Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By football19

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2015, 13:52   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Northampton Game.

Looking forward to a good test of our credentials today. KTF
Old 28-12-2015, 15:05   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Re: Northampton Game.

0-0 half time, seems like a good game.well pleased so far.
Old 28-12-2015, 15:22   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

1-0 Northants
Old 28-12-2015, 15:54   #4
God Member

Oh dear.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 16:16   #5
Full Member+

Look Cashy I have told you, when you are the goalie you can not keep going on the site giving reports.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 16:17   #6
Full Member+

From what I was hearing we were very unlucky not to get a point at least.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 17:08   #7
Senior Member+

Playing against a good team away from home with not much match sharpness. Return to winning ways on Saturday!
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 18:05   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The Northants keeper got Man Of Match says it all to me, we couldn't have played badly simple as.
Old 28-12-2015, 19:03   #9
God Member

There can be no excuses today, whoever it is whose job it is to bring the box of luck left it behind.
The stats on the BBC website say it all. Stanley could and should have netted three times. A bit of luck and it could have been five. The Cobblers didn't look that good to my eye and, I suspect, will be secretly admitting they got out of jail today. Other than a couple of deflections in the first half, they didn't really threaten Stanley's goal. The back four again were solid, young Mr.Halliday in particular making his presence felt. His, and Piero's late substitutions were not because either was playing badly. McConville had a much better game than at Satanage, and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.
Couldn't see it that well from where we were sitting, but I thought their goal was either a bit of luck or the most astute header. He seemed to head it into the ground so it bounced up over Mooney.
If there is one criticism I have is this obsession the team have with goal kicks. The opposition have twigged that Mooney will look to pass sideways to Pearson, so they stay up, and put the defender under pressure, often before he's got the ball. When it doesn't end in panic stations, the best result seems to be a hoof upfield from the left back. Quite how this results in anything better than the keeper taking a traditional goal kick is beyond me. Maybe some Premier League teams can play it out from the bye line but in League 2 it rarely seems to come off. Certainly their goal came directly from Stanley "fannying around" (to quote Mrs.Exile) in the box near the bye line, instead of giving it a damn good clearance. I wonder what Deano was thinking as he sat there watching the result?
But, that small gripe aside, the entire team gave it their all, again. They were just unlucky today.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 20:11   #10
Senior Member+

Any thoughts on the timing of our substitutions, Exile? I noted that the Cobblers made one at half time and had made a second before their goal. We made ours with 13 minutes and 7 minutes to go respectively. Speaking from the relative comfort of my armchair and without any coaching certificates, those substitutions seem to be too late.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 21:10   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Any thoughts on the timing of our substitutions, Exile? I noted that the Cobblers made one at half time and had made a second before their goal. We made ours with 13 minutes and 7 minutes to go respectively. Speaking from the relative comfort of my armchair and without any coaching certificates, those substitutions seem to be too late.

No, I don't think earlier subs would have made much difference. That's no reflection on those who did come on but, equally, the two who were subbed were doing OK. Similar subs were made at Stevenage and it paid off, but Lady Luck was just not on Stanley's side today.
Revived Red likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 02:27   #12
Senior Member+

Goals win games but sometimes you could play til midnight and not score!!.
Been told we played well for 70% of the game and they crumbled and were there for the taking.
Goal was a fluke coming off Mattys face!!
Massive positives tho and teams are getting the respect they deserve.
Only Oxford have impressed me.
Long way to go yet.
Ps- don't think we'll get dragged into the relegation dogfight
yonmon likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 12:16   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
There can be no excuses today, whoever it is whose job it is to bring the box of luck left it behind.
The stats on the BBC website say it all. ...........They were just unlucky today.
Very good write up Exile...
Yes, I looked at the BBC Stats and from the number of shots we had we probably should have scored 1,2 or 3 times. If we had a 'Marc Richards', (another Bogeyman!) in our team I am sure that we would be top of the division now!
ON STANLEY ON

Last edited by choirboy; 29-12-2015 at 12:24.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..