Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2014, 19:53   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Oxford (A) Match Thread

Predict away me owd mucker, i'll give a kiss if yer right.
Old 16-09-2014, 20:16   #47

3-1 :-(
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:17   #48
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thats not good think knackereds the word.
Old 16-09-2014, 20:20   #49
Senior Member+

But what do I know ??......3-1 !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:21   #50
Senior Member+

Awful backpass....... from Joyce! There's a surprise!

1-3.

All over
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:22   #51
I am Banned

Thumbs down Re: Oxford (A) Match Thread

Oh dear

Last edited by st06nc2; 16-09-2014 at 20:25.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 20:26   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Oh dear
Not according to BBC @ Sky?
Old 16-09-2014, 20:38   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

All oer 3-1.
Old 16-09-2014, 20:43   #54
God Member

Odds were stacked against us after the sending off & then to lose Buxton & Mingoia too it became just too big an ask
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 23:37   #55

Left the match with 10 mins to go. Christmas came early for Oxford - Aldred slipped & enabled Oxford to get a smart goal out of nothing. Then young Lumley came out of his area to clear, straight to an Oxfordite who promptly lobbed him. From acute angle I thought Gray aimed a kick (but missed) after the ball went into touch. Petulance at the cost of this match + suspension. Third goal also came gift wrapped. Satnav played up, burgers not ready, heartburn from pie and the bottom fell out of it - knew I shuddav stopped under the duvet ! On the plus side - great to meet Chubbyman & Revived Red.
smobile likes this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 00:29   #56
Senior Member+

First of all, let me thank Chubbyman and the other band of accy fans who made there way down to Oxford.

Stanley started the game brightly, but a well placed Oxford through ball caught out Joyce and the defence leaving us a goal down out of nothing.

A nice instant reply from Carver, despite the announcer getting it wrong.

Oxford scored there 2nd from a weak clearance, although I dont think Lumley is totally to blame.
The defenders should have cleared it straight away and give Lumley a better pass, hats off to the Oxford midfielder who scored, it was a good finish.

Despite the score line, Stanley where the better side and had clearly done their homework on Oxford, applying heavy pressure when ever the Oxford midfield tried to pick up the ball of the defenders. This forced Oxford to go long which Stanley moped up with ease.
To compound matters for Oxford, it was noticable how the crowd had lost patience with the team due to their run of bad results, and they where getting on the players backs, with plenty of booing.

Then came the game changer, the red card. It was difficult to see from the away end, but the reaction of the other players gave me the impression it was a serious enough incident.
The ref didnt give himself any time to assess the situation and produced a straight red.

Its worth saying the referee wasnt great, he gave Stanley very little although he was not the reason we lost.

Stanley managed to keep it 2-1 or the rest of the half despite a small Oxford surge late on.

The 2nd half was a drab affair. The loss of Buxton who had played well was dissapointing, he recieved a smack in the head from one of the oxford players shins in the 1st half.

At no stage during the 2nd half did it seem likely Stanley would get back into the game, There was no game plan, no effort, our central midfield was increasingly over run with Proccy looking shattered and Joyce playing awful.

Oxford played alot of their attacks down the left flank at Hunt who got skinned numerous times, although he didnt get alot of support from midfield.

It seemed it was only a matter of time before Oxford scored again.
When they scored the 3rd it was gifted to them again from a Stanley defensive error.

Oxford went on to have numerous attacks and could have scored more, Stanley had no ideas and the full time whistle couldnt come soon enough.

To quote chubbyman 'Oxford didnt win the game, Stanley gifted it to them' I couldnt agree more, James Gray owes his team mates an apology.

