Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2004, 23:55   #1
Junior Member+

Old Stanley book

Hi, as a Stanley fan from afar, I am always interested in the news from Accrington and I am an avid collector of all things Stanley.

Just recently I came across a book which I think might be of interest some 50 years down the line.

It's entitled "The Best Season Ever, The Story of Accrington Stanley in the Season 1954-55". It's a small hardback book of 144 pages, which details from the season, the players, a few photographs and some cartoons - priced 1s 6d (that's 7 1/2p to you younger ones). It was printed by Cambridge Press (Clayton-le-Moors) Ltd.

I was born in Accrington in 1957 and lived in Clayton-le-Moors and Huncoat until 1962 when the folks dragged me down South.

I don't want to part with the book but I would be interested to know if there are many still around or if it has been reprinted.

I live near Exeter now but occasionally manage a trip to the Crown Ground - last season to see Exeter City play (okay... not the best of days!).

My father was a avid fan, spending many a distressing afternoon at Peel Park, wondering where the next win was coming from. However, things are looking up now and hopefully he will be joining me at a home game or several next season... his nearest team now is Forest Green Rovers!

A colleague of mine saw someone wearing a Stanley shirt in a pub in Sidmouth recently, was this a holidaymaker or can I be happy that there are more than one of us in Devon?

Any replies would be welcomed. I can be emailed at [email protected] or messages can be left here, I guess.
DevonStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2004, 00:06   #2
God Member

Re: Old Stanley book

I monitor e-bay for anything Accrington related (not just stanley) and have done for over a year.. Can't recall seeing that book title at all.
Old 29-06-2004, 07:30   #3
Super Moderator

The book was published to commemorate Stanley's most successful season ever in the football league and is now as rare as hen's teeth. Kipax, it has turned up on ebay, but it was over a year ago, so you might have missed it. A golden opportunity for the club to get together with some local printer for a reprint to generate extra revenue perhaps?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 07:38   #4
Super Moderator

Incidentally, there's a copy of Mike Breedon's Accrington Stanley - A Complete Record 1894 - 1962 on ebay at the moment. Fascinating reading for anybody with an interest in Stanley's history, but it's got a starting price of thirty quid, so be prepared to get yer hand in yer pocket!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 10:53   #5

I to have the Best Season Ever book !954/1955,it is a great book and commemorates
a very good fooballing team,for me they played some very fine football at that time
which was reflected in the gate returns,oh what might have been!!.
Accyplus
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 12:31   #6
Resting In Peace

It is a very good read the 'Best Season Ever' handbook. I am sure that it states somewhere that the big terrace at the Huncoat end of the ground had a safety certificate for 11,000 spectators. It also states that the Directors have thought about ways to heat the stands and maybe terracing, and even tried mobile gas heaters in the Directors stand. Plenty of interesting items in the book. I don't think that it is too rare, there are still probably plenty in Accrington.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 16:59   #7
Junior Member+

Thanks for all your contributions, it looks like its not too common, I can't imagine all that many were sold in 1955, probably less than 2,000.

I like the suggestion that the club could reprint it to make some cash. But, I wonder how many people would buy one and at what sort of price to make it economic.

I too noticed the "Complete record..." on ebay, it seems quite expensive. There was one on ebay a few weeks ago, I can't remember how much it went for, so there are plenty of those around. I think it was published in 1991.

On, Stanley on!

Stuart
DevonStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 17:04   #8

Here's hoping for a new edition of 'The Best Season Ever' to be published next autumn, but referring to the 2004-2005 season about to start, with a full-time professional squad! I can't wait!
Chester Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..