Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2015, 23:33   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Oxford (H) match thread

First of all - may I apologise to any Oxford fans.
i thought they where poor when they beat us 3-1 at their place where Gray was sent off, but tonight they where a far better team.

MOM - Windass.
His work rate, attitude, effort, runs, drive and determination rubbed off on his team mates and I think this lad has real potential to become a good league player.
Gornell - good target man,
Proctor - much improved
Hunt - excellent organisation
Bruna - excellent 1st half, tired 2nd half and was rightfully subbed
Winnard - good centre back partner for atkinson, they compliment each other
Naismith - in his short stint, he was a handful for Oxford
Davies - gives the defence so much more confidence and talks to them both verbally and with his hands

Substitutions = well timed and effective

tactics - change of system in the 2nd half caught oxford out for a while, good to see Coley will mix it up to get results, the team where well set up from the start.

Negatives
I still think we look vunerable in defence, although part of that is down to a lack of protection at times from the midfield.

The referee - what a joke. He allowed Oxford to dictate to him when players went off injured, when the injured player would come back on, allwed them to slow the game down and stop the game when it suited them.
He lacked any presence and should never in a million years have booked Winnard - the Oxford player waited for the touch and went down facing the referee asking for the foul!
Stanley should get that card rescinded.
Ironically, not long after he booked Winnard, Hoban for Oxford dribbled past 3 of our players and I think it was Atkinson who took him down - that was a clear booking and he didnt even talk to Atkinson.

Onwards and upwards.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2015, 00:02   #47

Spine of the team is what makes us tick

keeper scott davies

centre defence dean and rob

centre mid joucey and proc

centre forward terrywell done
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:08   #48
Senior Member+

Davo !....I agree with most of what you say except for your assessment of Josh Windlass being the MOM !...admittedly he ran around a great deal but, and F19 will I am sure confirm the fact, he consistently gave the ball away, and showed a distinct shortage of nouse when it came to reading the game !
But that does not detract from the overall quality of the players tonight, and a visible return of the spirit and confidence which has appeared to be lacking for a while.
In fact I can say that the 4-4-2 rotating with 4-3-3 system,when the wing backs were in an interchangeable mode down the opposing centre-backs right and left channels, whilst blocking the diagonal and elliptical runs from midfield and both wings, worked a treat !.
( Did I get that right F19 ?)....
Seriously folks, it was good to see a performance which deserved a win, to witness a 'clean sheet' at last !, and to see the well-earned 3 points widen the gap between the Reds and the dreaded relegation fight !.
Red-Osbornello likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:41   #49
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I believe that it could be 'dangerous' to blow into a 'Vulvazulu'!
Actually Yonmon, my 'horn' is just a little thing that I bought for one of our FA Cup matches about 15 years ago! I certainly couldn't cope with one of those much larger 'VULVAZULUS'. Heh heh!
I think you might be a few years out there Choirboy with the age of your horn. If i remember rightly they went on sale for the Huddersfield cup tie in 2003? Anyway i'm surprised it's lasted so long with the amount of hammer it gets! If the team show the same commitment as you do with your little plastic horn we'll be alright this season!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Davo !....I agree with most of what you say except for your assessment of Josh Windlass being the MOM !...admittedly he ran around a great deal but, and F19 will I am sure confirm the fact, he consistently gave the ball away, and showed a distinct shortage of nouse when it came to reading the game !
But that does not detract from the overall quality of the players tonight, and a visible return of the spirit and confidence which has appeared to be lacking for a while.
In fact I can say that the 4-4-2 rotating with 4-3-3 system,when the wing backs were in an interchangeable mode down the opposing centre-backs right and left channels, whilst blocking the diagonal and elliptical runs from midfield and both wings, worked a treat !.
( Did I get that right F19 ?)....
Seriously folks, it was good to see a performance which deserved a win, to witness a 'clean sheet' at last !, and to see the well-earned 3 points widen the gap between the Reds and the dreaded relegation fight !.
You got it spot on Yonmon !!.
Young Windass showed lots of endeavour but needs to get wired into league two football.
If you run around like a chicken with no head,the crowd will love it but it causes all kinds of other problems.
We give up counting at 20,the times he received the ball and lost it,you can't do that at this level,never won a header or tackle(please get rid of that hair band!)
And rarely took advantage of gornells hold up play.
The lads got bags of talent/technique,he just needs to learn to use it in the right way.
Not like me to be negative !!,and hope someone gives him the match DVD
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post

Think sore losers and what fans think any time their team loses. Was quite funny to listen to after we had won
The commentators were sat behind us and provided many points of amusement. Most of them because although they were physically sat there, they seemed to be at a different game to the rest of us
AccyMad and Greeny like this.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:13   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
Rob Heys back. Please no, he is a criminal end of.

