Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2017, 20:17   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Oldham

Chapman (unless keeper signed)
Pearson Richards Beckles Donacien
Clark Conneely Nolan McConville
Jackson
Kee
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2017, 20:25   #17
God Member

Good guessing, 28. Will be surprised if it's not that starting XI.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Chapman (unless keeper signed)
Pearson Richards Beckles Donacien
Clark Conneely Nolan McConville
Jackson
Kee
Excepting Chapman, that was our starting XI today & after watching various combinations over the four friendlies, think it's our best by far.
On todays performance, I'd be surprised if the new young goalkeeper isn't offered terms.
We've also got good sub cover in Mcleod (great goal today) & Sousa for Clark/McConville.
At the back, Sykes & Ogle have proved very capable & Hughes will always be in contention for a starting place.
After today, I'm optimistic that this squad will prove to be real contenders for promotion.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:37   #19
Senior Member+

Not sure of his situation.
I think he's still contracted to Manchester City so probably on loan.
Think he should have saved the second goal.
Old 23-07-2017, 09:14   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Not sure of his situation.
I think he's still contracted to Manchester City so probably on loan.
Think he should have saved the second goal.
Any name besides A.Trialist.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:20   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Any name besides A.Trialist.
Aslong as its not Joe hart I'll be happy
TJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 13:46   #22
God Member

I'd be more than happy with Joe Hart!! Well.- I can dream
cashman and Chrisr like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 19:15   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
So after the four home friendlies, anyone care to guess the starting XI for the first league match?
The Don. I still think he is more effective up front on the wing rather than defence, although he is good in both positions. putting balls in at pace accross the front of goal he is ace. I hope Coley notices and uses this additional strength as needed.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 20:41   #24
God Member

If they can develop an understanding with whichever combination of 'wingers' (Clarke/McConville/McCleod/Sousa) is used, both The Don and Matty Pearson have the attitude and ability to be an effective attacking force, getting crosses/shots in from the wide positions.
But when Stanley are in possession in their half down one wing, I would like to see the player on the opposite wing make use of the full width of the pitch more often. Most times they seem to drift in, as though they are 'marking' the opposing full back, rather than it being the other way round.
Preston made great use of always having an unmarked player on one or t'other touch line.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 18:24   #25

Watching the recent friendlies, the BIG difference that marked the superiority of higher league teams was not necessarily individual skill but how,
when in possession, their players immediately looked for space to receive the ball.
PNE in particular could win the ball back in their own box and with 2 or 3 lightning passes, be inside ours.
I was amazed how often the blighters always seemed to have unmarked men available & always found them with pinpoint accuracy, all at double-quick time.
I think most of our opponents would agree that we are a team who try to follow the philosophy of the 'beautiful game'
I truly believe our current squad have shown the ability to achieve great things this season.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 19:41   #26
Senior Member+

The goals:
https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/new...4072017-goals/
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 22:00   #27
Senior Member+

That reinforces what I thought in that the keeper could have done better with the second goal.
Also he should have collected the cross that led to the pen.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..