Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32   #31
Full Member+

Re: Northampton Town Match Thread..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
Rather surprised and disappointed to see Dean Winnard getting a bit of a pasting on this thread. Dean would run through a brick wall for Accrington Stanley, is just back from a pretty serious injury and in my opinion, deserves better.
Well Larry, I don't think Deano has been given a 'pasting', just think he's not playing at his best at the moment. I don't doubt his commitment, he's been a stalwart for us and I'm a great fan. The injury may still be a factor in his play. Basically, I just think he's being played out of position but , being Deano, he'll play anywhere.
Problem is, we've got no fullbacks, which goes back to JC's time really. Mcintyre solved the LB berth but even he was a midfielder when he first came from Macclesfield and took time to adjust. RB has never been solved since Bateson lost it at Bury and JC never forgave him (artistic licence - I'm reading between the lines cos we've never had a full explanation of this episode but Bateson never played in first team again)
Most people I talk to thought that Bateson had potential and that seems to be the thoughts of many posts I have seen on these threads. Given the kind of club we are, if he'd been given a decent run he may have developed into the kind of RB we need . i.e. one that can defend primarily and attack with pace and cross from the byline. Molyneaux has this in his game from the left and his crosses are exceptional but this is just not Deano's game. He's a defender , CB and a good one.
We seem to have an abundance of midfield players , all at the same competence. - send some of them back (loanees) and get a pacey right back
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2012, 01:47   #32
Senior Member+

Reamer,nice post,and everyone knows deans a defender,the trouble is,when fit,he's the fastest player at acci ,his strengths ,when fit,are his pace,indeed in his last season at Blackburn,he was the fastest over 10/20/30/40 m,only Olsen matched his 40 m time!, his game,before coming to acci,was centre back playing a high line,That's why they play him at fullback,not because of his crossing abilities !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:30   #33
Senior Member+

Well my two pence worth, as Leam said 10 crazy minutes changed the game.
The 2 subs they made changed the game, simple. Not sure where our changes where??

I know its a case of what if.......... But I thought yesterday was made for Toto at the back, against the big man he was the only option. Murph and Atkinson didnt have a chance.

Thought Gray did ok considering he hasnt played for two months, but I really think Molyneux is a better Left Winger than Left Back. Molyneux didnt have the best day, neither did Boco, but the latter scored a cracker.

No doubt their goals where class, but it was our lads that seemed to go asleep. For me Joyce was way below par....... AGAIN ! We are trying to play him as a Bryan Hughes type creative Midfielder when he simply not the same standard. Miller is trying his best, and scored another great goal, but he is only a young lad and we cannot expect anymore of him.

My solution.......... Send the likes of Sheppard, Osawe, Sampson, Whichelow and Mongoia back and bring in a genuine Right Back and creative Midfielder to help Miller in the middle of the park..... Anybody know what has happened to Luke Clarke???
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:21   #34
Senior Member+

Agree with most of your post smudge, but disagree with the centre backs comment.Toto could become a really good player,but plays it how he sees it,not how the coaches see it!,
Murph and Atkinson are both good players,but tend to play a little too deep at times for my liking,and against players like akinfenda is suicidal,contact should be made 40 yards from your goal not in the pen area.
Indeed,we have struggled against all big players this season because of this.
The fullback debate will always rage on,but at this level your cant play with two attack minded fullbacks,unless your centre backs are world class,you just get picked off,even man utd fall for this and they have class centre halves.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
Need to get rid of sum deadwood. 2-1 should no lose
A ludicrous comment. Where exactly was the deadwood yesterday? Yes, there is some deadwood at the club - but it didn't make yesterday's team sheet.

