Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 19:14   #16

Re: Northampton Town Match Thread..........

Defence has killed us today, especially murphy, tried to out-muscle an 18 stone rugby player instead of using his head.

Winnard is just not good enough on the ball to play right back. Miller died 2nd half, Hatfield and Bocco quiet.

Threw away a game we shoul have won. IMO Gray MOM, looked decent as a team going forward.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2012, 19:30   #17

Rather surprised and disappointed to see Dean Winnard getting a bit of a pasting on this thread. Dean would run through a brick wall for Accrington Stanley, is just back from a pretty serious injury and in my opinion, deserves better.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:34   #18

Need to get rid of sum deadwood. 2-1 should no lose
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
Rather surprised and disappointed to see Dean Winnard getting a bit of a pasting on this thread. Dean would run through a brick wall for Accrington Stanley, is just back from a pretty serious injury and in my opinion, deserves better.
Absolutely Larry, some stanley players on an away day again shining light again for me was Atkinson but we seemed to back off Akinfenwa every time he got the ball, don,t get me wrong he gets some stick but he his a very clever football player and did one on us today simply because we were not up to it, get a grip lads or ship out cos some of ya aint good enough this is why I take exception to the quote the snake left us in good shape!!!!!!!!! absolute drivel if what I saw this afternoon is good shape Akinfenwa is slimmer of the year.
Anyway on a brighter note the snake got beat this afternoon
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 19:47   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
Not his fault, Larry but he's just not cutting it at the moment. What's the situation with Jon, these days?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Not his fault, Larry but he's just not cutting it at the moment. What's the situation with Jon, these days?
Strange situation. He's yet to play in the SPL and getting a bit (well actually a lot) disappointed. The manager, Derek Adams keeps telling him he'll get his chance, so far that has only been in the League Cup, he's playing regularly for their development squad and they seem to play quite a few behind closed doors friendlies. I suspect his next 1st team game will be their FA cup came against Inverness Cally Thistle.

I did tell him to get his agent to contact Leam Richardson to see if there was any chance of a loan move, as Leam knows him from his time at Stanley. He actually said he would, so who knows?
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 20:21   #22
Resting in Peace

Would love to see him back, as I always thought he was our best right back, both defensively and offensively.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:01   #23
Junior Member+

Our defence is strong in my opinion-if you stop the knee-jerk reaction to losing today. Dean and Peter can play either full-back or central defence. We have two options at left back and have Toto to come back in.
Physically we are weak in the opposition half.
If you were a central defender and woke up on a saturday morning deciding who you would rather play against;
a) Northampton (two big lumps who can also play a bit, plus another on the bench in a similar mould)
b)Stanley with Hatfield & Amond who will run all day, honest players but are too small. (If you are this size, you have to have something extra special to your game)

I hope that Beattie can help to resolve the situation, but we have to accept that this league is full of 'big lads' and is the reason why Stevenage managed to get out of this division at our expense.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 10-11-2012 at 22:04.
Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Would love to see him back, as I always thought he was our best right back, both defensively and offensively.
Yeah, I agree with you Redraine would love to see Jon back, one of the best right backs I've seen at Stanley. much better offensively, but then ther is always the risk that you get caught out if you like going forward. Happens in the Premiership as well.

Dean still not at his best after the injury and he is not improving in my opinion.

We would do much better 4 - 4 -2 at home. Toto out of favour, but he kept Akinfenway quiet last time he was at the Crown Ground, so quiet he didn't score a single goal!

I heard Leams interview after the game and he said they had planned how to cope with big Ak. Didn't work! make a note for next time Leam. Also, substitutions todat were poor by Leam. Like for like with Barnett on for Hatfield was too little to late. It needed, Lindfield on for Hatfield, move Boco inside (He's more of a threat in the centre with his ability to shoot) and maybe Samson on up front with Podge, taking Miller off.

Boothroyds subs were inspired and won them the game, he put two attacking players on, one midfield and one wide left and it won them the game. I should have been in the dugout with Leam today. he's either not listening to his other coaching team or they are not giving an opinion soon enough. Call him all you like but Cooky made his changes soon enough and in numbers to try and change things when they were going wrong.

I know it's easier after the game but, I thought this after their third goal went in. Surely Leam can have a change worked out BEFORE the game, if he wants to change the set up, there aren't that many options.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:31   #25

I do wish people would stop going on about 4-4-2 - name one team who is playing well in that formation nowadays ?

