Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2016, 16:18   #1
Resting in Peace

Notts County match thread

It would be nice to think the recent performances by the Reds would result in a decent increase in home crowd numbers tomorrow, but the Accy public have very poor record in this respect. A great away performance has often resulted in even a reduced attendance. To be fair, our performances after a good result have quite often been a disappointment but surely we can hope for better this time?
I have been doing my best to encourage extra attendees recently, bringing along son and two grandsons to the Crawley game, at which they were enthralled by our second half performance plus the added bonus of some "Accy Aggro". It is too much to expect them to come down from Whitley Bay on a regular basis but I am exploring other options. I brought along a lifelong friend to the Carlisle match for his first Stanley experience but then cocked it up with my constant moaning at our inability to break down the visitor's defence. I didn't realise until I got home that Buxton had been sent off, but in my defence I wasn't on top form that night. I had a bad fall before the game, tripping up on the kerb outside the Crown, landing heavily on my hands and knees and also managing to smash my mobile phone on the ground. 3 times now I have managed this tumbling feat. I really shouldn't be allowed out in the dark.
Anyway, if everyone else had also brought along the same number of newbies our gates would have been about 4000 and 3000 respectively. We can only dream.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2016, 17:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Notts County match thread

I've noticed the Main Stand nowhere near as full as it usually for the last few games, the only thing I can think of is that most of the Main Stand is known for the older fans so as the recent postponements put them off "Chancing it"?
Old 22-02-2016, 17:49   #3

Average attendance last season 1478
Average so far this season 1545

Moving in the right direction at least
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:04   #4
God Member

Professor Coleman was spot on in his post-Oxford interview when he suggested this game will be tougher than last Saturday's.
Notts County got a lot of dog's abuse from their fans after the defeat to Orient and it's never easy to predict what a managerless and 'wounded' team will do next time out. They are certainly underdogs.
Stanley will need to change their preferred tactic of coming from behind. An early goal or two might just knock the wind out of County.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:18   #5

As we move towards the business end of the season every game takes on monumental importance.
I have a funny feeling we may come a cropper tomorrow and undo our good work.

I'm a bit worried about midfield lacking drive if Crooks or Coneely (stand out on Sat)l have to play centre half.

Also attacking options suddenly a bit thin on the ground if we need to change things around.

Hope these worries are not realised and a big gate is on as the team deserve it.Are the good folk of Accrington allergic to quality football or something.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 18:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Professor Coleman was spot on in his post-Oxford interview when he suggested this game will be tougher than last Saturday's.
Notts County got a lot of dog's abuse from their fans after the defeat to Orient and it's never easy to predict what a managerless and 'wounded' team will do next time out. They are certainly underdogs.
Stanley will need to change their preferred tactic of coming from behind. An early goal or two might just knock the wind out of County.
Exactly. High tempo, high pressing game, with a few no nonsense tackles thrown in for good measure. One of pierro or Sean to look to get into the area on every attack and give their defence a few nightmares.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:02   #7
God Member

Etheridge

Halliday, Pearson, Hughes, Wakefield (I'd prefer to Buxton as he'll be injured for another fortnight if he plays tomorrow)

Mingola, Crooks, Conneely, McConville

Boco

Kee

Buxton as the only recognised defender on the bench with Procter and/or Barry to fill in as required

hit 'em early and hit 'em hard, they'll fold like a foldable thing and we'll avalanche them in the second half. 3 or more goals and we hit 3rd spot if Exeter can do Oxford
Tom D likes this.

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 22-02-2016 at 19:04.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post

Hope these worries are not realised and a big gate is on as the team deserve it.Are the good folk of Accrington allergic to quality football or something.
I hope so too but it's up against Arsenal v Barcelona and Juventus v Bayern on TV and Burnley v Notts Forest at Turf Moor. If you were a neutral and those were the options I doubt Accy v Notts County would be top of the list.

Same thing happened last season and the crowds were poor in midweek. Why not play on a Wednesday when nobody else is?
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:30   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Going back, all the midweek games used to be weds, suppose it interferes wi the money men now?
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 22-02-2016, 20:28   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I've noticed the Main Stand nowhere near as full as it usually for the last few games, the only thing I can think of is that most of the Main Stand is known for the older fans so as the recent postponements put them off "Chancing it"?
As an octogenarian Baldy, who has sat in the main stand for what seems absolute ages now, I would 'chance it ' at any time and in any weather just to watch my team play !. Perhaps you are referring to the free meat pie lads and lasses who inhabit the director's box now and again ?...gaps have begun to appear in that hallowed place and this is worrying !.
AccyMad likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 21:12   #11
Full Member+

Perhaps the newly appointed MD should take note and stop peeing of fans, No fans=no football club. I am afraid I will not be attending the ground next season thanks to the arrogance of the MD, I will always wish the team well but this egotistical anti disabled bully has got in charge I am afraid my money will spend on other things.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 21:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Perhaps the newly appointed MD should take note and stop peeing of fans, No fans=no football club. I am afraid I will not be attending the ground next season thanks to the arrogance of the MD, I will always wish the team well but this egotistical anti disabled bully has got in charge I am afraid my money will spend on other things.
Chris, what is the difference in cost from what you paid last year to this, is it worth giving up watching the best team in our town?
If it is enough to stop you coming to the Crown/Wham, I am sure that there are many on here, myself included, who would be happy to make up the shortfall, in order to ensure we do not lose another loyal fan.

I appreciate that there is a 'principle' involved here, but there is also an old saying about 'cutting your nose off to spite your face'
Maybe it is time to gracefully admit defeat in a situation which, however regretfully, you are never going to win, as other events recently, regarding staff changes etc. show that this new regime does not particularly care about those who have spent many years either supporting, or indeed, working for the club.
Eric, despite his many failings, would never had treated people in this way.. hopefully, he is not turning in his grave!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 21:53   #13
God Member

Could Dr.Proctor handle being a CB for the night? Got the height and there's less running around.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 07:50   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Etheridge

Halliday, Pearson, Hughes, Wakefield (I'd prefer to Buxton as he'll be injured for another fortnight if he plays tomorrow)

Mingola, Crooks, Conneely, McConville

Boco

Kee

Buxton as the only recognised defender on the bench with Procter and/or Barry to fill in as required

hit 'em early and hit 'em hard, they'll fold like a foldable thing and we'll avalanche them in the second half. 3 or more goals and we hit 3rd spot if Exeter can do Oxford
When was Buxton injured? He was sent off against Carlisle for 2 yellow cards which is why he missed the game against Oxford, but I believe he is available for tonight. Your not thinking of Joe Wright or Tom Davies by any chance are you. Joe is back at Huddersfield receiving treatment for a ankle problem and Tom was sent off against Oxford so wouldn't be available to play anyway.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 08:09   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I hope you have a rethink on this Christ you,ll no doubt miss going and I no it,s a principal thing like I,ve said have,nt met Mr. Burgess so can,t comment on him personally but I know one thing I,ve learned in life is not to give in to any form of bullying they ultimately come unstuck so come on chin up and follow your sporting love.
yonmon likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..