Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2015, 20:18   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Northampton Game.

I am sure you have to play at least five of the players on Tuesday who payed on Saturday,so it will be interesting who starts.
Think Kee will start up top (never realised he has a 1 in 2 career goal ratio !).
Hope to see a couple of young ones at least on the bench .
Maybe try a different spine,keeper,Joe,proccy/Barry and billy up top.
Looking forward to it and hopefully some good performances to put a little pressure on the others.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2015, 09:03   #17
Senior Member+

I think that we played quite well in the first half and had overall control of midfield where we were clearly playing five in a "W" formation leaving Terry playing alone up front. Whilst I fully advocate having control in midfield, one or two of the midfield players have to be more prepared to get forward and make the 'second (or third) man' up top when we are attacking. Terry is not the type of 'lone target man up front' player especially against two big 'bruisers' like Creswell and Taylor. Terry is clearly more of a 'foil' to play off a big old fashioned centre forward.
Nobody has mentioned this but I think that we conceded midfield when Seamus Coneely was substituted. For me, he was our key player for the fist hour with most of our play going through him. He has become the 'hub' around which our team 'ticks' and I would have subbed others instead of him. Our defence, apart from the goal obviously, was strong against very difficult opponents. Northampton are a robust side physically and Richards and Potter up front got away with quite a lot of pushing as did Taylor in their defence. Our boys have got to learn how to cope with this by running into spaces in order to collect the ball, free of an opponent, instead of standing next to opponents and battling for the ball against players who are adept at commanding that space.....go and find space is the key!
Richards has been a super player and one who you would rather have in your team than on your opponents list! He took his goal superbly but I think that our keeper should have continued his rush out of goal and dived across the onrushing Richards and then he could have smothered the ball or deflected it away for a corner. Jason changed his mind half way out which gave Richards just a brief moment to loft the ball which he did, as superbly as any Andy Murray 'lob' that I have ever seen. Must give credit to Richards here! Apart from that I agree that Jason played really well and kept us in the match later on.
Clearly we still need someone who has that 'killer instinct' in front of goal but we also need our midfield boys to step up and score some goals too.
People will talk about team formations and how we started 4-5-1 and then changed to 4-4-2 but it is not that simple. Football is a fluid game and although a team will have a basic shape in a 'formation', all players have to be up and down the field and across the field depending on the state of the play at the time. For example a "4-4-2" formation becomes something more of a 2-4-4 when you are attacking and 6-3-1 when defending! When we have an attacking corner and our big lads from the back go up then it can become a 1-3-6.
Buxton had another good game and he ran himself into cramp again! Davies was strong and steady. Deano had a couple of ' Deano' moments but has built up a pretty good understand with Davies and Pearson too. Pierro, Josh and Sean Mac were a bit hit and miss though. Sean had the best chance when he beautifully cut in from the wing beating about three players but scuffed his shot finding the wrong side of the post...(killer instinct needed?)
Yes we should have been 'well clear' by half time but having gone behind to a strong outfit we did well to come back and get the draw.
ON STANLEY ON

Last edited by choirboy; 31-08-2015 at 09:06.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 09:08   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley nick View Post
Hey i dont think we are that far away from being a really good side
Possibly like to see a bit more pace up top in central positions
If we build on this it could give us a good solidfoundation for the season
Shaun Mac just in behind central striker ??
Nick, who would you pick as the 'Central Striker'?
Old 31-08-2015, 10:13   #19
God Member

an entertaining game with decent officials. we have the basis of a good side but are one player short we need a natural goalscorer upfront and quickly before we have to play catch up again.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 10:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
an entertaining game with decent officials. we have the basis of a good side but are one player short we need a natural goalscorer upfront and quickly before we have to play catch up again.
The transfer window slams shut Tuesday I don,t think Coley will do any incoming deals probaly down to finance shame because there are players like Calvin Zola out there with no club, will probaly be praying nobody comes for any of ours but a big money offer can,t be turned down.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 10:41   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
The transfer window slams shut Tuesday I don,t think Coley will do any incoming deals probaly down to finance shame because there are players like Calvin Zola out there with no club, will probaly be praying nobody comes for any of ours but a big money offer can,t be turned down.
A move for Calvin Zola could be good for us, (subject to his state of fitness).
Old 31-08-2015, 11:00   #22
Senior Member+

Down to money and when big Kay gets more at Stockport than here you know it's going to be difficult!!
Nice to see James Grey doing well at Wrexham,would think he'll be ready for another crack at league football soon
Old 31-08-2015, 12:19   #23
God Member

Why try & bring in another striker & possibly spend money we haven't got when we have a perfectly good home grown one currently out on loan? Just a thought
Revived Red likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 17:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Nick, who would you pick as the 'Central Striker'?
Tommorrow night i would try Adam Morgan up top with Shaun Mac just behind
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 17:50   #25
Senior Member+

Billy Kee for me Nick,although I like to see a bit more of Morgan.
Don't forget he played when we got our only league win !!
cashman likes this.
Old 31-08-2015, 19:43   #26

I would also like to see Shaun Mac played in behind a main striker, but would also like to see Morgan get a run out, an billys started 1 game upfront in which we won 1-0 so there's a few options for tomorrow's game for coley to have a look at.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 20:20   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley nick View Post
Tommorrow night i would try Adam Morgan up top with Shaun Mac just behind
Agree with you there Nick and Pidge. Adam deserves a go at a full 90 minutes.
If Adam is selected from the start I hope that whoever plays in support of him really does get up there and help and doesn't just leave him as a lone target man.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..