If you play 4 in the middle the opposition will play 5 and overwhelme you every time.Our strength is modern, possession football - our best players are midfielders and its a joy to watch when they get going.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 22:45   #26

If our strength was on show today, it didn't work. the modern way in football is about being able to change the way you play to suit the circumstances in front of you. It isn't smart to only play one way if it isn't working. Boothroyd changed his system and it worked for Northampton. there is nothing wrong with playing 5 in midfield if it is working. Chack the stats for the game we didn't have the majority of the possession today and of course didn't score the majority of the goals.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 23:19   #27
Senior Member+

Forget formations, if it's working keep it, if it's not then go to plan b then plan c if it's not then you are invariably buggered. We were undone today by a side that were bigger and far more physical and played to that advantage eventually. Leam's substitutions were neither inspiring nor imaginative however he is learning his trade and went more the Coley approach (too late) as apposed to the Cook approach (earlier) but it's very rare we are up against a 19st forward who will boss the box.
Hugely disappointing but a learning curve and whilst being a forward maybe Beattie can help them to deal with big fellas!

By the way what a top bout Akinfinwa v Jon 'the beast' Parkin certainly be better than any Audrey Harrison 'fight'!
Old 10-11-2012, 23:31   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Our defence is strong in my opinion-if you stop the knee-jerk reaction to losing today. Dean and Peter can play either full-back or central defence. We have two options at left back and have Toto to come back in.
Physically we are weak in the opposition half.
If you were a central defender and woke up on a saturday morning deciding who you would rather play against;
a) Northampton (two big lumps who can also play a bit, plus another on the bench in a similar mould)
b)Stanley with Hatfield & Amond who will run all day, honest players but are too small. (If you are this size, you have to have something extra special to your game).
I have to agree. It's far too simplistic to blame the defenders. There was just no comparison between Akinfenwa's performance and Podge's. I know that Podge has his admirers, but I'm afraid I am not one of them. It's not only that he is too small; he cannot control a ball and lay it off. Unlike Akinfenwa, who was able to do that with ease all afternoon. Murphy cannot be blamed for the skill of an opponent. Too often, Podge is on the wrong side of his marker - he waits for a mistake by the defender rather than force the defender into a mistake. Yes, he will run and chase - but we need more from a striker. I can recall only one chance for Podge - and that was a poor header.

I feel something else should be said. We simply do not have a right winger. Charlie was wasted there, and Rommy is wasted there. Deano is not a wing back - Jon Bateson was.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12   #29
Full Member+

For me, all the lads at the back need to take a very long and hard look at that performance.

I'd agree, Deano is playing out of position at right back and I think he's wasted there. He's a much better Centre back / Central defender than Murphy will ever be.

Having got ourselves in a position to win the game we capitulated. We couldn't handle marking a guy whose only positive aspect as a football player is by using his "more than ample frame " to bully posession and the fact he knows where the net is. The guy took an eternity to wobble back to the half way line for the restarts once he'd scored!!!

I was listening to Leam on Radio Lancs after the game and he mentioned they'd been working on marking Akinfenwa "the blob" all week. Obviously it didn't work. Having just watched the goals again on the F.L. show, there were two very weak and lilly livered challenges on Akinfenwa for their 2nd, marking none existent for their 3rd ( to me, Murphy totally lost Akinfenwa) and the fourth was another case of Akinfenwa bullying to get the chance for his hat-trick.

As for Boco being "quiet".... were you watching the same game Mr. Moody??? A cracking goal scored and I'd have to say.... he may have had better games for Stanley but I wouldn't knock him for his effort today.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:29   #30
Senior Member+

Missed the last few games due to holiday commitments,so it's unfair to coment on performances.
Am i missing something,upto yesterday,the previous four games,the team conceded two goals,and were 2-1 up,and after a nine minute mad spell,there not good enough !
Everyone's entitled to an opinion,but according to Liam,the team played well,and its his opinion that counts.
Looking at games,from a tactical point of view,we do miss a large/target man,and hopefully Beatty will give us that.
Regarding Dean,he has had a serious injury,was asked by coley to play,and following his operation,missed a large amount of pre season and really shouldn't have played.
Having no reserve team hasn't helped and again he's played when asked.
Hopefully he's starting to get fitter and turning the corner( two goals conceeded in four games suggests the same)
For the newer posters on here saying he can't play fullback,how many left wingers have ever got the better of him?,for everyone named,I will give you five that have been subbed!.
Thought he played fullback in our play off season and even played more than a season at left back !!
I am all for constructive criticism, backed up with facts,
Ps look at all our previous centre backs who were asked to play full back,any stood out ?,
Edwards,hessey to name a couple
Pps if he has played crap,please dismiss the above!!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..