Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2018, 11:41   #61

Re: Oxford United (A) Match Thread....

Super Billy, hopefully thats him back on the score sheets week in week out.
Accynewcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2018, 14:39   #62

Exile’s report is spot on. Some early-season questions starting to be answered. Anderton looks a decent bet for the left-back spot. I guess that Ben just wants to play, but its not right that he’s played out of position and subsequently exposed if he comes up against a quality opponent, as he did last night in the shape of Norman. Callum is having one of those patches where his every mistake is punished, I thought he was a bit unlucky with their second last night. We have a lot of young defenders out there, Hughesy is playing an important role in getting them through these games, its a physical league, there was a lot of treatment being dished out by Oxford last night.

Coley’s tactic of trying Sam as a no.10 didn’t work too well, but the switch to have Billy doing that for Offy worked a treat, and Sam shored up the midfield effectively.

Were definitely a bit lucky last night in the sense that Oxford could have been out of sight at HT, but after the subs came on we matched them.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:44   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whats yer thoughts on Ross Phil? meself i think he will make a real good un.
Old 22-08-2018, 19:50   #64

Great report Exile - Shows how observant I am. I had Big Ben down as a left footer...,I’m sure he pings some long balls forward with his left quite a lot?
Chrisr likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 20:07   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Great report Exile - Shows how observant I am. I had Big Ben down as a left footer...,I’m sure he pings some long balls forward with his left quite a lot?
You may be correct, Your Lordship. I like Big Ben but, tbh, just sensed he was on his wrong side from some of his play. As Phil wrote, he and the rest of the defence were up against what I thought were some quick, strong and direct players. I was particularly impressed with their No.16. Having said that, Oxford's 'centre forward' (if such a thing still exists) was pretty ineffective as Messrs Hughes and Sykes kept him quiet. Having now seen him at Bristol and Oxford (and in answer to Cashy's question) I think Ross Sykes could develop into a really good player. Hope so as he deserves his chance.
cashman and Chrisr like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 21:05   #66

Certainly a prospect, Cashy, and having been around the club a while now he's clearly earned Coley's trust over pre-season that he's ready. And to keep Harvey and Ben out of the side says a lot. He's now got a huge opportunity to establish himself in League One, not many managers would put a 19 year-old in such a position of responsibility, so I hope he keeps working hard at his game and repays Coley's faith.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 08:20   #67
God Member

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1216509]Even though he was a local man, I doubt even Inspector Morse could figure out how Oxford got robbed last night.

And then, of course, one difference between the two teams was our very own Sir William Kee. He was stupendous last night.

firstly how many times have we been to a home game and been so called robbed by the opposition. its going to happen to us during the season so lets enjoy the 3 points. as for billy, some had written him off after saturdays game as a division 1 player after 3 games. well done billy keep it up.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 08:39   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1216549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Even though he was a local man, I doubt even Inspector Morse could figure out how Oxford got robbed last night.

And then, of course, one difference between the two teams was our very own Sir William Kee. He was stupendous last night.

firstly how many times have we been to a home game and been so called robbed by the opposition. its going to happen to us during the season so lets enjoy the 3 points. as for billy, some had written him off after saturdays game as a division 1 player after 3 games. well done billy keep it up.
Only those who are a bit short,would write billy off, he had been carrying a foot injury and used Coleys boots the other night, cos they were stronger, Those who went say he had a great game and thats with a dicky foot.
Old 23-08-2018, 10:29   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Just read, the idiot that reports in accy observer says our first goal was an own goal, he obviously gets his info from the BBC, cos they are pretty useless.
Old 23-08-2018, 16:58   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just read, the idiot that reports in accy observer says our first goal was an own goal, he obviously gets his info from the BBC, cos they are pretty useless.
In the 'photo gallery' of the Oxford game on the Fishy site there's a photo of Ross Sykes as he hooks the ball back over the Oxford defenders, and then another of it looping over the keeper into the top corner.
Looked like he did it on the night, the tannoy announcer at the match thought he'd scored, Ross thought he'd scored.
But, heh, don't the BBC always know best.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 18:07   #71
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

On the night exile Oxford United F.C. said it was Ross, Andy Holt told me it was Ross, It just shows to me how inept the BBC sports actually are.
Old 23-08-2018, 19:37   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
On the night exile Oxford United F.C. said it was Ross, Andy Holt told me it was Ross, It just shows to me how inept the BBC sports actually are.
This looks like Ross's goal to me:
http://accringtonstanley.co.uk/wp-co...Sykes-Goal.jpg
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 22:29   #73
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Fan’s View 18/19 no.6 – Accrington at home NewsNow: Loading story...
cashman and yonmon like this.
Old 24-08-2018, 07:33   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To be honest i wouldn't worry that much if i were an Oxford Fan, given all the reports ive seen oer the performance against us, i'm sure things will turn fer em.
Old 24-08-2018, 10:39   #75
Full Member+

I didn't get to the away game but Coley's report was interesting. However I was a little unsure about Sykes but I am coming around to see him as a prospect of good quality. From accounts all round it was a game we really shouldn't have won but got lucky. I will take that as it has happened to us several times. That's football as they say. Good to see young Ogle getting a loan spell at southport. I thought he was ready to play in the first team. I am surprised suisa doesn't get a start more often. Ben should be playing midfield where he belongs. I don't think anyone can say which is our best team yet. After about 10 games we will know a lot more. So far so good.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..