He broke FA rules, he wasn't up at crown court on a murder charge. Whatever it is you're taking throw them away
MikeA, Redraine, Kiwi John and 3 others like this.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:32   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
Miles better than recent performances, good to get a clean sheet and you never know but their lad missing the sitter may just be the turning point for us.

Thought Bruna had a promising debut and has some nice touches. Being critical (am sure F19 will be with me here!), 17 efforts on goal with only 3 on target is not a good enough hit rate
To be sure them stats are utter crap!! The oxford keeper made 2 great saves saving certain goals, we hit the woodwork Twice, plus Terrys goal, so thats 5, not counting the goal; that a decent ref woulda let stand by playing "Advantage" there may be more than that, but being a doddering owd get, me memorys not the greatest, so it makes me wonder JegRed, were yeh actually at the match?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:00   #54
Senior Member+

A great result. It coulden't have got much worse after last week apparently, so fair play to them for turning it round.

Ive missed the last few weeks due to financial reasons ( £20 again last night too expensive for me at the moment unfortunately). But its nice to hear there has been a change, though make no mistake, Oxford are a VERY average side at the moment.

Funny how I mentioned Gornell was one of Stanley's best ever strikers and got shot down by the usual suspect the other month.

Now the hard bit, get a result at Southend on Saturday.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:07   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be sure them stats are utter crap!! The oxford keeper made 2 great saves saving certain goals, we hit the woodwork Twice, plus Terrys goal, so thats 5, not counting the goal; that a decent ref woulda let stand by playing "Advantage" there may be more than that, but being a doddering owd get, me memorys not the greatest, so it makes me wonder JegRed, were yeh actually at the match?
By the way,last night Spurs had 14 shots 5 on Target so does that make us as good as them?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:19   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
He lacked any presence and should never in a million years have booked Winnard - the Oxford player waited for the touch and went down facing the referee asking for the foul!
Stanley should get that card rescinded.
My understanding is that yellow cards can't be rescinded except in cases of mistaken identity.

I had a look at Whitehawk's site and it's interesting to see that one of Bruna's team-mates there was John-Paul Kissock who played 5 games for us in 2009.
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:09   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The commentators were sat behind us and provided many points of amusement. Most of them because although they were physically sat there, they seemed to be at a different game to the rest of us
One would concur with that Dave - bless 'em!
Greeny likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:53   #58
Full Member+

I have to say it was a moderately better performance to start off, We looked like a team who were not together for the first 20 mins. We then had a couple of near misses and our confidence grew and we looked more like the Stanley up to Christmas. I noticed Adam Buxton seems to moving more towards an attackinng role at times and has been very unlucky not to have scored at times, He is a good reader of the game and his defending is a cut above at times. I like to see the look on the big strikers faces when they bounce off him. like running into a brick wall. But Piero is a fantastic player along with several other classy players, the Spanish player shows a lot of promise, I was surprised to see his lack of fitness. But overall I am more optimistic now than I was last week. I think John Coleman was right when he said it was a massive game for him and the club. We can realistically still make the play off's
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:30   #59

Realistically?? Not sure about that. I've just worked out that we would need an average of over 2 points per game to reach 71 points (York City's points total from last season).
Not convinced we can do that. I'd be more than happy to be above half way at the end of the season.
cashman and Red-Osbornello like this.
Local Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Red View Post
Realistically?? Not sure about that. I've just worked out that we would need an average of over 2 points per game to reach 71 points (York City's points total from last season).
Not convinced we can do that. I'd be more than happy to be above half way at the end of the season.
Me also, to finish Top Half is a great achievement fer a club like ours, in fact survival is good given our resources.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..