Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2015, 10:58   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Out of contract players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Cashy, off experience the club will only pay what they can afford so I am sure it will be less !!!
If thats the case, then WHY only give em a week to consider? I'm near sure thats not a proper contract offer?
Old 12-05-2015, 11:09   #62
Senior Member+

We have had this "one week" nonsense with Coleman in the past. It is a nonsense for several reasons, not least that, as I understand it, the players have their holiday as soon as the season ends.

Again, as I understand it, they remain under contract until the end of June. Maybe Coleman thinks it is somehow an expression of his power but he has never enforced that "one week rule" in the past.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:31   #63
Senior Member+

I remember Cooky doing this too, Isn't it they have a week to sign until Coley starts looking elsewhere, but the offer is there until Coley signs a player in that position?
Old 12-05-2015, 14:35   #64
Senior Member+

That's correct Baldy!!,
It's the only industry that you get paid less for having more experience .
Seriously tho,to start building a squad the manager needs to know who's signing and that works both ways and protects the club from being used as a bargaining tool.
All contracts are based on an offer and acceptance,but in football,nothing is guaranteed until the inks dry on the signature .
I know of numerous cases of people saying they are definatley signing only to go elsewhere .
It's a brave stance,but in my opinion the right one
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:04   #65
God Member

still being payed to june so if an offer is not what a player expects then his agent can look around and if nothing better turns up then can go back to initial offer at end of present contract. remember most of us move or in my case moved jobs for more money its simple.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:20   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
still being payed to june so if an offer is not what a player expects then his agent can look around and if nothing better turns up then can go back to initial offer at end of present contract. remember most of us move or in my case moved jobs for more money its simple.
If your contract is expiring at the end of the season I think I'm right in saying you are effectively a free agent from the previous January where somebody can offer you a contract for the next season.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:07   #67
Full Member+

The position with out of contract players is as follows.

Contracts usually expire on 30th June. If a player has not been offered a new contract then the club have to pay the player his July salary if he has not signed for another club by 30th June. This is why some deals don't get announced until very near the start of the new season as their new club doesn't want to pay them their July salary and leave it to their previous club to pay it.
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 12:19   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
The position with out of contract players is as follows.

Contracts usually expire on 30th June. If a player has not been offered a new contract then the club have to pay the player his July salary if he has not signed for another club by 30th June. This is why some deals don't get announced until very near the start of the new season as their new club doesn't want to pay them their July salary and leave it to their previous club to pay it.
I know that's the payment one, just pointing out that players whose contracts are ending can also sign a pre-agreement for next season from January 1st. I think Stanley possibly lost a good player this season because of that ruling. I also suspect that's why Ings at Burnley refuses to discuss his situation until the end of the season, already a done deal with Liverpool by all accounts.
Old 13-05-2015, 20:04   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Isn't it they have a week to sign until Coley starts looking elsewhere, but the offer is there until Coley signs a player in that position?
That seems to my simple mind to be a very odd way to run a football club. I thought the purpose was to sign players who are as good, if not better, than the players they are replacing. Adopting and enforcing the "one week rule" could so easily lead to a player being replaced by one not as good - but possibly at increased cost.

Do the Premier League or Championship clubs have this "one week rule"?
Old 13-05-2015, 20:27   #70
Full Member+

The deadline this year for the club is 16th May to make the offer and the player get a month to respond from the date of the offer.

If Stanley were in the play-offs they would get longer. The rules are more acute for the U24 players and compo.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 20:46   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

The week is utter bullshine as far as i'm aware.
Old 13-05-2015, 21:28   #72
Senior Member+

From when Cooky had this rule, The players have a week from when the new contract is offered before he looked elsewhere, even then the offer is still there until a player is signed as a replacement. That could be 1 week after the 1 week deadline or it could be 1 week before the start of the season, providing a replacement hasn't been found.

I think it helps Coleman know where he stands with what positions he needs to replace early on rather than wasting 2 months hoping a player signs and then tells you he is off elsewhere and more importantly helps get players who want to play for the club rather than letting a players agent tout his player round getting a better deal all summer!
BTLawson likes this.
Old 13-05-2015, 22:02   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think it helps Coleman know where he stands with what positions he needs to replace early on rather than wasting 2 months hoping a player signs and then tells you he is off elsewhere and more importantly helps get players who want to play for the club rather than letting a players agent tout his player round getting a better deal all summer!
I just do not get this line of argument at all. Surely Coleman knows what "positions he needs to replace" because he thinks he can find a better player for that position; not because the current player has not yet signed a contract.

And how can the manager - or anyone else - know which players "want to play for the club"? It may be they want to play for the club simply because no-one else will have them.

In any case, a footballer's career is a relatively short one - and can be cut even shorter by injury. Surely it is only right that they have an opportunity to secure the best deal while they can.
Old 14-05-2015, 00:12   #74
Senior Member+

He can't know for certain what positions need replacing, hence the deadline for a current player to sign before such a date then he has something to work off!

Money always plays a part but to me, if a player signs early on it shows an indication he wants to play for the club, rather than waiting around hoping for a better deal elsewhere.

Obviously players will go if they can get a better deal somewhere else which you can't blame them but Stanley aren't in a position to offer a lot of money compared to most clubs so there would be no point waiting for a player to wait a month or so then come back to Coley and say "this club have offered me £****, I'll sign for you if you offer me £200 more"

And as Lancsdave has said, a player can start looking for a new club in January for the following season, so they have a "opportunity to secure the best deal while they can"
cashman likes this.
Old 14-05-2015, 07:31   #75
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
He can't know for certain what positions need replacing, hence the deadline for a current player to sign before such a date then he has something to work off!

Money always plays a part but to me, if a player signs early on it shows an indication he wants to play for the club, rather than waiting around hoping for a better deal elsewhere.

Obviously players will go if they can get a better deal somewhere else which you can't blame them but Stanley aren't in a position to offer a lot of money compared to most clubs so there would be no point waiting for a player to wait a month or so then come back to Coley and say "this club have offered me £****, I'll sign for you if you offer me £200 more"

And as Lancsdave has said, a player can start looking for a new club in January for the following season, so they have a "opportunity to secure the best deal while they can"
Money is always the factor, given our poor resources,but the fact our wages are probably lowest in league, yeh cant expect a lad to sign within 1 week.? sadly this will always be the case with us,unless someone really gets hold of our commercial side, its the only way,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..