Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2016, 17:58   #1

Notts County for die hard away fans?

Flushed by the excitement and general reet good day out watching the lads yesterday, Er Indoors and myself are plotting next weekend's road trip already.

As this will be our fourth venture into foreign battlefields we have presumptuously decided we have now graduated from glory hunters to die hard fans (apprentice grade 1).

We are going via train. £12 each return, and with it being a "trendy" city it means we can both fill our boots in Brewdog and other hipster hangouts before heading to the County Ground. And then celebrate like a pair of giddy p*ssheads afterwards.

So, what's it like? I've run past it once, on a quiet evening, but I imagine it will be a different place on Saturday with the massed ranks of the Stanley boys making all the noise and the stadium rocking to its very foundations when Super Bill stuffs another one in the onion bag?

I've started ticking the days off on the kitchen calendar - Saturday just can't come quickly enough.

Last edited by Lord Didsbury; 04-09-2016 at 17:59. Reason: Asterisked a word
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2016, 19:00   #2
God Member

Re: Notts County for die hard away fans?

Good ground and good view for away fans. If the game in front of you allows a moment of distraction you can see the Forest ground through one of the gaps in the corner and dream of higher things to come!
cashman, yonmon and Lord Didsbury like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 20:52   #3
Full Member+

There was a decent turn out there in the Cup 2 years ago. Most went to an Owl themed bar called Hooters a few hundred yards away. Plenty of good pubs there though so no need to g to the likes of Brew Dog.
smudgie and Red-Osbornello like this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 22:47   #4
Senior Member+

normally let away fans in the sports club bar, although brewdog will be a lot better!
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
although brewdog will be a lot better!
Only if you like fizzy beer and not the proper stuff...
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:51   #6
God Member

good day out especially if you,ve never been before. easy to park and the county fans a lot more friendly than the other lot across the river.
cashman likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:59   #7
Super Moderator

Never mind about Brewdog (whatever that is), never mind about Hooters, get yerselves to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, one of the very best pubs in the country with a selection of fine ales to die for!
smobile likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:04   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Never mind about Brewdog (whatever that is), never mind about Hooters, get yerselves to Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, one of the very best pubs in the country with a selection of fine ales to die for!
There speaks an aficionado on top boozers Lord D.
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:35   #9
Senior Member+

If Notts County away on a Saturday is a "hardcore" away trip, I wonder what Barnet away on a Tuesday night was a few years back ?

It actually had me thinking what has been our most "bonkers" hardcore away trip has been ???

Im sure I remember tales of Margate (away at Dover!) on a Tuesday or Friday night in the FA Trophy a while back?! Im sure Kipax would be able to tell us.
Lord Didsbury likes this.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:18   #10
God Member

Yeovil away on a Wednesday night just before Christmas has got to be up there - wouldn't have missed it for the world though even if the result wasn't what we wanted
Lord Didsbury likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:42   #11

Smudgie - I did say "apprentice grade 1", and it should also be pointed out that our average distanced travelled away is over 150 miles.... None of your popping down the road to Blackpool or Crewe for us! I am in total awe of those who went to Yeovil. Think we need to learn the ropes before being so cavalier.

It does remind me though, that yonks ago I did go to Halifax v Stanley. i think it was 2005. I mostly remember "Ring of Fire" being sung a lot. The same season I also saw a home match. I think it was before the roof was added to the Clayton Road end, and the think I remember most from that was thinking Paul Mullin was not a good footballer and I'd never seen a pitch that sloped as much.

I did once stand on the terrace at Peel Park if that counts towards my die hard credentials. That would be around 1968. It was derelict but a helicopter had landed on what was the pitch to entertain us urchins in the primary school.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:59   #12
God Member

Don't think anybody expects to to prove your credentials as a fan Lord D, doesn't make any difference if you have donkeys years worth of supporting Stanley or have only just seen the light - we're all in it together (in a real way, not the ex prime minister's way )
But, I'm sorry - the bit in your post about Paul Mullin not bring a good footballer?? excuse me but that's a definite apprentices error, please do your homework on Mr. Accrington Stanley & I think you might revise that particular opinion
Old 05-09-2016, 14:07   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Don't think anybody expects to to prove your credentials as a fan Lord D, doesn't make any difference if you have donkeys years worth of supporting Stanley or have only just seen the light - we're all in it together (in a real way, not the ex prime minister's way )
But, I'm sorry - the bit in your post about Paul Mullin not bring a good footballer?? excuse me but that's a definite apprentices error, please do your homework on Mr. Accrington Stanley & I think you might revise that particular opinion
In fairness to him, if he only seen him at the end of his stanley time, i can see were he got that opinion from.
Old 05-09-2016, 14:20   #14

Sure I would, it's just that's how I remembered him at the time.

As for homework, I watched that TV "Exactly" documentary from 2007 last week. Mullin was playing then but I think the cameras followed a few matches, nearly all were defeats and not many goals scored. Great telly though. Anyone on here featured on it?
Old 05-09-2016, 15:41   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
In fairness to him, if he only seen him at the end of his stanley time, i can see were he got that opinion from.
Nah, not having it - I could understand if it was in Paul's time up the coast at Morecambe but I honestly can't remember Mullers having a bad game in a Stanley shirt - that could be cos of my red tinted glasses or my fading memory but in my mind it's 100% fact
MikeA likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..