Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 19:32   #61
God Member

Re: Northampton away thread

change to 3-5-2 with jeffers and beattie up front get them chances they will score.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:44   #62
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
change to 3-5-2 with jeffers and beattie up front get them chances they will score.
No doubt at all about that, But all strikers need good service n thats our problem at the moment imho.
Old 09-03-2013, 19:55   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Main differences were they had a 6-5 centre forward,who was good in the air,we had a centre forward who never won a challenge or header !
It was noticeable how difficult Gray found it to make any impact on the game. But since its well known how physically imposing Northampton are, you have to question why we play such a slight lad up front by himself, he was on a hiding to nothing. Might as well have started with Carver, at least he has a bit more muscle to him. That said (and this is an observation made from very limited evidence) Jeffers showed Gray how to do it when he came on, some very sharp runs that started to pull their back line around, a pity that no-one could put him through. If Jeffers does start to play regularly, we have to maximise his strengths, no good just pumping high balls up to him.

As for their goals, the first was just blasted in with embarassing ease, and then Rachubka makes a poor clearance, but was definitely barged off the ball, other refs would have given that in an instant. It's true that we did start to come into it in the second half, but this in part was down to them dropping deeper and defending what they had. Only late in the game did our full-backs get into a position to cross the ball. We barely won a header in their box all afternoon, hardly surprising given they were all half a foot taller.

The pitch was very poor, but that only partly excuses our inability to keep possession. I noticed that we did try to improvise later in the second half by going through the centre a bit more, but this worthy strategy was undermined by poor passing. Gray got a sniff once but was hustled off the ball, and Moly at least got a shot away towards the end that Nicholls (who commanded his box superbly) got a fingertip on.

There was no denying the workrate, but it seems to me that we are letting ourselves down with the basics. On the upside, in Wilson, Deano and Aldred we have the makings of a decent defensive line, and Linganzi does look like a talent if we can again harness the strengths that he brings to the team. It did look also as if Carver was unlucky not to be awarded a goal, if it wasn't over the line it was extremely marginal.

Have a good evening everyone

Phil
nige b likes this.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:34   #64
Resting in Peace

I struggle to make these long trips any more and wasn't there today, but I must echo Football 19's reservations about our keeper, whom I have been uneasy about from the time he came in. I think it is a great pity that we didn't manage to hang on to Belford who looked in a different league ( Oh, he is of course!), but am really hoping Bavs is ready to resume on Tuesday. 12 months ago I couldn't have believed that I could ever say that but he has been a different player this season!
cashman and smobile like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:41   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Even i can't dispute that redraine.
Old 09-03-2013, 21:14   #66
Senior Member+

I agree with just about everything that football19 and Phil have said. Gray had neither the ability nor the height nor the strength to take on Clarke Carlisle but Jeffers showed some real football ability in the few minutes that he was on. I was very impressed by Linganzi. And Rommy Boco was clearly unfit.

The referee (and his assistants, though less so) performed as I expected. It was bizarre to give a free kick against Rommy (and I think he even considered booking him) for doing exactly the same thing to Nicholls that their player had done to Rachubka before the second goal. Having said that, Rachubka did not cover himself in glory in that incident.

And I was convinced that the ball had crossed the line for our "goal that wasn't".
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:16   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I am honestly of the opinion Jeffers will make the difference on our run in.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
I agree with just about everything that football19 and Phil have said. Gray had neither the ability nor the height nor the strength to take on Clarke Carlisle but Jeffers showed some real football ability in the few minutes that he was on. I was very impressed by Linganzi. And Rommy Boco was clearly unfit.

The referee (and his assistants, though less so) performed as I expected. It was bizarre to give a free kick against Rommy (and I think he even considered booking him) for doing exactly the same thing to Nicholls that their player had done to Rachubka before the second goal. Having said that, Rachubka did not cover himself in glory in that incident.

And I was convinced that the ball had crossed the line for our "goal that wasn't".
all in all a good take on the game but I do not agree with you that the ball had crossed the line, I was sitting in the bottom corner of the stand nearest to the goal line and no way did the whole of the ball cross the goal line
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21   #69
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth.

First 45 minutes was pretty much a disaster with the exception of Linganzi who I thought had a very good full debut (Northampton fans didnt stop asking me about him in the pub afterwards). He looked great on the ball and im hoping he is up for the fight to keep us up.

As others have said Rachubka had a shocker and the defence seem to have zero confidence in the lad which is quite surprising considering how many games and clubs he has played for. I take it Dawber is injured which is why Bav's was on the bench yesterday??? As much as Bav's is an absolute clown, this season was his best by a country mile and im hoping he maybe back to galvanise the lads for the last few games.

Gray up front didnt have a chance on his own against the likes of Clarke Carlisle, and he seemed to spend most of the time on the floor. It was the only the introduction of Jeffers and Hatfield in the last 10 minutes did the game really change, with both making some great runs and showing some touches. I would start them both Tuesday.

Linfield was nowhere near fit, so I really dont have clue why he started, he looked knackered after 10 minutes. ! Very poor decision by Leam.

Oh another shocking ex premier league ref in Atwell, no wonder he got binned off the elite list, absolute clown. All in all, I didnt expect much, and we got nothing. But make no mistake this week will make or break not only our season, but our future as a club.
Tommy McQueen likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:38   #70
Senior Member+

The one area that's not been mentioned was the pitch,it was in terrible condition and really suited there direct approach.Only Linganzi looked comfortable in possession and both teams seemed wary of the bounce.
Jeffers movement ,in the short time on looked good(and by movement,I mean NOT running round like a chicken with no head!!!).
Thought at times we missed Joyce's link play and hope he comes back fired up on Tuesday
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:41   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thought at times we missed Joyce's link play and hope he comes back fired up on Tuesday

Staggering, Absolutely Staggering !!!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
The one area that's not been mentioned was the pitch,it was in terrible condition and really suited there direct approach.Only Linganzi looked comfortable in possession and both teams seemed wary of the bounce.
Jeffers movement ,in the short time on looked good(and by movement,I mean NOT running round like a chicken with no head!!!).

(Missed Joyce’s link play)
I’ve also missed it for just about a full season
smudgie, Redraine and cashman like this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13   #73
Senior Member+

Make that two season's !
Old 10-03-2013, 09:22   #74
Senior Member+

Go on then smudgie,who linked play yesterday?,
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28   #75
Senior Member+

Linganzi was twice the player yesterday Joyce has been all season.

You are in the minority if you think Joyce should be starting in that side im afraid.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..