Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 21:19   #1
Senior Member+

Nicky Hunt

I would play him vs Plymouth at CB.

I know his pace has gone, but his organisation, tackling, ability in the air and leadership is desperatly required.
Its essential we stop the rot, if that means working hard and playing out a 0-0 draw, then so be it.

I know I was critical of Hunt in central midfield, but this was not his fault but the previous manager who played him out of position.

I cant help but conclude Hunt still has alot to offer and I hope Coley and Jimmy consider going to a back 5 to get Hunt talking to and leading the lads to a clean sheet.

I recall in our 2nd season after promotion we had a bad run of form and Coley went to a 5-3-2 which resulted in some pretty boring 0-0s and 1-0 wins but it helped grow confidence and get us out of the rot.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2015, 21:41   #2

Talking Re: Nicky Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post

I know his pace has gone, but his organisation, tackling, ability in the air and leadership is desperatly required.
Its essential we stop the rot, if that means working hard and playing out a 0-0 draw, then so be it.

I know I was critical of Hunt in central midfield, but this was not his fault but the previous manager who played him out of position.
Absolute classic - played out of position so you were critical...... But you want to play him out of position...!?!? Absolutely superb
smudgie and Chubbyman like this.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 21:52   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Nicky Hunt

He played CB at times for Bolton.
He never played central midfield before Beattie put him there.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:33   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
He played CB at times for Bolton.
He never played central midfield before Beattie put him there.
You Sir are a Superstar of awesome proportion, most of our problems seem to stem from players being thrown in before fully fit and many playing out of position.

Last edited by Chubbyman; 04-02-2015 at 06:36.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:08   #5
God Member

Quote:

I cant help but conclude Hunt still has alot to offer and I hope Coley and Jimmy consider going to a back 5 to get Hunt talking to and leading the lads to a clean sheet.

I recall in our 2nd season after promotion we had a bad run of form and Coley went to a 5-3-2 which resulted in some pretty boring 0-0s and 1-0 wins but it helped grow confidence and get us out of the rot.
I get the theory but unsure it would work. For me, Hunty is as old-fashioned a full-back as they come. If we were to drop anyone else into defence I'd probably move Proc there. He did a job on Akinfenwa at the Crown earlier this season and if you can do that there's a fair bet you can mark anyone in this league.

Agree though that we need leaders on the pitch to come to the fore.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:52   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I get the theory but unsure it would work. For me, Hunty is as old-fashioned a full-back as they come. If we were to drop anyone else into defence I'd probably move Proc there. He did a job on Akinfenwa at the Crown earlier this season and if you can do that there's a fair bet you can mark anyone in this league.

Agree though that we need leaders on the pitch to come to the fore.
Last time proccy was tried at centre back was notts county away and it didn't work ( lost 4-0 ? )
He did a job on akinfenwa as we had two cb's also covering as insurance.
I liked what Northampton did to us,played,narrow and didn't give us any space in central areas,and battled like hell.
Think we need a bit of that battling quality to allow us to play
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:03   #7
Senior Member+

J C more likely to go for 4-2-3-1 having Maguire as fox in the box
------------------Davies.
Conneely----Winnard----Atkinson----Buxton.
--------Procter-------------Joyce
Mingoyia-------Maguire----------------Naismith
-----------------Gornell.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:49   #8
God Member

Uncomfortable though it is (to agree with Davo ), I have to admit that I'd also wondered whether Mr. Hunt could adapt to being a CB. he has the height and there's ususally a bit less running around than at full back.
But whoever is played on Saturday, they'll have their hands full trying to deal with Rueben Reed (sp?).
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Does Maguire actually know where the box is? Fox my arse.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:06   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Last time proccy was tried at centre back was notts county away and it didn't work ( lost 4-0 ? )
He did a job on akinfenwa as we had two cb's also covering as insurance.
I liked what Northampton did to us,played,narrow and didn't give us any space in central areas,and battled like hell.
Think we need a bit of that battling quality to allow us to play
If it's the game I'm thinking of (FA Cup - 2011?) Proc was sent off at 2-0* - hardly a fair review!

Agree with playing narrow - would just depend on the ability of the midfield to battle together and counter-attack well. Would imagine Joyce, Proc, Mingoia and maybe Buxton would be effective at that with Gornell leading the line but am stuck for another midfield player who can get stuck in.

*and the red was subsequently rescinded!
Div3North likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:17   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Uncomfortable though it is (to agree with Davo ), I have to admit that I'd also wondered whether Mr. Hunt could adapt to being a CB. he has the height and there's ususally a bit less running around than at full back.
But whoever is played on Saturday, they'll have their hands full trying to deal with Rueben Reed (sp?).
Exile,
Cant see Hunty playing CB due to his reluctance to head the ball !!
He tends to block his man then duck under the ball and take the throw in, and is very good at it.
He commits himself to the tackle rather than jockeying/chasing down the opposition and his experience helps in this,hence i don't really know how fast he is !!!
Different animal altogether centre back and for me hes a clever fullback,who reads the game and picks his runs intelligently
baldy and Chubbyman like this.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:27   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
If it's the game I'm thinking of (FA Cup - 2011?) Proc was sent off at 2-0* - hardly a fair review!

Agree with playing narrow - would just depend on the ability of the midfield to battle together and counter-attack well. Would imagine Joyce, Proc, Mingoia and maybe Buxton would be effective at that with Gornell leading the line but am stuck for another midfield player who can get stuck in.

*and the red was subsequently rescinded!
Think it was Shaker,but he looked like a duck out of water and wasnt tried there again.
I think Gornell will be key,but he will probably need 4/5 games to get upto speed.If he holds it up and brings others into play the team will benefit massively.
Its the three behind him that troubles me.
Naismith and Piero stay wide most of the time,but for me most of their best work/attempts on goal come when we get them into central areas,hence my comment on playing narrow.
Look at Northamptons "wingers",they were excellent,but not once did they stay wide and get to the byeline,just looked to tuck in and run off Richards and O Toole.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
J C more likely to go for 4-2-3-1 having Maguire as fox in the box
------------------Davies.
Conneely----Winnard----Atkinson----Buxton.
--------Procter-------------Joyce
Mingoyia-------Maguire----------------Naismith
-----------------Gornell.
cashman Re: Nicky Hunt
Does Maguire actually know where the box is? Fox my arse.

J C obviously thinks so he's played Maguire at point or fox in most recent games, so I think this is what J C would go for,
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30   #14
Senior Member+

I would start mcCartan or Windass ahead of McGuire, I would also like to see bpwerman given some action
Old 04-02-2015, 12:48   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I would start Long John Silver n Douglas Bader ahead of Maguire as a main striker, thats fer sure.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..