Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2013, 20:58   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Oldham Thread.

Looking forward to the match tomoz, Hoping the positive move of reducing prices will attract a good few more than Sat? Starting lineup should be interesting, Hope the ex Watford lad gets a start.
Old 22-07-2013, 21:48   #2

Re: Oldham Thread.

would have thought the uncontracted lads would have an idea of the likely £sd on offer, so hopefully if this is decision week we'll see the 4/5 who featured last game in the side facing Oldham. D'ya reckon young Dawber will get some game time getting used to playing with the defence over the remaining pre-season ?
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 21:54   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Would hope the lad gets 45 mins like in one of the previous friendlies,
Old 23-07-2013, 11:50   #4
Resting in Peace

Don't forget the kick-off is at 7.30, not 7.45! Why, I cannot imagine.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 11:57   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Don't forget the kick-off is at 7.30, not 7.45! Why, I cannot imagine.
To be honest suits me today, makes a difference to some who work though.
Old 23-07-2013, 19:31   #6
God Member

Dunbavin, Hunt, Aldred, Atkinson, Wilson, Joyce, Clark, Hatfield, Windass, Mingoia, Carver

gotta think that is close to our starting XI, with possibly Carver making way for Webber or Naismith. Come on Marcus, nail that shirt tonight
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 19:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Dunbavin, Hunt, Aldred, Atkinson, Wilson, Joyce, Clark, Hatfield, Windass, Mingoia, Carver

gotta think that is close to our starting XI, with possibly Carver making way for Webber or Naismith. Come on Marcus, nail that shirt tonight
Naismith has gone according to Dan
deeayess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
Naismith has gone according to Dan
Thats bad news. very competitive game tonight, both sides went fer it, rare thing in a friendly. Though we were more dangerous i thought when the subs came on?
Chubbyman likes this.
Old 23-07-2013, 21:01   #9
Resting in Peace

Gutted to hear that Naismith has gone, and will be even more gutted if we can't keep hold of Danny Webber. We should have stretched finances to the limit to make it happen. It pains me to say it but Marcus didn't pull up any trees tonight and seems to have put on weight, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but also seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace. It wasn't until Webber and Gray came on that we began to look dangerous up front, with Gray looking surprisingly sharp considering he has been sick coming into the game. He was only denied a goal by a fantastic point-blank reflex save by the goalie. Oldham looked a class above Tranmere to me and we did very well to hold them. With Liddle and Wilson attacking down the left late on we really gave them problems, but for me Nicky Hunt was a class act tonight. Don't know who the big black no.15 sub was but he looked pretty assured and did some good things. Another encouraging performance all round. Why does the poster outside the Crown still advertise a 7.45 K.O., which caused at least one angry fan I know to miss the start and goal!
smobile and Chubbyman like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:09   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Agree thought Webber n Gray looked very good together,made a big difference i thought, n that angry fan yer on about, unless i saw the same guy, there was 2. Little things like that can cost friends, No attention to detail, not rocket science n costs sod all.
Old 23-07-2013, 21:12   #11

I enjoyed the game and we matched them quite well. We seemed to loose possesion to easily at times, but Dunbavin bailed us out once or twice.
I thought we should have had a free kick before their goal went in, the Ref seemed a bit picky. 850 at the game was good for a mid week friendly, I am optimistic we can give a good account of ourselves when the real footy starts.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:27   #12
Senior Member+

Really enjoyed the game tonight and thought Oldhams young team were simply outstanding.
They played the game on the deck and moved the ball all around the pitch in passing triangles,one and two touch and can't praise them enough.
There two wide men were electric,Rooney and Baxter up top were excellent and had pace to burn all over the pitch.
We only started to get a foot in the game when both teams made numerous subs.
For us Hunt got stuck in,but had to use all his experience against top wingers,other than that we were second all over the pitch.
Really bad news if Naismith has gone,he's one who caught the eye on Saturday.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 21:32   #13
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
It pains me to say it but Marcus didn't pull up any trees tonight and seems to have put on weight, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but also seems to have lost a couple of yards of pace. It wasn't until Webber and Gray came on that we began to look dangerous up front...
It was changing to 4-4-2 that made the difference having two central strikers up front.
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 17:13   #14
God Member

As ever, Football 19, your summary was spot on for me. I'd go a bit further and suggest Stanley spent the first half simply chasing the ball. The goal, a well taken free kick, was Stanley's only attempt in the first 45 minutes. They looked outclassed [Oldham must have improved a lot as I can't see them struggling to stay in League 1 this season]. But Stanley improved in the second half and young Gray and Webber offered some threat to Oldham's goal, with Liddle allowing Wilson to get forward a bit more than he could in the first half. Early days yet but, overall, I think the team are showing good signs for the coming season. An experienced midfielder, who can make enough space to be able to lift his head up, would be a nice late addition.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 18:01   #15
Senior Member+

Just say it as I see it Exile !!.Hope the lads watch the match video as we will learn more than them.
I know a lot of posters won't like this,but there shape/structure and movement was akin to Coleys style a few years ago.
Centre backs splitting,Joycy getting ball of the keeper,passing thro Ryan,Proccy filling the spaces,symes and grants movement etc...
Deans marked and played against there front two on numerous occasions,but was still impressed.
Classic comment at half time ---- we could play with just a keeper and a back four and the game would still have been the same !!!
To be fair tho,they were a lot fitter and our midfield was a experimental one with lads also returning from injury.
High hopes for young Carver,so I hope he took note how Rooney played,ie arriving on the centre backs blind side etc..instead of back to goal all the time,(Beattie will be aware of that).
Finally I thought it would be a battle for the left back spot,but now believe lids and Laurence could make a great combination
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..