Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2015, 13:27   #61
Full Member+

Re: Oxford (H) match thread

Hitting the woodwork/metalwork has never ever counted as a shot on target unless the goalie has deflected it from hitting the target and rightly so as they are misses.

Shots blocked by defenders other than the goalie don't count as shots on target either, I think they should, they only seem to count if they are cleared off the line.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2015, 14:08   #62
Resting in Peace

After last night's euphoria having receded a little, just a few random observations:-
We now have the solid keeper we have been missing, with a good kick on him to boot. I don't remembering him making a mess of a single clearance apart from once when his standing foot slipped on a divot.
Piero has a wonderful 1st touch when receiving, often taking the ball past the full back and making space in one movement.
Windass is an attacking dynamo, in spite of what Footy 19 says, and is 10 times as effective as Maguire.
Never has a game gone so quickly for me. I was amazed when half time came up and also had no idea at the time that Gornell had scored so close to full time.
When I think of the apparently dull fare served up last night as usual at Ewood, in a morgue-like atmosphere according to their messageboard, it is incomprehensible, if not nearly criminal that less than 1000 Accy supporters turned up.
AccyMad, cashman and Revived Red like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:08   #63

Chap sat in front of me said before kick off that the Ref was anti Stanley from previous games
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:12   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine;1132898[I
]...it is incomprehensible, if not nearly criminal that less than 1000 Accy supporters turned up[/I].
Twas ever thus, Redraine, but thanks and well done to the lucky 1000 who could make it. The rest of us missed a cracker.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:30   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
You got it spot on Yonmon !!.
Young Windass showed lots of endeavour but needs to get wired into league two football.
If you run around like a chicken with no head,the crowd will love it but it causes all kinds of other problems.
We give up counting at 20,the times he received the ball and lost it,you can't do that at this level,never won a header or tackle(please get rid of that hair band!)
And rarely took advantage of gornells hold up play.
The lads got bags of talent/technique,he just needs to learn to use it in the right way.
Not like me to be negative !!,and hope someone gives him the match DVD
Josh had a very good game, probably his best performance in the matches in which I have seen him play. His work rate was excellent but his decision making was still a bit hit and miss at times. I would rate his performance last night in the context of the whole team's performance as 'Good' whereas the rest of the team as individuals I would have rated from 'Good' to 'Very Good' to 'Excellent'. Josh's effort though was part of a 'Superb' team performance. I wish it was like this all the time!
ps. I slept really well last night! zzzzzzzzzzzz.....
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 14:46   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Hitting the woodwork/metalwork has never ever counted as a shot on target unless the goalie has deflected it from hitting the target and rightly so as they are misses.

Shots blocked by defenders other than the goalie don't count as shots on target either, I think they should, they only seem to count if they are cleared off the line.
Well ok Rhino cleared one off the line n someone else another, which to me highlights even more the stats are a load of crap.
Old 11-02-2015, 14:50   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstanley asfc View Post
I think you might be a few years out there Choirboy with the age of your horn. If i remember rightly they went on sale for the Huddersfield cup tie in 2003? Anyway i'm surprised it's lasted so long with the amount of hammer it gets! If the team show the same commitment as you do with your little plastic horn we'll be alright this season!
I have to admit that my current 'Little horn' is not my original purchase. The original was purchased at the Stanley v Crewe match at Ewood Park in 1992 which we lost 1 - 6 and served me well for nearly twenty years, although I had needed to tape the mouthpiece to the cone a couple of times with insulation tape! Red tape of course!
Three seasons ago at Rochdale the 'Dale Bouncers' wouldn't let me take it into the ground, saying that it was a 'Musical Instrument' and that 'Musical Instuments were not allowed in Rochdale!
So reluctantly I let them 'supervise' it during the match below the stand. When I was on the fans coach returning home I noticed that the red tape had been removed and when I tried to blow the 'instrument' it was not working properly.......The -------s had damaged it!
So I bought a new one from Asda for 65pence when England were losing a match. The second one was not quite as loud as the original but after three years of use I think that it is beginning to 'Mature' and is now performing quite well!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 15:03   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
'Musical Instuments were not allowed in Rochdale!
No wonder Gracie Fields ended up on Capri.
Revived Red and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:14   #69
Resting in Peace

Bob, was not your Vulvazulu also confiscated before a game at Hartlepool too for being a so called musical instrument?
yonmon likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:26   #70
God Member

