Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Northampton town match thread

Kept my head down until I'd read the postings of those in the know before adding my two penny worth.

Tactically I thought Beattie had it all wrong by trying to lomp high ball after high ball over their defence which were big blokes particular their number 2 who never looked comfortable. Running at them with ball at feet would have been a far better option as the high ball always resulted in at tacks breaking down.
Even at corners futile high balls were dealt with easily by the cobblers when a variation of short or low corners could not have perhaps had big defenders struggling. Beattie must have a few training ground ploys up his sleeve.
In my oppinion Danny Webber either has no legs left or was'nt that interested as he appeared to be cruising and should have been substituted a lot earlier, whereas I was more impressed with our number 24 (I think is name Odejayi).
Northampton were there for the taking but our inept tactics or lack of them were our downfall. Perhaps confidence even after a good run is still a little low.
Fall marks to the small crowd of lads at the back left of our section who never stopped singing ant chanting throughout the game.
Bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2013, 09:23   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
Kept my head down until I'd read the postings of those in the know before adding my two penny worth.

Tactically I thought Beattie had it all wrong by trying to lomp high ball after high ball over their defence which were big blokes particular their number 2 who never looked comfortable. Running at them with ball at feet would have been a far better option as the high ball always resulted in at tacks breaking down.
Even at corners futile high balls were dealt with easily by the cobblers when a variation of short or low corners could not have perhaps had big defenders struggling. Beattie must have a few training ground ploys up his sleeve.
In my oppinion Danny Webber either has no legs left or was'nt that interested as he appeared to be cruising and should have been substituted a lot earlier, whereas I was more impressed with our number 24 (I think is name Odejayi).
Northampton were there for the taking but our inept tactics or lack of them were our downfall. Perhaps confidence even after a good run is still a little low.
Fall marks to the small crowd of lads at the back left of our section who never stopped singing ant chanting throughout the game.
Aye, that's the only problem with having a good big 'un up front, the temptation to overdo the long ball, especially against giant defenders. Kayode, though, has been a very big part of our turn around in form and it will be interesting to see how we do without him in December. Worried!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01   #33
Senior Member+

What struck me most about our performance on Saturday was the contrasting wing play of Naismith and Mingoia. I wonder if they were playing to instructions or according to their own instincts. Virtually all of our threats came down our left wing via Lidds and Mingoia. They were always willing to take on the opposition and cross the ball. By contrast, Naismith was far too ready to drift towards midfield - and to dribble his way into trouble.

Exile commented to me that the most dangerous Northampton player was their left back. He really did have an easy afternoon with so much space to attack down our right. It is worth commenting that the Northampton goal came from an attack down our right where we were outnumbered.

Northampton had done their homework on Odejayi and marked him out of the game. As all our throw-ins are directed at him, this was a problem.

Just one other thought - Tom Aldred was magnificent.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
What struck me most about our performance on Saturday was the contrasting wing play of Naismith and Mingoia. I wonder if they were playing to instructions or according to their own instincts. Virtually all of our threats came down our left wing via Lidds and Mingoia. They were always willing to take on the opposition and cross the ball. By contrast, Naismith was far too ready to drift towards midfield - and to dribble his way into trouble.

Exile commented to me that the most dangerous Northampton player was their left back. He really did have an easy afternoon with so much space to attack down our right. It is worth commenting that the Northampton goal came from an attack down our right where we were outnumbered.

Northampton had done their homework on Odejayi and marked him out of the game. As all our throw-ins are directed at him, this was a problem.

Just one other thought - Tom Aldred was magnificent.
Interesting that RR , when i saw the teams,i thought Aldred/Platt battle would have a big influence on the game and reading their forums he had a great game too, and the game started to swing our way when he went off.
How did Tom do in the air against him?,as hes an handful like our CF
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:32   #35
Resting in Peace

Peter Murphy should have sealed the points for us but he deserves a lot of credit for busting a gut time after time to get into scoring positions in the box for us this season.

Northampton 1-0 Accrington | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:36   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Interesting that RR , when i saw the teams,i thought Aldred/Platt battle would have a big influence on the game and reading their forums he had a great game too, and the game started to swing our way when he went off.
How did Tom do in the air against him?,as hes an handful like our CF
Tom did extremely well in the air against Platt. Platt's main contribution was his ability to hold up and shield the ball and then lay it off - always difficult for a centre back to cope with as you will know. The defender then has to rely on others to prevent that lay off being effective. In terms of tackling and winning aerial battles, Tom was superb. And I must add, well supported by Deano. The penalty decision against Deano was laughable.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:44   #37
Senior Member+

Redraine has now posted the link to the TV clip. Three things are obvious:
1. The penalty decision really was laughable.
2. Where was Naismith when Northampton scored their goal?
3. Murphy really did have two wonderful chances.
Old 02-12-2013, 17:36   #38
God Member

As you know,RR, at the time from our view, I too thought the penalty was dodgy as I thought Deano had got the ball. But, seeing it from the 'other' side (angle, I mean!) he didn't, and I can see why the ref gave it.
Much to learn from the game, especially for JB and his coaching staff, as there will be plenty more battles against four defenders who are a foot taller than most of the Stanley team.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:40   #39
Senior Member+

Difference of opinion here, Exile!!! I thought the clip showed that he did indeed get the ball first. I wonder what others think.
Chubbyman likes this.
Old 02-12-2013, 18:18   #40
Senior Member+

Having watched the clip 2 or three times, my initial reaction was Deano missed the ball, however, re-watching the clip, it shows Deano actually got the ball because the ball was rolling away from the Northampton player, however, the ref may have given the penalty for jumping in to the tackle. Either way, harsh. At least justice was done in this case and Bettinelli came to the rescue.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:50   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Tom did extremely well in the air against Platt. Platt's main contribution was his ability to hold up and shield the ball and then lay it off - always difficult for a centre back to cope with as you will know. The defender then has to rely on others to prevent that lay off being effective. In terms of tackling and winning aerial battles, Tom was superb. And I must add, well supported by Deano. The penalty decision against Deano was laughable.
To be fair Dean got the ball,but can see why the ref give it,just one of those things.
The partnership with Tom will only get better and when Robs fit they will have to perform to retain there places.
Interesting they were thrown together when Hughes got injured at Rocdale and went on a 12 game run of 6wins,3 draws and 3 losses.
This season they were thrown together when Rob got injured at Wimbledon and went on another good run upto Saturday .
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..