goal and worked hard to bring others into play and thought Michael Richardson looked alright first forty five and then faded we huffed and puffed in parts and perhaps on another day we would have dug in a little more and got something from the game.

A tough footballing lesson today for the Reds but hopefully one we can put behind us and move on to Boro in the League Cup Tuesday Night.
cashman and duckworth like this.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:56   #52
bdc

Webber only really came out of today with any credit, the back line were ripped apart at regular intervals and they created many more chances than us. We were certainly in the game for the first 35 minutes but the timing of the second goal effectively ended the game for us.

Midfield was weak and was bypassed by our defenders on a number of occasions with long balls up to our strikers. We really need to bolster our midfield with someone like Naismith from Rangers. Really cant afford to dwell on this result as a team, we need to get a result next week.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:30   #53
Full Member+

Well......what a disaster!!!

Stanley turn up at "Rodney Parade" and come away looking like total plonkers !!!

Although I haven't been to the game, it sounds like we had our trollies ripped down and given a proper good spanking.

We probably have the strongest looking defence ( on paper ) that we've had in recent years, but we got ripped to shreds. Maybe they were pumped up with adrenalin, first game back in league, bigger than normal crowd.

I think we're lacking three, four, or even five players to really compete this season.

Goalkeeper. Although Bavs relatively shone up until getting injured, Sadly I think his better days are behind him. To me, he doesn't command his area, though he is a good shot stopper. As somebody who played in goal myself ( albeit at a much lower level) I really question his positioning at times; and he doesn't seem to communicate and yell at the lads in front of him. I used to tear strips of the lads who played in front of me. I don't recall seeing Bavs do that.

My personal opinion, a good and solid goalkeeper gives the lads playing at the back an extra 20-30% of confidence.

We lack a "midfield general". Joyce to me has to aspire to step up to the mark required. Don't get me wrong, I think Luke has the potential to play that role ( eventually ) but the time is now. Quite simply, the lad goes missing at times and we need somebody who will bust his guts out for 90+ minutes.

Murphy is also another trier, though unless he can up his game, he's another who can only be classed as a bit part or back up player.

We need one or even two wide players, possibly one on either flank. Let's forget playing fancy formations a.l.a. 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2 , the basics often suffice.

Two good wide men with pace, who can cross a ball and provide a decent supply to the forwards. Two good wide players.....who can drop crosses into areas which torture the opposition and have forwards salivating at the prospect of said crosses......

Which brings me onto the business end....forwards. I believe Webber will be good for 15-20 goals this season. Though, when I look at what we lost from last season ( 30 goals ), I still think we're going to be short of goals. I think we really need a big strong target man who Webber can play off.

The late, great, Brian Clough ( and Peter Taylor ) worked on the basics of the game. Finding players to slot into positions and play set roles. Beattie has to try and emulate that on probably the worst budget in the league!!

Hopefully we can utilise the loan market and bring in players to plug gaps.

For me, that defeat must be a real kick in the teeth for Beattie ; and although he talked diplomatically in the post match interview, I hope in private he's tearing strips off the squad to make them sure that level of performance is not acceptable.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13   #54
Resting in Peace

From the Newport forum:-

But was it me, or did Accrington look worse than most sides in the Conference last season?

Agreed they looked on a par,if not worse than some.That said ,they did have a few decent players that could cause sides problems this season. Their number 3 ,Danny Webber and the ginger guy looked pretty decent.Their keeper was worse than the donkey we had in goals a few seasons ago that played Football League all his career before joining us(Potter).
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58   #55
God Member

Welcome to management, Mr. Beattie.
Thought Newport played like a team possessed (of commitment, energy, and belief) and, as F19 suggests, could well have bagged more. Maybe it was the euphoria of their first game back in the League but Newport made Stanley, except for a couple of brief periods, look very poor. What most impressed was that it seemed to be their new signings who did most of the damage; amazing what you can do when you win the lottery.
I also think their MoM summed up the match perfectly:
Newport striker Chris Zebroski told BBC Radio Wales: ... we've really given it 100% straight out the blocks, I think everyone made it difficult for them... "We kept pressing their back four from the front and that caused them to make a lot of mistakes, and in the end I think me and [Christian Jolley] ran their back four into the ground."