Until the sending off, Stanley where comfortable and playing well despite the score line.
yonmon and smobile like this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:04   #57
Senior Member+

For the very first time I've got to agree with DAV .....it was good to meet him/her.We picked him\her up on the East Lancs .What a shock...I think I was expecting a rat like Scouser in a rain Mac but as we got to the bottom of the slip road there was this 6' 2" transvestite of Jamaican extraction with no balls and a machine gun like Scouse accent,an interesting challenge that tested my Hetrosexuality to the full.I think I'm only joking.He has more or less summed the game up well,until the slip ups it seemed we would cruise to a comfortable win,had them totally covered,losing Rhino was a big blow.It was good to meet Long Lost,Red and a few of our scattered Southern fans.it appears I can see dark clouds amassing over the crown ground so I think an announcement is imminent.DAV was saying JC is a changed man,after Rochdale etc. he has had a reality check and lost loads of confidence .......as much as I hate to say it if he's the boards choice(shower of spineless rabbits)then we must get behind him for the sake of Stanley,who after all are the most important thing it this whole scenario .i think this whole sorry case could have been handled much better and the rabbits on the board should remember that without the fans Stanley wouldn't exist.Congratulation Cashy you beat me by 1 on the gate...I don't really think your a wrinkley old fart.

Last edited by Chubbyman; 17-09-2014 at 07:07.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 08:06   #58
God Member

Can't disagree with either Davo's (!) summary of Chubby's (!!) rallying call.

The Stanley back line were pressing higher than Simon Cowell's trousers, and bottled Oxford up in their own half for a good 35 minutes, with their own fans booing their constant back-passing to the goalie. Proccy was gobbling up their long balls before the even reached their forwards, and every Stanley player was harrying and pressing their opponents. 1-1 was looking good and optimism abounded.
Then 'pop', the bubble burst.
Awful kicked clearance from Jo(anna) and instantly punished, although Mr. Lumley at least made up for it with some good saves later on.
Buxton, who had been one of Stanley's strongest performers and created our goal, got a boot (left trailing by their right back, I suggest) in the face. By the way, although this incident, as with the late penalty shout on Windass, occurred directly in front of the linesman, I don't think the official should be criticised; I thought he did very well for a man who left his guide dog at home.
Then Gray got precisely what could have been predicted from an inexperienced and inconsistent ref for his misplaced aggression. I don't know how players prepare for games but I read on the Fishy site that the ref had controlled 6 games and issued 3 red cards and 16 yellows. 'Hang on', one might have expected a player to think, 'that's a 50% chance of getting a red with this guy!'. But it was hand-bags on the touchline, with the same full back who'd clocked Rhino, and off trots Mr.Gray to leave his team mates with a whiole different game to play.
After the break Oxford looked to me like they'd brought on an extra player, and played across the entire width of the pitch with space to spare. We made them look good, although, despite all their possession, Stanley were holding out at 2-1.
But then came Captain Joyce's early Xmess present of the third goal. It was beyond awful, and the straw that broke the back of Stanley's three-legged camel.

But, amazingly, a look at the table and things don't seem quite as catastrophic as last night's outcome, although I am not looking forward to a trip Northampton (one of my tips for automatic promotion this year).

Jings, who'd want to be a manager in League 2?

P.S. Night was not all gloom; it was good to meet Davo and catch up with Revived Red, F19, Chubby and many other good folks.

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 17-09-2014 at 08:10.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:28   #59
Senior Member+

Not a bad summary exile,but I am on the fence with Buxton,for me the first goal was down to him,lost the flight of the ball and it went over his head,lad nipped in,Tom slipped and it's a goal. Poor defending.
Then he redeems himself by getting forward and getting a assist.
For me he takes risks and although exciting causes problems.
Proccy was excellent for an hour and generally we worked hard.
Greys was a red card and I called it straight away very very silly,but you simply can't kick out at someone.
We was always in the game at one down but joycys mistake killed us.
Windlass did ok when he came on,but Kai disappeared the longer the game went on
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 11:00   #60
God Member

Hear what you say about Buxton, F19, but I seem to recall he was trying to cover two attackers when they scored their first, and Stanley's old nemesis (Hylton) made short work of the chance.
Are the 'problems' he causes are because he's too attack-minded for a L2 full-back? Should he actually be given a more forward role, where he can get into the opponents box more readily? Problem is, one candidate he might replace is the team captain.
But agree about Mr.Naismith. Talented but frustratingly inconsistent and he could and perhaps should have been replaced last night well before he started to threaten the parked cars with his long range shots.
As I say, who'd be a manager?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..