Quote:
Josh had a very good game, probably his best performance in the matches in which I have seen him play. His work rate was excellent but his decision making was still a bit hit and miss at times. I would rate his performance last night in the context of the whole team's performance as 'Good' whereas the rest of the team as individuals I would have rated from 'Good' to 'Very Good' to 'Excellent'. Josh's effort though was part of a 'Superb' team performance. I wish it was like this all the time!
ON STANLEY ON
I too slept much easier after last night's result - think maybe the tot of rum in me half time brew helped a little but that's by-the-by, wasn't just the result we could celebrate but also the all round gutsy performance from our lads which could not have been further away from the dire showing that was the Northampton match - well done lads!
cashman, Revived Red and yonmon like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:03   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
ON STANLEY ON
Choirboy,as I said in my post you couldn't fault his endeavour,but if your playing centrally in the three,your main job is to link play and get beyond gornell,(third man runner),getting shots off and hopefully scoring.
I accept he was excellent when we didn't have the ball,closing down and working his socks off,but was a bit disappointed at the ease of which he turned over possession.
Me and Yonmon started to count and give up,and against better teams we would have been punished.
Impressed with the keepers talking and organising,but gornell was MOM for me
yonmon likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:04   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have to admit that my current 'Little horn' is not my original purchase. The original was purchased at the Stanley v Crewe match at Ewood Park in 1992 which we lost 1 - 6 and served me well for nearly twenty years, although I had needed to tape the mouthpiece to the cone a couple of times with insulation tape! Red tape of course!
Three seasons ago at Rochdale the 'Dale Bouncers' wouldn't let me myeit into the ground, saying that it was a 'Musical Instrument' and that 'Musical Instuments were not allowed in Rochdale!
So reluctantly I let them 'supervise' it during the match below the stand. When I was on the fans coach returning home I noticed that the red tape had been removed and when I tried to blow the 'instrument' it was not working properly.......The -------s had damaged it!
So I bought a new one from Asda for 65pence when England were losing a match. The second one was not quite as loud as the original but after three years of use I think that it is beginning to 'Mature' and is now performing quite well!
Bob !, you also forgot to mention the absolutely fascinating repertoire of 'blows' which you have developed for the Vulvazulu over the years. Having been treated to a performance of these and the reference to happenings on the pitch which they signify, I can vouch for the immense value which they provide towards the overall support of our Team !....

So ..Long live the Vulvazulu, even if it is disguised as Choirboy's little horn !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
He broke FA rules, he wasn't up at crown court on a murder charge. Whatever it is you're taking throw them away
He also continuously lied to the fans. Not saying he's not a good bloke. Just not very capable and was completely out of his depth.

If in my profession I got sacked for breaking NHS rules I would have to start a new profession. Fact.

Get him back and then change the club name to Tinpotedness United.
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:35   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
He also continuously lied to the fans. Not saying he's not a good bloke. Just not very capable and was completely out of his depth.

If in my profession I got sacked for breaking NHS rules I would have to start a new profession. Fact.

Get him back and then change the club name to Tinpotedness United.
I'm in agreement that the position he was in, was certainly not suitable no question imho. But we desperately need someone to do the commercial side and that he is far more suitable fer summat like that, Its the only avenue i can see, that will make us a viable club. Theres sod all else. I reckon .
Old 11-02-2015, 18:43   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be sure them stats are utter crap!! The oxford keeper made 2 great saves saving certain goals, we hit the woodwork Twice, plus Terrys goal, so thats 5, not counting the goal; that a decent ref woulda let stand by playing "Advantage" there may be more than that, but being a doddering owd get, me memorys not the greatest, so it makes me wonder JegRed, were yeh actually at the match?
Cashy, of course I was. Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough. I always check the BBC website after each game to gauge possession, shots, crowd etc. From last night's game, my point is for only 3 of the 17 efforts to be on target isn't a good enough return for all the effort we've put in to create the chances in the first place. For all that attacking possession, we should be working the goalkeeper more and improving our end product.

By definition the toe efforts that hit the woodwork were not on target - Buxton was unlucky as a great strike and was right behind Bruna's, which whilst unlucky as struck it true and a couple of inches to the right and would have gone in off the post, he should have hit the target IMHO.

I completely agree that game stats aren't the be all and end all of everything, but they can give an indication - just wish they'd add whereabouts on pitch teams have possession.
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Jeg Red; 11-02-2015 at 18:49.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..