We lost because we were outthought by an experienced manager and outgunned by a heavyweight front man who has far more skill - and speed - than he is given credit for. Did no-one else notice that chase for a loose ball with Deano in the first half, a chase that Akinfenwa was certainly not losing?
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38   #36
Senior Member+

Your spot on RR,we have not given him credit,he's a nightmare to play against,his touch and control is first class, two great feet and excellent in the air.Although not a grafter,he's quick over ten yards and his hold up play is different class,reads the ball flight early and is impossible to move.
To play him effectively,you have to hold an high line and defend the second balls , KEEP HIM OUT OF THE AREA !
Old 11-11-2012, 10:42   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Fat Trick scorer is a great front man, Can also hold the ball up, lay it off well, very deceiving wi speed oer a short distance, would love him in our front line.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:28   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Your spot on RR,we have not given him credit,he's a nightmare to play against,his touch and control is first class, two great feet and excellent in the air.Although not a grafter,he's quick over ten yards and his hold up play is different class,reads the ball flight early and is impossible to move.
To play him effectively,you have to hold an high line and defend the second balls , KEEP HIM OUT OF THE AREA !
And I reckon that he and The Cobbler's Goalkeeper must practice for hours on end together such was the accuracy of the latter's ability to find Aki's Chest and Feet with almost every clearance !!...so some credit must go to him...and I am in total agreement with Revived Red's opinion of Aki's control and hold-up play,by far the best exponent of this craft seen at The Crown this season.
The lad sat next to me summed it up when he said..
'He'd soon become a legend with the Clayton End if he played for us !'.
Enough about the opposition though, except that the Manager outhought Leam on the day..and that they had a Midfield trio that really ran and ultimately won the game for them !!.
Although it's an interesting exercise I feel that It's fruitless to attempt to pick out individual failings in our Team's performance yesterday, I'm certain that Leam will have the nouse to see where these existed and will work on them accordingly...which will only add to his growing experience at Managerial level, help him to produce a more balanced side, and ensure him of our continued support. Keep the Faith !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42   #39
God Member

Was 2-1 when I turned up, maybe I'll skip the rest of the season
Old 11-11-2012, 13:22   #40
Senior Member+

Lots of interesting observations on here following yesterdays loss to Northampton. When we got in front at 2 - 1, after we scored two great goals from outside the box, I thought that we would have gone on to win easily. It was really disappointing to see three goals scored so easily against us to turn the game on its head. Not going to repeat any criticisms of individual players already posted earlier because I don't agree with a lot of them. However, at 2 - 3 I could not understand the lack of substitutions from us. As said, Charlie for Will was hardly a change and the substition in the 91st minute was for too late, (did the lad get a touch of the ball?) It was crying out for some height both at the centre of our defence and also up front too. Toto could have been brought on in either position. I would love to have seen him put at centre forward in order to test their defence.

Final observation......
A quote I heard years ago.....
......"A good 'BIG UN' will always beat a good 'little un'"

When the teams came on and lined up in front of the stand we looked significantly smaller "man for man" against their players.
I hope Beatty can provide some of the height and strength needed up front and also when defending corners and free kicks in our box.

Keep the faith, give Liam a fair chance. On Stanley On!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:08   #41

No comments about Northampton game except for IT WAS THAT MAN AGAIN,however I DO feel we have too many loan players at the moment which could well be a demotivator, so would be better with less of these.Yes a big striker is needed but hopefully Beattie may well be able to address that problem. Right back has never been as good since Bateson no longer got picked by Coley....he was a good attacking full back and had a long throw as well ...which is always an attacking advantage..If as earlier mentioned he was to become available again it would be a vast improvement on the current situation, in my opinion.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:14   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Have to agree stevo, also a long throw can be really beneficial as Northants demonstrated yesterday.
Old 22-05-2013, 11:31   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The Fat Trick scorer is a great front man, Can also hold the ball up, lay it off well, very deceiving wi speed oer a short distance, would love him in our front line.
The Guys been released by Northampton, despite being the leading scorer, Would hope he resurfaces somewhere in Div2, The guys great craic, We would never attract him sadly McDees is too far from the ground.
Dazzagee likes this.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:57   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The Guys been released by Northampton, despite being the leading scorer, Would hope he resurfaces somewhere in Div2, The guys great craic, We would never attract him sadly McDees is too far from the ground.
Effective player and did well when he came on in the play-off final.
Nightmare to mark,but we simply couldnt afford him.
yonmon likes this.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:58   #45
God Member

He wouldn't fit in the dressing room for a start.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..