After that performance, things can only get better!
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02   #56
Senior Member+

What was most frustrating about yesterday was ,although they worked hard,we had played against most of there players( torquay,barnet,macc etc..),so we knew what they were all about.Two big centre haves,big donkey in centre mid ( who was good in the air ) and two mobile front men.
As normal,a side with a solid spine,and others played around them.
Looking forward to Middlesborough to see what lessons have been learned !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Well......what a disaster!!!

Stanley turn up at "Rodney Parade" and come away looking like total plonkers !!!

Although I haven't been to the game, it sounds like we had our trollies ripped down and given a proper good spanking.

We probably have the strongest looking defence ( on paper ) that we've had in recent years, but we got ripped to shreds. Maybe they were pumped up with adrenalin, first game back in league, bigger than normal crowd.

I think we're lacking three, four, or even five players to really compete this season.

Goalkeeper. Although Bavs relatively shone up until getting injured, Sadly I think his better days are behind him. To me, he doesn't command his area, though he is a good shot stopper. As somebody who played in goal myself ( albeit at a much lower level) I really question his positioning at times; and he doesn't seem to communicate and yell at the lads in front of him. I used to tear strips of the lads who played in front of me. I don't recall seeing Bavs do that.

My personal opinion, a good and solid goalkeeper gives the lads playing at the back an extra 20-30% of confidence.

We lack a "midfield general". Joyce to me has to aspire to step up to the mark required. Don't get me wrong, I think Luke has the potential to play that role ( eventually ) but the time is now. Quite simply, the lad goes missing at times and we need somebody who will bust his guts out for 90+ minutes.

Murphy is also another trier, though unless he can up his game, he's another who can only be classed as a bit part or back up player.

We need one or even two wide players, possibly one on either flank. Let's forget playing fancy formations a.l.a. 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2 , the basics often suffice.

Two good wide men with pace, who can cross a ball and provide a decent supply to the forwards. Two good wide players.....who can drop crosses into areas which torture the opposition and have forwards salivating at the prospect of said crosses......

Which brings me onto the business end....forwards. I believe Webber will be good for 15-20 goals this season. Though, when I look at what we lost from last season ( 30 goals ), I still think we're going to be short of goals. I think we really need a big strong target man who Webber can play off.

The late, great, Brian Clough ( and Peter Taylor ) worked on the basics of the game. Finding players to slot into positions and play set roles. Beattie has to try and emulate that on probably the worst budget in the league!!

Hopefully we can utilise the loan market and bring in players to plug gaps.

For me, that defeat must be a real kick in the teeth for Beattie ; and although he talked diplomatically in the post match interview, I hope in private he's tearing strips off the squad to make them sure that level of performance is not acceptable.
Some great points.
We need a keeper to command his box not stop rooted to his goal line.
I would throw young Dawber in at the deep end if he felt he could cope.
For me there's only one person capable of captaining the side and surely would have the whole squads respect and that's Hunt.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34   #58
Senior Member+

Are you mad?
Dawber is not a patch on Bavs.
Dawber is not good enough for the conference north.
Bavs aint perfect, but it was 1 game and all the goals where down to a clueless, spineless midfield and a slow defence.
Bqvs was not to blame for yesterday
ianray likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:51   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Are you mad?
Dawber is not a patch on Bavs.
Dawber is not good enough for the conference north.
Bavs aint perfect, but it was 1 game and all the goals where down to a clueless, spineless midfield and a slow defence.
Bqvs was not to blame for yesterday
Are you mad? neither are good enough fer league football, The difference being young Dawber probably will be at some stage.
Redraine and Chubbyman like this.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12   #60

The amount of time the keeper punted it aimlessly down the park was frustrating. Just giving them the ball back.

To be honest, I was expecting an outcome like that. Newly promoted sides are tough to play against.

I worry though, if Boro dish out a hiding (which they will if Accy are anything like they were yesterday) then it could brig confidence desperately low for the upcoming league games.
PeterMurphyisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..