Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2004, 12:03   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Next Season's Squad

howarth waited ages then came in and proved he is very relieable and i have heard that smiffy has benn offerd a part time deal but coley said only full time are nothing
and deano has turned the contract down because he could not risk the money chances
Old 28-04-2004, 18:38   #17
Full Member+

Yes, Paul Howarth did quite well when he came in - better than I expected, and I was absolutely delighted. However, I still maintain that he has not got the basic quality for this level of football. He will, on occasions, let the side down badly, because he has an unfortunate habit of getting on the wrong side of his man. He is adequate as cover, but is that good enough to be offered a full-time contract?. Anyone who saw his performance in the first half at Scarborough will know exactly what I mean.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 09:24   #18
God Member

I agree, Paul did have a bit of a shaky start at Scarborough but remember he hadn't played (or even been on the bench) for about 6 weeks or so. He was just getting into his game though when Coley took him off which at the time I didn't think was fair. And we do need decent cover for Cav with the number of bookings he gets!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 09:39   #19

Have to disagree, many people at the end of last season including myself thought howy would be one of the first to go as he was simple not good enough so were quiet suprised to see that he had stayed, even at the start of this season quiet a few of us cringed when we found out he was starting instead of cav or who ever, he has had a few shockers this season but when he had a run in the team for a couple of months he was one of our most consistant performers. I do however feel he will stay full-time but only as a squad player as he is decent cover for right or left back. He is definatly not going to start above the best right in the conference Cav. Cav is by far one of our best defenders and one of the best full backs i have seen at the club for years.

WAS A GREAT DAY FOR ENGLISH FOOTBALL................................

ACCRINGTON STANLEY ARE BACK....
Cammy ASFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 15:20   #20

I'm not sure Howarth is a "damn goos player". Admittedly he does provide excellent cover, (much better than the cover we have in other positions) but he doesn't have the required ability to perform consistently in the first 11 of what will hopefully be a top 5 conference team next season. As good as he was at bournemouth, he's also had exasperating lapses, eg morecambe away on 1 jan.

I think Smithy is a certainty to go this summer. Whilst it'll be sad to see one of our best players over the past few seasons leaving the club, we're at a higher level now & by leaving him out so regularly, JC must have realised that Smithy just isn't up to it.
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 16:19   #21
Senior Member+

From this weeks Observer...
Jamie/Proccy/Lutel are "considering contract"
Cav/Mully/Rory/Robbie/Flickers/Howarth/Ged have "agreed deal"
Smithy is on existing contract.
Hollis...hoping to stay
Halford...set to be offered contract
Cooky...staying a player/coach
JK...under discussion
Kempson...offfered a year contract with PNE but possibility of a loan to Stanley.
Interesting decisions still to be made,Jamie says the money isn't enough so we could lose both goalies.
Old 29-04-2004, 16:57   #22
God Member

All gossip at the moment.. Yes even the papers gossip.
Old 29-04-2004, 17:28   #23
Senior Member+

Good news....

Hacker and Lutel have both signed new deals for the mighty reds!!
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 19:21   #24
Senior Member+

The "gossip" looks real enuff to me,it's on the official site now!And we have Rory for another season at least!
Old 29-04-2004, 19:25   #25
God Member

Until the club say it ...then in my book its gossip... nothing more and nothing less... When the club announce it then its fact... not before... Just my opinion of course.. Anyone else can feel free to believe everything they read in the paper if they want
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 19:42   #26
Senior Member+

It's not gossip Kipax,have a look on the Stanley site,most of what the Observer says is on there!
Old 29-04-2004, 19:46   #27
God Member

I know.. I run the website remeber

My point is that until Its put on there it should be treat as gossip... the fact they got it right this time doesnt mean it should be treated as fact every time.. Its gossip until the club say it in my opinion...

Following?
Old 29-04-2004, 19:54   #28
Senior Member+

In your previous message you said "until the club say it..."Surely the club did say it for you to put it on the official site???I know what you mean about the press but the same stuff was put on the site by you,who are we supposed to believe?
Old 29-04-2004, 19:59   #29
God Member

I wasn't paticularly commenting on just your post I was saying that......
Old 29-04-2004, 21:30   #30
Senior Member+

Ok,but am not a fan of speculating...it leads to disappointment.The stuff in the Observer had a definite ring of truth about it that proved to be mostly right.Just hope that the other uncertainties are sorted out soon-ish!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..